Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 13 FJ into the dealer for an oil change and they noted the battery (original factory) is tired out. They quoted me $167 for a Toyota factory replacement which I declined until I did some research with you fine folks. If I recall a thread in the past, I thought someone remarked the Toy batteries are fairly decent, but at the $167 price point, are there better options? I'd prefer something that fits easily, doesn't require modifications, and can handle some cold temps in the Midwest winters.

Also, please note any special considerations when installing one of these for a noob with limited knowledge!

Much appreciated in advance!

14SB

·
Registered
264 Posts
For me, for start engine battery like any stock battery.

Panasonic is the best. and it’s same our Fj cruiser oem battery.

I always got it from a a Panasonic dealers. not expensive at all. about $100

·
Premium Member
12,179 Posts
Buy it from Costco. The warranty is fantastic.

It will he the last battery you buy.

Get a battery blanket......your battery will thank you.

·
Registered
51 Posts
XS Power AGM's are awesome. TINY things, but they punch WAY above their weightclass. I had an XS Power "925" in a 2-ton street car that ran mid-10's in the quarter mile, and I drove cross country (Hot Rod Power Tour). That battery was only 26 pounds, and rated at 525CCA - but it spun the motor over better than conventional 1,000CCA batteries. I often ran it down LOW (electric water pump and fan) more times than I can count, but it still lasted for about 6 years.

Summit & Jegs carry them, and most better stereo shops carry them as well.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey fellas - thank you for the info!

Weird how opinions about car batteries are so varied. In reading some other threads it seems like Optima batteries were once the battery to own, albeit you would pay extra for it, but now others suggest they have QC issues so they no longer justify the extra $$$.

I think I'm going to explore mikey's suggestion and check out Costco. I was checking on-line and I believe an Interstate battery with comparable attributes to the factory original was only around $80. Plus I get a couple percent back by using my Costco Visa card. Costco will likely be tough to beat for a quality battery and the lowest price.

I do appreciate everyone who provided their opinions!

Regards,
14SB

·
Registered
903 Posts
Are you really going to save at Costco? You know your gonna want the 55 gallon drum of pretzels once you get in there. :rofl::rofl::rofl:
My wife has forbid me from entering Costco. :grin

·
Premium Member
1,945 Posts
"Weird how opinions about car batteries are so varied" - its kind of like tires, because it all depends on what you are looking for out of them.

For a standard, flooded, lead/acid battery, Panasonic makes the very best in the world (the Toyota factory Panasonics typically last 5~7 years, compared with run of the mill ones which may only last 3, 4 or 5 years, from budget manufacturers, like those sold at big box stores).

If you care about rust (every car I've ever treasured rusted out all around the battery tray, due to the venting of the sulfuric acid vapor during normal use), then buy an AGM battery. Not only will an AGM not vent, it will also (if cared for) last 5~7 years.
If Odyssey AGM have quality issues (I hope not, I just bought one 3 years ago and hope to get the usual 5~7 years out of it), then Optima is another option for AGM. Or vice versa.

By the way, any vehicle which is driven infrequently should be kept on a battery tender of some sort (easy to wire in so there's a simple plug at the front grille), because nothing kills a healthy battery faster than trying to crank a starter with it when only partially charged. Modern cars have "dark current" systems which can drain a battery down to zero in a couple of weeks, and it only takes a partial discharge to start putting serious, life shortening strain on it. BTDT.

Norm

·
Registered
51 Posts
Norm, Optima (unless they have something new) are gel batteries, not AGM. I know Autozone sells batteries they claim are AGM, but they do not appear to perform ANYWHERE near what the XS Power and Braille (and Odyssey) AGM perform.

As you said, the quality AGMs are sealed, can even be installed upside-down, and don't leak. I had an XS Power AGM in the car I mentioned earlier for 8 years - never even a trace of corrosion on the terminals.

·
Premium Member
1,996 Posts
I am trying this Battery . I wanted a odyssey but did not want to wait . 930 cca duel purpose / deep cycle . Certainly not a inexpensive battery but hopefully it holds up . And it’s Made in the USA.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Norm, Optima (unless they have something new) are gel batteries, not AGM. I know Autozone sells batteries they claim are AGM, but they do not appear to perform ANYWHERE near what the XS Power and Braille (and Odyssey) AGM perform.
Optima are AGM but the glass mats are spiral wound instead stacked like most other AGM.

Looking into a Optima Yellow Top. Seems the best route for me. 43lbs. 750 CCA. 55aH reserve capacity. 3 year warranty. Price point is lower $200

Model: D34
Weight: 42.9 lb
C20 Capacity: 55 Ah
Post Type: SAE Post
CCA: 750 Amp
Width: 6.88 in
Length: 10.06 in
Height: 7.88 in

It seems like the trade off is more weight for a little more power. Any other recommendations out there?

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,102 Posts
"Weird how opinions about car batteries are so varied" - its kind of like tires, because it all depends on what you are looking for out of them.

For a standard, flooded, lead/acid battery, Panasonic makes the very best in the world (the Toyota factory Panasonics typically last 5~7 years, compared with run of the mill ones which may only last 3, 4 or 5 years, from budget manufacturers, like those sold at big box stores).

If you care about rust (every car I've ever treasured rusted out all around the battery tray, due to the venting of the sulfuric acid vapor during normal use), then buy an AGM battery. Not only will an AGM not vent, it will also (if cared for) last 5~7 years.
If Odyssey AGM have quality issues (I hope not, I just bought one 3 years ago and hope to get the usual 5~7 years out of it), then Optima is another option for AGM. Or vice versa.

By the way, any vehicle which is driven infrequently should be kept on a battery tender of some sort (easy to wire in so there's a simple plug at the front grille), because nothing kills a healthy battery faster than trying to crank a starter with it when only partially charged. Modern cars have "dark current" systems which can drain a battery down to zero in a couple of weeks, and it only takes a partial discharge to start putting serious, life shortening strain on it. BTDT.

Norm
I’m on my third Odyssey Extreme Grp34 bat, 2 replacements in 2 years....:crying Don’t know if it’s the extreme temps they have to deal with between wheeling Moab in the summer and just surviving frigid Vermont high elevation winter weather, but believe me I take good care of them - heated blanket and trickle charger through the winter, cooling blanket and hood vents open in summer. I do have a parasitic drain somewhere among all my aux items which may be the real culprit, but still I have to wonder if what you suggested could be true, that QC for Odyssey may be failing. Wouldn’t mind a lighter weight bat, as lifting that 50lb brick up n out is at the far end of my strength spectrum - I do it but wow it hurts. Also @JamesPoop I have an Optima yellow top in my WRX which has been fine without any comfort blankies, just occasional top up charge...and no aux items hooked to it.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
that QC for Odyssey may be failing.
Same has been said of Optima but honestly just think it's the increase of people using them and not necessarily in the correct manner, ie. Additional electronics taxing the system or a severely discharged battery. :shrug: I remember Autozone and the chain stores would sell their AGM batteries that were sitting on the shelf too long without checking or charging them since the shelf life is a factor too.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
And it’s Made in the USA.
Specs look good. 5 year warranty is worth it. For anyone interested, batteriesplus.com has it for 20% off right now using discount code "CDP13175"

Item Number: SLI27FAGMDP
Brand: X2Power
Voltage: 12
Format: BCI Group 27F
Lead Acid Type: Deep Cycle, Dual Purpose (Starting/Cycling), Starting
Cold Cranking Amps: 930
Battery Type: Ultimate
Chemistry: Lead Acid
Color: Blue Top
Lead Acid Design: AGM
Made in the USA: True
Product Category: Auto/Light Truck
Product Sub Category: Starting Lighting And Ignition
Terminal Type: SAE, Automotive Post
Warranty: 60 Month Free Replacement
Weight: 66.95 lbs
Length: 12.46 in
Width: 6.77 in
Height: 8.75 in

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,102 Posts
Specs look good. 5 year warranty is worth it. For anyone interested, batteriesplus.com has it for 20% off right now using discount code "CDP13175"

Item Number: SLI27FAGMDP
Brand: X2Power
Voltage: 12
Format: BCI Group 27F
Lead Acid Type: Deep Cycle, Dual Purpose (Starting/Cycling), Starting
Cold Cranking Amps: 930
Battery Type: Ultimate
Chemistry: Lead Acid
Color: Blue Top
Lead Acid Design: AGM
Made in the USA: True
Product Category: Auto/Light Truck
Product Sub Category: Starting Lighting And Ignition
Terminal Type: SAE, Automotive Post
Warranty: 60 Month Free Replacement
Weight: 66.95 lbs
Length: 12.46 in
Width: 6.77 in
Height: 8.75 in
I will never buy a battery online again, unless they offer free return shipping of dead batteries, or there’s a nearby storefront that will honor the warranty. I’ve spent $50 each on three warranty returns to get my free replacement Odyssey. That has more than killed the savings of buying it online :flame: This might be a great battery and last more than 5 years, but might not....just saying. After my warranty is done I will use a national chain like Auto Zone, O’Reillys, Napa, etc and if they have the X2 I’ll grab it.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
I’ve spent $50 each on three warranty returns to get my free replacement Odyssey. That has more than killed the savings of buying it online :flame:
Good advice @debFJVT! Thanks for sharing your experience. Even if it was good deal at first and they offered to pay shipping, I'm not sure I could allow downtime like that. Having a warranty but no way to access it other than shipping would have me worried. I was looking for deals online but in the end, I think that's most important: ease of access. Buy it from their network of dealers or a chain store so they can deal with shipping it.

Speaking of batteries had me worried since I was seeing some hesitation in cold starts . I just ordered this from Advance Auto Parts AKA Car Quest. 25% off and free shipping using "CTP3BX" or entering your email on their list. And I don't have to worry about shipping!

Optima yellow d34/78 dual terminals, etc etc

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm a Costco junkie but last two times I needed a battery they were not ones that they kept in stock. FJ and my wife's Audi. Couldn't wait for it to get shipped in so I went elsewhere. I ended up with Advance Auto parts AGM. So far so good.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts