Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the rear pads on my gf's FJ. They were squealing and when I took them off they were about half worn... I replaced them with pads from NAPA and the squeal is gone but now they make noises like the pads are rubbing the rotor? The inside pad was really hard to get back in but the outside ones went in with ease. The old pads are barely half worn. I might have to put them back in. Anyone have any ideas

·
Registered
127 Posts
Did you compress the piston before you put in the new pads? Pad will ware down eventually and equalize itself.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Although I have never replaced brake pads on my FJ, my experience on my Corvette racecars have caused me to always replace brake pads on all 4 corners at the same time, when the rotors are compressed to clear the new pads always relieve the pressure to prevent "pad drag", and use the break-in proceedures specified by the pad manufacturer. Also, depending on which type of pad you purchased, (ceramic, metalic or organic), the pad may sound & behave different from the stock pads.

·
Registered
127 Posts
You should be good with your backround. Just looking for an answer. have not changed pads on our 11 but hear that the parking brake is different (semi drum) on the rear.

·
Registered
6,954 Posts
I always turn my rotors so the new pads have a perfect flat surface to break in on...Second...the rear pads are spec ceramamic...Did you install the stock shims behind the new pads? Once you pulled the rotor off the rear how did the E-brake shoes look like on the inside of the rotor...You also should compress the rear caliper away or back from itself to allow enough room to insert the new pads...these are held only into place by clips...If you missed or neglected to perform any of these steps...you may have troubles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took the aftermarket pads out and put the old ones back in, and the noise is gone except there is a new squeak but that went away in a few miles. The only thing that is wierd now is they will make a sqeek noise when the truck is going around a hard corner or stopping at the lights and turning either right or left. I have never had problems with the brakes like this on my truck? I think I will just take it in and have it looked at.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just replaced rear pads on 08. Had a real hard time getting the new ceramic
pads on. Is there a trick yo doing this? I used a wire brush to clean the metal glides the pads sit in, but it was pure hell to get them in. I had to use force and suspect something is not right as I have a metal to metal sound on rear right when stopping. Guess my question is, is there a certain way to remount the new pads on the thin metal slides? The lower pad has a spring type clip that would not fit back on. Help!!!

I had no problem compressing the caliper. My trouble started with trying to get the new pads remounted against the rotor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts