Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there guy, I went off roading a few days ago and I finally washed my car today. After washing it I noticed the front had mud stains, which are similar to water spots, but I was unable to remove them by washing it with the usual car soap and brush tools. I then went to Auto Zone to get a Clay Bar kit and tried that, it helped out a lot, but there are still some spots.

My question is, do you know what else i may use to help out the problem? Thanks a bunch for your time.

-David

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
You can try waxing it, or you can power wash it!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hehe. Have you tried that on yours? I tried a bit of waxing from the clay kit i got, it partially removed it for me. I'm going to try to rub HARDER tomorrow. hehe

·
Registered
507 Posts
I wouldn't rub harder... you could end up with more scratches that way. Alot of the stuff that you can get at autopart stores aren't strong enough.

Check out this site for a guide

Polishing Facts, How-To & Tips - Auto Detailing Guide

What you may need is to clay it, then use a good polish to basically cut a tiny layer of clear coat off revealing fresh paint underneath... then use a wax to protect the new fresh paint.

Then next time you go offroading, get the truck washed right away before the mud starts to stain again.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
If clay isn't taking it out, you need to buff it with a polish. Waxing won't help as it doesn't remove anything it just covers it. Try the gentlest hand polish and work your way to more aggressive polish as needed. After you're happy with the result, seal it with a good wax.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tip guys, i'll check out the auto store tomorrow and see some of their polish products.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bummer, I've tried the clay bar and a polish product by Turtle Wax. No luck.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
39 Posts
Turtle Wax - Ice Liquid Clay Bar

Is this what you got? How long did you have the mud on before you tried this product?

That sounds more or less like a Glaze, which is a very very fine abbrasive to remove the lightest of swirl marks. Its a little different then a "Clay Bar."

And just so everyone knows, you need to wax after using clay because it strips the wax off the paint.

The best idea for removing surface stains is to start off with a mild abbrasive. If that doesn't work, you can step up to a rougher abbrasive like a polish, but read up on the techniques and what is required before you start polishing away. Polishing works best when done with an orbital. And always remember you need to follow up polishing with a good wax.

Meguiares makes real nice products. Make sure to get the professional series stuff in the tan bottles though. I like their NXT wax also, its a Polymer, so it lasts long, but it shines almost as well as a carnauba.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Try a little toothpaste, i work at a used car lot and we use it on plastic headlights when they get clouded up, be carefull because it is abrasive but a very mild one.

col

·
Registered
627 Posts
I tried the ice liquid clay bar and it didn't work for me. I have a white FJ.
I personally recommend Maguires car paint cleaner(and yes it will clean white). It has worked wonders for me. After you use it just wax the spot again because it is not a wax. Good luck with the mud stains I've removed my fair share as well.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Like I said earlier... alot of the stuff at local autoparts stores are too mild of an abrasive, some only work to cover up blemishes but don't actually remove them... what it sounds like you need is something a bit stronger.

Meguiar's has professional stuff that they sell at some local autoparts stores... it's a mild abrassive/ polish... you can try that... otherwise the only otherway to get stronger professional grade polish is to find them on online detailing stores like the one I posted above.

Also... an orbital buffer helps cause it heats up the polish/ rubbing compound & it heats up the clear coat making it much easier to take the layer with the stain/ swirls/ scratches out.

If you use a strong abrasive polish... to take off the layer with the stain... you will end up with swirl marks/ fine scratches... so you fix that easily with a mild abrasive polish which takes off the layer with the damage from the abrasive polish... then follow with a synthetic wax (protection lasts the longest 3-4 months)... then regular carnuba wax (just for ultimate shine... but protection only lasts about a month)

If you don't believe me... check out the Car Care Products: Car Waxes to Leather Cleaners, Meguiar's the Leader in Car and Surface Care since 1901 or Auto Detailing and Car Cleaning Products, Tools, and Tutorials - Detailed Image

good luck:)

·
Registered
507 Posts
I personally recommend Maguires car paint cleaner(and yes it will clean white). It has worked wonders for me. After you use it just wax the spot again because it is not a wax. Good luck with the mud stains I've removed my fair share as well.
Meguiar's paint cleaner is really just for very very very minor stuff... it doesn't have much of an abrasive in it... in fact it cover's up fine blemishes rather than removes them. Much easier to use if you have to do it by hand & don't have an orbital buffer... but it is not going to be anywhere near as effective as an aggressively abrasive polish.

·
Registered
507 Posts
That sounds more or less like a Glaze, which is a very very fine abbrasive to remove the lightest of swirl marks. Its a little different then a "Clay Bar."

And just so everyone knows, you need to wax after using clay because it strips the wax off the paint.

The best idea for removing surface stains is to start off with a mild abbrasive. If that doesn't work, you can step up to a rougher abbrasive like a polish, but read up on the techniques and what is required before you start polishing away. Polishing works best when done with an orbital. And always remember you need to follow up polishing with a good wax.

Meguiares makes real nice products. Make sure to get the professional series stuff in the tan bottles though. I like their NXT wax also, its a Polymer, so it lasts long, but it shines almost as well as a carnauba.
I agree

·
Registered
66 Posts
My FJ came with mud stains. I used Maguires Cleaner-polish #83 with a low speed waxer/buffer. The low speed machine makes it more difficult for a lesser experienced person to do damage (not impossible!) unlike a high-speed buffer. I bought mine at Sears on sale for $20.00. I put a coat of turle wax on after polishing, & no swirls. I would be very carefull doing a black rig, they show everything!

·
Premium Member
3,414 Posts
Fixing this is going to be cheaper than a new paint job, but not cheap if you don't have the right stuff.

Two choices:

Take it to a reputable detailer or body shop. The other is to get the tools you need to do it yourself so that if it happens again you don't keep having to pay the detailer.

Check out this site: Car Care, Detail Supplies, Garage Organization, Car Accessories - Griot's Garage 800-345-5789. This would be a good kit: http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+care/car+care+kits/machine+polish+%26+wax+kit.do. They have all the stuff you need and it's all high quality. Give them a call and they'll tell you exactly what you need to do the job. Now with your FJ armed with a good wax you shouldn't encounter this problem again. Good luck.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts