Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

First of all I would like say many thanks to everybody who shared information here. I was reading this forum for a while before I purchased my FJ less than two months ago. This forum is a Goldmine for me and, I am sure, for many people. One happy FJ owner more on the Planet!:clap:

Now it is time to do some mods. I looked topics regarding Service and Repair manuals many times, and downloaded 2007 manual from couple places before I purchased my FJ.

I felt pretty save with 2007 manuals, as I did not expect Toyota to change a lot. I was wrong. Yesterday I was looking for couple of wires to hook my AT temperature digital gauge and discovered all harnesses on my ECM have absolutely different size and shape, wired differently and even number harnesses is different. Now I think Engine, Transition and other parts of the manual will be affected as well, as they have lots of cross-references.
Search in internet returned nothing. I called dealer. They quoted me 4 parts $995 total.
Part One: $230
Part Two: $260
Part Tree: $290
Part Four: $175

I wonder what can be so expensive in those books, as I remember few years ago I purchased OEM Repair Manual for my new Honda Accord for only less than $70 with everything in it!

I wonder if anyone knows a place to download or get manual I am looking, or at least Wiring Diagrams Part Four?

Thanks for any info.

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
The paper manuals are HUGE, several inches thick. They have always been expensive, but they keep getting bigger (thicker) and more expensive every year. I bought my paper '07 FSM's second-hand here on the forum at a large discount. It might take a while for some used '11 manuals to show up though. Check ebay and craigslist?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yes I did. I would be even happier with an electronic copy, but it is always 2007, which I already have.
https://techinfo.toyota.com/

You can get unlimited access to the repair manual, wiring diagrams etc. for 2 days for $15 and save anything / everything you want.

They make it kinda difficult to save the whole manual, but you can find handy tools to make quick work of it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
599 Posts
How hard would it be to download most/all of the 2011 FJ standard manual? Is this even possible through this service?

·
Registered
88 Posts
How hard would it be to download most/all of the 2011 FJ standard manual? Is this even possible through this service?
Oh it can be done lol

All we need to do is get a team togeather. I will download page 1-50 you download pages 50-100. We upload all our sections to a host server and presto we all get the full version for a fraction of the cost.

Cheers
FJGav

·
Registered
532 Posts
https://techinfo.toyota.com/

You can get unlimited access to the repair manual, wiring diagrams etc. for 2 days for $15 and save anything / everything you want.

They make it kinda difficult to save the whole manual, but you can find handy tools to make quick work of it.

Good luck!
What file format is the manual in? PDF? I'm kind of steamed that Toyota doesn't even sell the 2011 FJ manuals in a paper version, humongous or not. At least that's what the parts guy told me. :disgust:

·
Registered
599 Posts
OK -- I bought the 2 day service for $12 and I can tell you as an IT professional that they have made it VERY hard to download from their site. Frankly its hard just to load it at all.

I have a blazing fast internet connection and it was taking 4-5 seconds a page. Even if I was to save each page as a pdf it would like a long time to do thousands of pages. We need someone inside Toyota to cut us a real PDF.

For what it is worth, I don't think their site is slow, buggy, and hard to navigate to stop downloaders, it just a crappy service.

If I had one comment for Toyota it would be to sell us the PDF for $25. Frankly who wants all the huge paper manuals anyway.

·
Banned
9,079 Posts
OK -- I bought the 2 day service for $12 and I can tell you as an IT professional that they have made it VERY hard to download from their site. Frankly its hard just to load it at all.

I have a blazing fast internet connection and it was taking 4-5 seconds a page. Even if I was to save each page as a pdf it would like a long time to do thousands of pages. We need someone inside Toyota to cut us a real PDF.

For what it is worth, I don't think their site is slow, buggy, and hard to navigate to stop downloaders, it just a crappy service.

If I had one comment for Toyota it would be to sell us the PDF for $25. Frankly who wants all the huge paper manuals anyway.
I just did it yesterday. Took 6 hours of nothing but clicking the mouse. :(

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts

OK, when you download it, was it really page by bloody page????? And I still don't know what format it's in when it's downloaded. :confused:

·
Registered
599 Posts
OK, when you download it, was it really page by bloody page????? And I still don't know what format it's in when it's downloaded. :confused:
There is no downloading anything, you just bring up a page and do a "Save As..." or (preferrably) print to PDF. Even when you are done you have a zillion pdfs you need to rename and organize...with no index or TOC.

Suck.

·
Banned
9,079 Posts
I used MS One Note to save the pages. It captures all the content and names each sheet for you. If you do it in order then you can stop at each major section and move that batch to a new workbook and rename it accordingly. Everything staus organized and the text is all searchable. If you want you can then pdf the workbooks aftwerwards but I found that that wasn't as easy to use as the pages dont break evenly becuase the source was a webpage (on continous sheet).

·
Registered
532 Posts
Oh for crying out loud! What a bunch of $%#*! That's crazy! I've bought the manual for every vehicle I've ever owned and I used to work as a mechanic. WFT is wrong with Toyota? I don't want to do ALL the repairs on my FJ, couldn't afford the tools, but I'd like to at least know what's going on if and when I have the dealer do some work.

It'd make it easier if the dealer did decent work in the first place. Not that I don't distrust him, heh, heh. It's just that I don't have the warm and fuzzies when I received my spanking new FJ with all 4 tires overinflated to 45 psi. In fact, I don't think they even did what we used to call in the dealership I used to work for an "A Service". :disgust:

Thanks lqdchkn. I'll look into that.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
Where is chilton when you need a good manual? I have these for the rest of my vehicals and they are great.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Oh for crying out loud! What a bunch of $%#*! That's crazy! I've bought the manual for every vehicle I've ever owned and I used to work as a mechanic. WFT is wrong with Toyota? I don't want to do ALL the repairs on my FJ, couldn't afford the tools, but I'd like to at least know what's going on if and when I have the dealer do some work.

It'd make it easier if the dealer did decent work in the first place. Not that I don't distrust him, heh, heh. It's just that I don't have the warm and fuzzies when I received my spanking new FJ with all 4 tires overinflated to 45 psi. In fact, I don't think they even did what we used to call in the dealership I used to work for an "A Service". :disgust:

Thanks lqdchkn. I'll look into that.
I don't think they over inflated your tires. All new FJs come with 45 on the door card and old FJs had a recall to update to 45 psi..

And I agree that sucks we need an affordable repair manual.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
4,894 Posts

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Anyone know how to find the Suspension (SP) section of the manual?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts