Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK... I've done the search and read a few posts on this.

From what I gather, I need the t40 torx bit and pray that they weren't hugely over-lock-tited. The member I'm selling the rack to is going to provide the caps.

What am I missing here? It seems too easy.

1. Remove caps from receiving FJ (is there a trick to doing this correctly?)
2. Remove bolts from rack
3. Fit rack on receiving FJ
4. Lock Tite and tighten bolts to rack to FJ
5. Insert roof caps to new FJ

Do I need to RTV seal anything? The new caps? I may install a different rack (Yakima style) at a later date. Should we RTV the bolts in the new FJ?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Nnope, just remove the bolts, set up your new rack, retighten everything and your good to go! I removed mine to run wiring for my roof racklights and there was such a liberal amount of thread lock on them from the start, there was no need to add more. Just re-tighted and was good. Been over a year now, and they have not backed out. oh, and there is no need for RTV unless you drill a hole under the foot to pass wiring though or somthing of that nature. The feet of the rack have rubber gaskets.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I would use a 3/8" ratchet with a 40 torx, 10mm socket for the non-rack roof. DO NOT put much downward pressure when loosening or tightening either set of bolts. This will prevent moving the nut and losing it in the headliner. Go slow and take your time, you shouldn't have any problems.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I would use a 3/8" ratchet with a 40 torx, 10mm socket for the non-rack roof. DO NOT put much downward pressure when loosening or tightening either set of bolts. This will prevent moving the nut and losing it in the headliner. Go slow and take your time, you shouldn't have any problems.
If you don't put much downward pressure, you risk stripping the torx bolts though-and they are very very easy to strip.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Make sure no water leaks through the holes(shouldn't though) But if it does just put some silicone.:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
7,729 Posts
I would recomend sealant on the bolt threads just to be safe. the bolts have cup washers with rubber grommets in them but just ask DominicG about how reliable those are. his truck leaked like heck in a rain storm. Just extra insurance.

·
Banned
2,984 Posts
Also remember, the bolts for just filling the holes and putting the roof caps on are a lot shorter than the bolts for the roof rack. And getting the caps off - pull rearward (or in the direction of the arrow on the roof caps) with a little pressure and then pull up. Good luck!

·
Registered
274 Posts
Those caps are horrible.

The swap took us about 40 minutes total. The only problem was that the retainer clip that holds the cap broke off on three of them.

Thanks birch! If that Gorilla Glue doesn't work, I'll drop 3 caps in the mail for you.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
They are "different," aren't they? Strange design for the caps....but they work well when on the truck.
Clips are the same. The bolt is longer with the rack.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Got a pm from birch and I guess the Gorilla Glue worked!
I now have the caps and the replacement bolts.....so now I find out about "retainer clips".

Got any you'd be willing to sell ? Reckon the dealer can order these ?(most dealer parts guys are not very well versed on finding parts, it seems).

Retainer clips required?....or would some RTV do just fine?

I would like the option of putting the rack back on oneday, woithout a major "gummy" hassle.

Thanks,
Ken

·
Registered
137 Posts
You can get the retainers. I dont know the part number off the top of my head, but I got it somewhere. Seems to me they were about $3 each. When I got my FJ with roof rack installed, the retainers were there, just not the bolts and rubber washers. My other FJ came without rack and it had the retainers, bolts and rubber washers. I guess I am surprised you didnt have the retainers. The ones I am talking about look like a figure 8 and have a rubber gasket underneath. If you cannot find the part number, let me know and I will try to find the bag they came in.

Good luck
Jay

·
Registered
952 Posts
You can get the retainers. I dont know the part number off the top of my head, but I got it somewhere. Seems to me they were about $3 each. When I got my FJ with roof rack installed, the retainers were there, just not the bolts and rubber washers. My other FJ came without rack and it had the retainers, bolts and rubber washers. I guess I am surprised you didnt have the retainers. The ones I am talking about look like a figure 8 and have a rubber gasket underneath. If you cannot find the part number, let me know and I will try to find the bag they came in.

Good luck
Jay
Would be curious for the various part #s since I want to remove the stock roof rack.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I now have the caps and the replacement bolts.....so now I find out about "retainer clips".

Got any you'd be willing to sell ? Reckon the dealer can order these ?(most dealer parts guys are not very well versed on finding parts, it seems).

Retainer clips required?....or would some RTV do just fine?

I would like the option of putting the rack back on oneday, woithout a major "gummy" hassle.

Thanks,
Ken
If it helps, I've got 4 I took off still using the other 2 rear ones. PM me and I'll Mail you mine if you want unless they are sold in a 6 pack. Let me know by Tuesday. I am going out of town after that and won't be able to ship out until the next week.
-charles

1 - 17 of 17 Posts