Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its still snowing up there! All you that were there in 2008 remember the mass amounts of snow that were still up on the top of the passes...way cool to have snow in July!

Check the cams:
Telluride, Colorado | LiveCams

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Where are you from? This is pretty typical of the CO mountains. I've seen snow in August before.

·
Premium Member
8,285 Posts
That's one reason the summit is always near mid-summer, so you have the best chance of clear trails but nothing in life is certain.

On a related note, the Sierra Nevada Range in northern California had 160% of normal snowpack this year, which means the Rubicon Trail won't be clear enough to run in June for the TLCA Rubithon. They had to postpone it to July and hope it's clear enough then.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
This is colder and wetter right now than 2008. Yes the high country can get snow 12 months out of the year. But, the snow level is lower right now. It can change with a temperature increase. It put down about an inch of hail today in Vernal, Utah. I wish this will go South and give Texas a bath.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We need a bath down her in Texas, no rain this year, at least not enough to count. Snow in the mountains this time of year is not a crazy thing but ya gotta admit this year was epic in terms of snowfall....we shall see what it looks like in July.

·
Registered
255 Posts
2007 over Imogene Pass

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
We are running a week later than in '07/'08 so hopefully the trails will be more open than they were in '07, but yeah, we have a LOT of snow up there still.

I will say, the trials (difficulty wise) were the most fun those years because they were very wet and variable.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
Since I missed the first Summit, it would be kinda cool to cruise thorough some deep cuts. However, I'd hate to have so much left that any trails are still closed.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Vail set a new record for snow this year with over 500 inches. I was in the mountains last weekend and the rivers are really coming alive. The Colorado through Glenwood Canyon will be enormous this year. Lookout for flooding.

·
Premium Member
2,100 Posts
the trails are the tourist attraction in the Ouray area. They will do everything possible to have them open I am sure.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
In 08 the park service opened up Black Bear the first day of the Summit, from what I remember, they made a special push to make sure it was open for us. One of the coolest things to see was the party going on at the top of Imogene on the Saturday. Prolly 300 people up there with kegs buried in the snow, P.A. system, and a slalom course for snowboarders and skiers to race on...defiantly a locals party.

Oh yea, thanks for sharing those photos, quite cool!

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
They don't usually make any effort to open up Poughkeepsie Gulch so that one will probably be closed unless a lot of hot weather sets in very soon; and I haven't checked to see if there are even any scheduled runs for it or not. At least nobody will be rolling their FJ on it this year. :)

Jim

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:lol:

8" of new POW at A Basin today...let's hit the slopes!

·
Premium Member
2,793 Posts
:lol:

8" of new POW at A Basin today...let's hit the slopes!
Was just there two days ago!

We do have planned runs for poughkeepsie, but I'm sure it will be mostly open (not up and over maybe). We'll work with the forest service on all the trails.

BTW, that ski/snowboarding event takes place every year on Imogene, I found the link at one point, but can't find it now. If there is enough snow, maybe I'll participate!

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Third day of rain here in Junction. Good snow storm across Vail Pass yesterday, but it melted off in town pretty fast. Rivers are high, but not as high as I have seen them in the last five years. Even the gulch in Canyon Pintado had a lot of water in it.

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
Looks like more rain and snow next week, as well.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Repeat of four years ago???
Could be... I spoke with the Ouray Ranger District this week and they confirmed that the snow pack is significantly deeper than usual. Still, two months is a lot of weather days left.

I scheduled 2011 vacation in 2010 and we bailed on the late July visit this year, specifically because the kids wanted to see more of that white stuff. We will be in the Lake City, Creede, South Fork area in mid June... and camping will be at much lower altitudes this year ;)

I'm a bit bummed that our 4WD trail options are going to be squashed; but the kiddos should be thrilled. My kids haven't see more than a few inches of white stuff at a time. In mid June, it's still going to be everywhere.

:cheers:

·
Catalyst
9,205 Posts
They don't usually make any effort to open up Poughkeepsie Gulch so that one will probably be closed unless a lot of hot weather sets in very soon; and I haven't checked to see if there are even any scheduled runs for it or not. At least nobody will be rolling their FJ on it this year. :)

Jim
I imagine it will be open. Even one year when I heard it was blocked by snow on one end, we didn't have any trouble getting through. So, even a week between reports up there can make a huge difference....just a few days in the 70s & 80s in the region can melt a lot of it....and then, especially if someone cuts into it a bit before we get there and tries to get through....even if they don't make it, it usually opens up enough of a meltway that ends up clearing the tough spots.

By the way, I'm no mathematician, but wasn't 2008 just three years ago? :cheers:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts