Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
I’m on my third Odyssey Extreme Grp34 bat, 2 replacements in 2 years....... I do have a parasitic drain somewhere among all my aux items which may be the real culprit, ...
I have an Odyssey 31M-PC2150 and I also have a parasitic drain (discovered WAY too late) that runs ~17% of the total capacity down overnight. Still hunting it down. My first Odyssey started leaking (yes leaking. Yes they aren't supposed to be able to do that. The Odyssey rep was... intrigued?) after "Moab Before the Summit" 2018 after just over a year installed. I did not have to pay any shipping for my warrantied replacement, nor did I have to send the leaking one back. I've kept it in my garage on a battery tender and it hasn't leaked any worse...

I have an Optima red-top in my other car. No complaints about it yet but it's also only around a year old. Same-ish age as the Odyssey, so we'll see which one dies first! Down in the Texas heat, I've found that regular lead-acid batteries rarely last even 3 years if parked outside.

I'd tentatively suggest that whatever battery you end up getting, if you're going to 4-wheel and rough it up, spring for the longest warranty you can. At least down in Texas, I've only had 1 battery outlive its warranty.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,422 Posts
Good advice @debFJVT! Thanks for sharing your experience. Even if it was good deal at first and they offered to pay shipping, I'm not sure I could allow downtime like that. Having a warranty but no way to access it other than shipping would have me worried. I was looking for deals online but in the end, I think that's most important: ease of access. Buy it from their network of dealers or a chain store so they can deal with shipping it.

Speaking of batteries had me worried since I was seeing some hesitation in cold starts . I just ordered this from Advance Auto Parts AKA Car Quest. 25% off and free shipping using "CTP3BX" or entering your email on their list. And I don't have to worry about shipping!

Optima yellow d34/78 dual terminals, etc etc
FYI there’s no downtime as I pay for the new bat which gets refunded once they receive and test the failed bat. But you get the essential part of my complaint, ease of access. Live n learn :wink I hope the Optima works out for you - please let me know!

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,422 Posts
@101Firedog You’re fortunate to have found a more cooperative company...I’ve been extremely frustrated by this! And unhappy with the short lifespan of AGMs. Not sure if it’s anything to do with AGM actually, and what we do to them certainly plays a part. I’ll be much more diligent with keeping the CTEK trickle charger on this new one. Thanks for the advice on getting the longest possible warranty.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I’m on my third Odyssey Extreme Grp34 bat, 2 replacements in 2 years....:crying Don’t know if it’s the extreme temps they have to deal with between wheeling Moab in the summer and just surviving frigid Vermont high elevation winter weather, but believe me I take good care of them - heated blanket and trickle charger through the winter, cooling blanket and hood vents open in summer. I do have a parasitic drain somewhere among all my aux items which may be the real culprit, but still I have to wonder if what you suggested could be true, that QC for Odyssey may be failing. Wouldn’t mind a lighter weight bat, as lifting that 50lb brick up n out is at the far end of my strength spectrum - I do it but wow it hurts. Also @JamesPoop I have an Optima yellow top in my WRX which has been fine without any comfort blankies, just occasional top up charge...and no aux items hooked to it.
I ran Odyssey batteries in my drag car for 15 years with success. Over the last couple years they have let me down. Don't even get me started with Optima junk. I now run the Duralast AGM in my '13 FJ, '78 Hilux and '87 4Runner. They have been great and I abuse them. The hilux sits for months at a time and fires right up.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,422 Posts
I ran Odyssey batteries in my drag car for 15 years with success. Over the last couple years they have let me down. Don't even get me started with Optima junk. I now run the Duralast AGM in my '13 FJ, '78 Hilux and '87 4Runner. They have been great and I abuse them. The hilux sits for months at a time and fires right up.
Now THAT is really interesting....thanks for the info, and if Duralast AGM really do last that’s a win because they’re so readily available. Please do post up on any issues you do/do not encounter with the AutoZone special!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Keep in mind if you go with an AGM you will need to add a diode at the fuse to give you an extra little boost from your alternator. I think you need an extra .5 volts for AGM batteries.

I got one on eBay for around $20. You pull your fuse, plug it in to the holder with diode, and put the whole assembly back in the fuse slot. It is the Alt-S fuse.

Here it is: https://www.ebay.com/itm/163382289063?ul_noapp=true

I have an Optima yellow top and just bought a second for dual battery, though I haven't installed it yet.

So far so good on my end!

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,422 Posts
Keep in mind if you go with an AGM you will need to add a diode at the fuse to give you an extra little boost from your alternator. I think you need an extra .5 volts for AGM batteries.

I got one on eBay for around $20. You pull your fuse, plug it in to the holder with diode, and put the whole assembly back in the fuse slot. It is the Alt-S fuse.

Here it is: https://www.ebay.com/itm/163382289063?ul_noapp=true

I have an Optima yellow top and just bought a second for dual battery, though I haven't installed it yet.

So far so good on my end!
Yup got the alt boost fuse on both my vehicles, for the entire time I’ve had AGMs in there. For those who don’t have it, please do! Thanks for posting the link :smile GL with Yellow Top...saying that for my sake as well :rofl:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yup got the alt boost fuse on both my vehicles, for the entire time I’ve had AGMs in there. For those who don’t have it, please do! Thanks for posting the link :smile GL with Yellow Top...saying that for my sake as well :rofl:

I figured that, deb! :wink That tip was mostly for the OP, or others reading this thread considering AGM for the first time.

·
Registered
361 Posts
@JamesPoop , If that picture is a representation of the actual battery you ordered you will need to replace or modify your battery cable clamps. I had to order the reverse post yellow top to ensure the positive terminal was on the correct side. Just food for thought.:wink

Reactions: jamesepoop

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi!
Bought my 2007 FJ new in April 2006 and so far, the original Panasonic Battery is still performing like new. That's close to 13 years of use. I live below the Arctic circle and my FJ sits outside year round in -40 to +70 temps. No battery blanket, no battery heater; just a naked battery under the hood.

I would like to go with another Panasonic Battery when this one fails, but the Alaska Toyota dealers all claim that that Toyota will not ship Panasonic batteries to the USA, and the only replacement battery they offer their customers is a Toyota branded battery rebuilt by Interstate, that costs $130 over the counter. It does have an 84 month replacement warranty; the first 24 is at no cost and the rest of the warranty is prorated. They claim that most of these Interstate batteries have outlived their 84 month warranty.

I would still like to get a new Panasonic.

Have any of you folks been able to get a new Panasonic Battery for your FJ from your Toyota dealer or anywhere else?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,571 Posts
billq,
since the OEM battery is great, and since Toyota won't import it except when it is installed in a car, probably the only option to get another one would be to buy one from a salvage yard, from a later model Tacoma

The shock from the impact might have affected it, but that might be the only way to get one.

N

·
Registered
5 Posts
billq, since the OEM battery is great, and since Toyota won't import it except when it is installed in a car, probably the only option to get another one would be to buy one from a salvage yard, from a later model Tacoma. The shock from the impact might have affected it, but that might be the only way to get one. N
Hi Norm,
Thank you; that's a great suggestion and one I hadn't considered. I will check around and see what I can find, and also learn how to check the condition of a lead acid battery.

Bill

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,422 Posts
Hi!
Bought my 2007 FJ new in April 2006 and so far, the original Panasonic Battery is still performing like new. That's close to 13 years of use. I live below the Arctic circle and my FJ sits outside year round in -40 to +70 temps. No battery blanket, no battery heater; just a naked battery under the hood.

I would like to go with another Panasonic Battery when this one fails, but the Alaska Toyota dealers all claim that that Toyota will not ship Panasonic batteries to the USA, and the only replacement battery they offer their customers is a Toyota branded battery rebuilt by Interstate, that costs $130 over the counter. It does have an 84 month replacement warranty; the first 24 is at no cost and the rest of the warranty is prorated. They claim that most of these Interstate batteries have outlived their 84 month warranty.

I would still like to get a new Panasonic.

Have any of you folks been able to get a new Panasonic Battery for your FJ from your Toyota dealer or anywhere else?
Thanks.
You’re lucky to have that most prized Original Panasonic...many here have wished they could get another but I’ve not heard of anyone finding one new. Others will chime in...maybe you can find one at salvage? Wow what a testimony to the integrity of that OE Panasonic! :rocker:

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
@JamesPoop , If that picture is a representation of the actual battery you ordered you will need to replace or modify your battery cable clamps. I had to order the reverse post yellow top to ensure the positive terminal was on the correct side. Just food for thought.:wink
Thanks for ther heads up. It looked like ther correct orientation in ther pics but I guess I didn't stare that long. Could I ask, did you have to call the company to order the reverse terminal? Or did you go with their other fitments like the 35 or 27F? I was hoping to shed a few more lbs but the 27F specs are close too. 10 lbs for 100 cca/11ah more.

Never mind, I ended up looking up BCI group size and saw the difference in terminal orientation too. "R" or "F" designations have reversed terminals. I ended up ordering an Autocraft Platinum 24F similar to the Duralast Platinum that @smracing mentioned. (same casing/ similar specs but diff label). The specs are close to what I was looking for anyway. Should have just went with the website's part recommendation in the first place lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You’re lucky to have that most prized Original Panasonic...many here have wished they could get another but I’ve not heard of anyone finding one new. Others will chime in...maybe you can find one at salvage? Wow what a testimony to the integrity of that OE Panasonic! :rocker:

Hi Rocker,

I hear you and agree. I too, would very much like to replace my Panasonic battery with another Panasonic Battery. Have to wonder what Toyota and especially Panasonic, are thinking when Panasonic refuses to sell batteries to the world's largest market. Maybe there's a legal issue or something.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,422 Posts
Hi Rocker,

I hear you and agree. I too, would very much like to replace my Panasonic battery with another Panasonic Battery. Have to wonder what Toyota and especially Panasonic, are thinking when Panasonic refuses to sell batteries to the world's largest market. Maybe there's a legal issue or something.
Maybe because it would DESTROY all the other battery companies :rofl:

·
Registered
262 Posts
I too am on a search for an original OEM panasonic, FJ arrives April 06, 252,000 miles and the battery most likely would have still been fine if I didn't let the car sit for a few months while I was away and a polar vortex settled into the area. I did see someone with a cardboard box with Panasonic on the side and they were pulling a battery out of it, the trouble is that I've read through so many forums tonight that I can't recall where I saw it, if anyone else has seen this image, please let me know so I can see if I can track down this option, thanks, JFF

·
Registered
247 Posts
Specs look good. 5 year warranty is worth it. For anyone interested, batteriesplus.com has it for 20% off right now using discount code "CDP13175"

Item Number: SLI27FAGMDP
Brand: X2Power
Voltage: 12
Format: BCI Group 27F
Lead Acid Type: Deep Cycle, Dual Purpose (Starting/Cycling), Starting
Cold Cranking Amps: 930
Battery Type: Ultimate
Chemistry: Lead Acid
Color: Blue Top
Lead Acid Design: AGM
Made in the USA: True
Product Category: Auto/Light Truck
Product Sub Category: Starting Lighting And Ignition
Terminal Type: SAE, Automotive Post
Warranty: 60 Month Free Replacement
Weight: 66.95 lbs
Length: 12.46 in
Width: 6.77 in
Height: 8.75 in

Looks like this code is good again this month! My stock Panasonic is 6 years old, so I'm wondering if I should maybe replace it now that I've added the winch. Trying to decide between the 24F and the 27F. I run extra lights and the winch, no fridge or anything. 24F would fit like the stock battery and has 840 CCA. Intrigued by the extra boost of the 27F though, if it will fit in the tray.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts