Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,,
I have noticed some good pics of blacked out FJs. I was wondering how difficult it is to remove the grill and headlights? Any tricks or hidden fasteners? Any special tools? How much time? Ect. showbox.bio/ tutuapp.uno/ https://vidmate.vet/
Also, my head light lenses are getting a hazed look. How do you get the lenses off to fix this? Speaking of "this", how does one "buff" out this frosted haze?
Thanks, Ramond.

·
Registered
603 Posts
It’s actually pretty easy. No special tools or anything other than basic skills required. Heck, I did it; how hard can it be? 💁🏻‍♂️

Do a YouTube or google search and you should be able to find detailed instructions 👍🏼

·
Premium Member
11,929 Posts
The grill just have to remove a few fasteners on the top and then in the center section there is a white pin which sit on a vertical support - gently pry this off and voilà! off comes the grill.

With the grill removed you have complete access to the head lights for polishing

·
Banned
890 Posts
I would not use my teeth to get some of the plastic push connectors out, again. Had a bad taste for a while. Just use a pocket knife or flat blade screwdriver.

I used Mothers on the FJ and it worked really well. On my Geo Metro I used 3M and was pleased with the results as well.

But to echo the others, stupid simple to get the grill off.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Also, my head light lenses are getting a hazed look. How do you get the lenses off to fix this? Speaking of "this", how does one "buff" out this frosted haze?
Ramond,

After you use the mothers kit to clean the headlights, put the 3M clear covers on the lights to protect them.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
After you use the mothers kit to clean the headlights, put the 3M clear covers on the lights to protect them.
Is this the 3M product you're referring to?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Does the 3M protective film eliminate the issue of the frosted lenses or just delay the process?
Are repairs simply peeling off the 3M film and replacing with another or does the film peel off easily.

This seems to be too good to be true if it works really well.

I need to polish the lenses first and this 3M protective film looks like a remedy to frosted lenses????????

Pat

·
Registered
23 Posts
Is this the 3M product you're referring to?
First, agree with how easily the grill comes off. Of course I broke every one of the push pins but it is, after all, a 2007. For the record, the grill is solid without the push pins in.

I bought wet/dry sandpaper in graduated grit to do the lenses but ended up using the 3M restoration kit. I just found a spray bottle UV resistant spray coating for once I was finished removing the haze. I can reapply it as often as I want. The lens cleaned up enough that I decided not to upgrade the bulbs to LED.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts