Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not too long ago, I installed BUshwacker fender flares, however, I'm not really liking them too much, and they're making my tires look smaller than they really are which is annoying me:flame: ...

For those of you that have installed the bushwacker fender flares before, you know that there are certain pieces of the factory plastic that must be cut off in order to fit the new fenders. BUT, is there a way that I can install the original flares again? Do you think that Toyota might be able to do the install for the originals?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Are you interested in selling the fender flares? are they the pocket style? can they be remounted on another vehicle?

thanks

Tim

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
What size tires are you running on your FJ that the flares make them look small? Shoot me a "PM" I'll buy them as well.

·
Registered
458 Posts
when I install bushwhacker ... I put wider tires ... try with 8 or 9 .... I like more 9 with of the tire ...... or you can use spacers so tires go flat with fenders ....
as factory ones it still lay around and no one want them ... even for free .... so if anyone want them (factory ones) I willing to give away ....

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
once you install bushwacker flares, there's no going back with your original plastic. I mean, I guess you could try, but there will be cut lines in the plastic and it wouldn't look good. I'm sure Toyota could give you a quote to get all new plastic, though I imagine it would be quite expensive

Your best option is to find someone local who wants them and swap all your plastic, including the bushwackers, for theirs. Another option is to get a set of spidertrax spacers to stick your wheels and tires out a bit further. This helps to fill the large space visually

·
Registered
193 Posts
once you install bushwacker flares, there's no going back with your original plastic. I mean, I guess you could try, but there will be cut lines in the plastic and it wouldn't look good. I'm sure Toyota could give you a quote to get all new plastic, though I imagine it would be quite expensive

Your best option is to find someone local who wants them and swap all your plastic, including the bushwackers, for theirs. Another option is to get a set of spidertrax spacers to stick your wheels and tires out a bit further. This helps to fill the large space visually
Yeah, I agree. I just put mine on a few weeks ago and the old ones had to go through quite a bit to come off. lol. Plus, it would be obvious where you had to cut off the pieces of the factory ones. Everything Ive read also says, once theyre on, theres no going back.... unless you go through the dealership but that would be pretty costly I imagine.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
Another issue you will have is the diameter of the screws is thicker than the stock hardware so when reinstalling stock stuff you will at a minimum have to use the bushwacker hardware because anything bigger might be to big for the plastic mounts your screwing into and smaller your not going to have a good bond.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I think your best bet, by far (and pretty easy) would be to sell them on this forum and buy somebody's OEM fender flares. I personally lovvve the look of fenderless which I am running now. Ya gotta have appropriate sized tires though. Mine are just over 33".

Or just get bigger tires ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts