Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I experimented tonight, a 6-point size 17mm deep socket is the perfect tool to remove the washer nozzles.
Thanks for the pictures and directions. I want to change out the ones in my wifes 4-runner to the same as the FJ.

Does anyone know if you can buy the FJ ones?

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts
Thanks for the pictures and directions. I want to change out the ones in my wifes 4-runner to the same as the FJ.

Does anyone know if you can buy the FJ ones?
Toyota parts/service - P/N 85381-34030 Nozzle, washer ~ $16.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Okay, I finally got a good look today and it is pretty hard to get you fingers in there to squeeze those clips. Any additional recommendations?
Here's something that might help.

I tried a few times to get the nozzle off a 4 Runner. I even fashioned a homemade tweezers with wire to get inside and undo the clips. But after much frustration I got wire cutters and just cut it with the intention of just cutting like a Rwandan until something happened. Even better would be those end nippers. My intention was to just cut through it since it's plastic but I ended up cutting one of the clips and that worked great. Cut one of the tabs and then it'll just come apart. When you cut just one side of the tab, it releases the other side and the whole thing slides through the top. Get replacements at any auto parts store. I got mine at Auto Zone and they are the spray kind which I think are better than the two squirts per nozzle that came with my 4 Runner originally.

I was so pissed at trying to figure out how to take that thing off that I had to sign up just to let people know that there is an easier way. If you're going to take them off, you might as well just replace them instead of trying to clean them. If you've been using tap water for the washer fluid, the other ones is probably going to stop working anyways with the hard water deposits. So for $15, who cares if you mess up the old ones.

Hope this helps. I know it would have saved me much aggravation. Damn, I need a beer. It is passed noon on the east coast right?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is the nozzle adjustable? I have one that is spraying a bit low on the passenger side.
The ones I got are adjustable. It comes with a little tool that you slide into the sprayer which is horizontal and angle up and down until you get what works for you.

But all of them are adjustable. If you have the pin hole kind, you can stick a needle in it and adjust the height too.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Here's something that might help.

I tried a few times to get the nozzle off a 4 Runner. I even fashioned a homemade tweezers with wire to get inside and undo the clips. But after much frustration I got wire cutters and just cut it with the intention of just cutting like a Rwandan until something happened. Even better would be those end nippers. My intention was to just cut through it since it's plastic but I ended up cutting one of the clips and that worked great. Cut one of the tabs and then it'll just come apart. When you cut just one side of the tab, it releases the other side and the whole thing slides through the top. Get replacements at any auto parts store. I got mine at Auto Zone and they are the spray kind which I think are better than the two squirts per nozzle that came with my 4 Runner originally.

I was so pissed at trying to figure out how to take that thing off that I had to sign up just to let people know that there is an easier way. If you're going to take them off, you might as well just replace them instead of trying to clean them. If you've been using tap water for the washer fluid, the other ones is probably going to stop working anyways with the hard water deposits. So for $15, who cares if you mess up the old ones.

Hope this helps. I know it would have saved me much aggravation. Damn, I need a beer. It is passed noon on the east coast right?
I got the hood decal, so I needed to take these off. I found the guide on this forum, but the photos are deleted. It sounded like it was a pretty simple deal. After sawing , twisting, and pulling , I finally got these destroyed nozzles out. If anyone else needs to remove these, do yourself a favor and go buy a replacement pair at auto zone for 6 bucks. Forget trying to re-use or save these. I tried every pair of needle nose pliers I had, nothing was making the tabs release.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Why the heck are you guys butchering those nozzles when using the 17mm(5/8 also works) deep socket method works perfectly every time and takes a few seconds?

If you want to toss money on nozzles each time, so be it I guess.

·
Registered
371 Posts
No matter how I try this does not work for me. The socket just presses into the hood and the nozzle does not come up or loosen in any way. I really can't understand why this is giving me such trouble when everyone else seems to consider it a 2 second procedure.

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts
No matter how I try this does not work for me. The socket just presses into the hood and the nozzle does not come up or loosen in any way. I really can't understand why this is giving me such trouble when everyone else seems to consider it a 2 second procedure.
Make sure you are using a 6-point 17 mm deep socket.

The nozzle should pop out like this;

·
Registered
371 Posts
Thanks for your help guys. For some reason, they just would not come out by pressing on the socket.

However...When I tried TURNING the socket slightly back and forth...*POP* right out them came!

Thanks. Got my hood decal on.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Graphics Dr. On ebay. His seemed to fit the shape of the hood better than others out there.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
371 Posts
Negative. It's very close but not perfect. The sides result in the largest gap. Approximately 1/4". At the front and rear the decal is within 1/8 to 1/16" from the creases in the metal.

I helped a friend install one on Easter and it had identical fitment on sides, front, and back.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
I have a client that says he can do these for $40.00 each. Same 3M product and for an extra $10.00 custom cut graphics in it. I'm going to his shop on the 10th to see how close we can get his cutting machine to match the roof lines. Jami (his designer) says it will be a pain in the butt because it so curvy but there is no reason the decal should not be a near-perfect fit. If programming proves to be too much of a bugger, he will cut my logo into it and hand cut the edges. Pics will be posted soon.

Not trying to be too much of a pain in the butt but I agree $70.00 is way too much for these bib decals (unless shipping is free or you live in Cali).

·
Registered
9 Posts
So I read this thread through and through. I must say it feels pretty awesome to have such a great community of senior and new fj owners offering do it yourself assistance. I just got home from work, grabbed a mini flat head, flash light and an old flannel and got under the hood. boom - done in 10 min flat for not having the socket (which i think is a great idea by the way). just be patient and it will work with the screwdriver. Got my flat black decal from Crawlorado - Rock Crawling 4x4 Colorado Style as well. Quality is pretty awesome for the price (80 with shipping and squeege) will put the decal on in just a moment...pics to follow...

·
Registered
338 Posts
41 - 60 of 67 Posts