Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guy, I recently bought a baja rack so I'm taking out the factory roof rack. I heard the horror stories about losing a nut in headliner so I've been backing the bolts out as slow as possible. I just heard something fall into the headliner and was sure it was a nut, however both nuts are still here. Any idea what could have fallen, or should I care?
Thanks, Ryan

Edit: it was a nut. Looks like the headliner is coming off.....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Has anyone had this problem but gotten the nuts back without taking the headliner off? Either with a magnet or by some other method?

·
Registered
434 Posts
It's not a nut. It's a bracket. You probably don't need to drop the entire headliner, I didn't. The brackets will probably be pretty close to the edge of the headliner where it meets the body.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not a nut. It's a bracket. You probably don't need to drop the entire headliner, I didn't. The brackets will probably be pretty close to the edge of the headliner where it meets the body.
Great, thanks. I haven't looked very closely at the headliner yet; do I need a special tool to start removing it?
Thanks, Ryan

·
Registered
434 Posts
Panel poppers will probably help you get the clips out. You can get the bolts with a 10mm socket or a phillips screw driver. Which bracket fell out? I had to replace the driver's side front and rear brackets and was able to do it without dropping the entire headliner. It was a bit of a contortionist act but totally doable.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Panel poppers will probably help you get the clips out. You can get the bolts with a 10mm socket or a phillips screw driver. Which bracket fell out? I had to replace the driver's side front and rear brackets and was able to do it without dropping the entire headliner. It was a bit of a contortionist act but totally doable.
It was the passenger side middle bracket. I heard two things fall so I'm assuming one was the clip that holds the bracket, and then the bracket itself. The rest came out fine... go figure.
Ryan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts