Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the fuel pump be totally removed through the under seat access without dropping the tank? If you have replaced your fuel pump and have pics, please post those also.

Gary

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Nope.. It's easier to disconnect the plug trough the access under the seat but the seat access port is way too small to remove the pump. Remove as much fuel as possible then drop the tank. Fuel weight is the most difficult part about tank removal though, it's a pretty easy job if the tank is empty. I was hard headed and tried leaving about quarter of a tank in there and had to siphon it out. The fuel lines are "snap" together style no wrenching involved. I have an 07 that's been in Ohio all of it's life so the plastic tank skid bolts were rusted so I left them in place and pulled the tank straps.

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope.. It's easier to disconnect the plug trough the access under the seat but the seat access port is way too small to remove the pump. Remove as much fuel as possible then drop the tank. Fuel weight is the most difficult part about tank removal though, it's a pretty easy job if the tank is empty. I was hard headed and tried leaving about quarter of a tank in there and had to siphon it out. The fuel lines are "snap" together style no wrenching involved. I have an 07 that's been in Ohio all of it's life so the plastic tank skid bolts were rusted so I left them in place and pulled the tank straps.
Thanks for the tips. Did you inspect your old fuel pump? Did it have a lot of dirt, sand, etc. inside? How did the filter look?

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I was having no problems with it. I supercharged mine at 50k mi, and did the urd fuel pump and filter upgrade. The sock filter did have some build up but only directly across from the intake tube where the fuel would most directly be sucked into the pump. The rest of the sock was clean. My FJ doesn't see a lot of off roading and zero sand. I live in the country and it does see dusty roads andsome mud.

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
Toyota dropped the ball on this one. Should be able to access it with out dropping it. But you cant. next pump change I am cutting a hole in the floor & making a plate. I bought a Denso Pump from Advance auto for 200$ best deal I could find.

·
Registered
183 Posts
You can remove the seat and enlarge the access hole to the fuel pump area....which will let you remove it that way. It involves cutting sheet metal. Otherwise, you gotta drop the tank. :-(

·
Desert Moderator
5,688 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
A graphic definition of the word "finesse".
When the dust cloud rolled out of the back seat when they started moving things around, it was kind of amazing. On the other hand, it does kind of beg the question why Toyota engineered it the way they did. I would like to give the benefit of the doubt and think there is some safety reason or regulation that precludes them from putting in an accessibility cover in the floor pan, but it makes one wonder.

·
Desert Moderator
5,688 Posts
When the dust cloud rolled out of the back seat when they started moving things around, it was kind of amazing. On the other hand, it does kind of beg the question why Toyota engineered it the way they did. I would like to give the benefit of the doubt and think there is some safety reason or regulation that precludes them from putting in an accessibility cover in the floor pan, but it makes one wonder.
In reality though, how often does it need to be changed?
I don't think I'd like to try dropping a full tank though, and Sod's law states that if it can go wrong, it will go wrong at the most inopportune time, so I can see the logic in having a larger hole to work through... Especially for those of us with aux tanks which drain first... 160litres is a lot of fuel to get rid of before dropping a tank...

·
Registered
753 Posts
In reality though, how often does it need to be changed?
I don't think I'd like to try dropping a full tank though, and Sod's law states that if it can go wrong, it will go wrong at the most inopportune time, so I can see the logic in having a larger hole to work through... Especially for those of us with aux tanks which drain first... 160litres is a lot of fuel to get rid of before dropping a tank...

Honestly, I agree 100%. I'm kind of deferring here in case there is someone who knows the reason. In the absence of a reason, I agree... it seems pretty stupid how it was engineered.

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
URD has good deals... $165 you pick pump.

Underdog Racing Development..
URD is good and thanks for the Info but I needed on that was on site in my town. But seriously why did they not out a plate in. Dropping the tank sucks because all of the connectors are covered in mud & of course the tank is full

·
Registered
391 Posts
I had to replace the fuel pump on my 4runner (now my kid's 4runner) and its not a big deal if the tank is empty. Drive it til the tank is down below 1/8 full. The plug under the seat once disconnected can be tested for which lead is + and then you can hotwire the pump and purge the rest of the gas into a fuel can. When you drop the tank, you need to disconnect the fuel lines anyway. Just put the end into a fuel can, energize the pimp until it runs dry.

And I suggest you start at rockauto for parts. You can usually find the Denso pumps for ~$90-$100.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Additional tip: if you are going to remove the fuel pump here's another thing to try.

The factory fuel gauge reads E, and the "refuel now" light comes on, when there are about 4 gallons of fuel left. That's 20% of your range wasted, if you refuel at that point.

I bent the wire that holds the sender float so that the bottom of the float is about 1/2 as far from the workbench as it was from the factory. Now, my gauge both reads more accurately (it passes 1/2 full when the tank is about 1/2 full now), and it reads "E" (and the light comes on), when there are about 2 or 2 1/2 gallons left. Plenty to get me to a gas station (15 ~ 30 miles), and easier to make more full use of the whole (tiny) tank.

Nice to find my fuel intake "sock" was almost perfectly clean ('08, with 90k miles).

N

1 - 17 of 17 Posts