1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
671 Posts
Check with a local O'Riley's Autoparts also. I went by and got a quote that was less than that for a new complete CV. I think it was 75.00 to 85.00 for a new part without a core. You'd still have to by the seals and they run about $12.00 to $18.00.

·
Premium Member
9,334 Posts
Obviously I have access to OEM, but agree that they are a little pricey. I carry a rebuilt that I picked up from NAPA for around $70.

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I would avoid aftermarket. Unless you're very good and get the work done quickly, it's not worth the savings. Aftermarket ones fail more and sometimes unexpectedly. If you want one to get you home, that's fine, but if you don't like redoing work you should just go OEM.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It would be for getting me off the trail and home. What part of the CV fails due to it being after market? Are they just built as strong?

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
I've heard a lot of people complaining about the aftermarket ones. They fail at the joint. I don't know, I'm not the type that would like to do the same work twice. Remember, you'll have to drain the diff again too.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I carry a A1Cardone spare, think it was $68 bucks with tax... It looks exactly like the OEM one that was replaced under warranty... weaker you say? maybe but it will get you off the trail, if you carry the right tools... and just as a tip, you dont have to drain the diff if you lift the broke side up high enough all the gear lube runs to the other side... The cage in the outboard joint is what usualy breaks. Now If you have an auto trans, or a front locker in a manual, you can remove the out board cv joint and axle and leave the in board "cup" stuck in the diff if you don't have a spare. the inboard joint just slips together, the boot is the only thing that keeps it from falling appart when its out of the truck..

it's not that bad a job, i can do it on the trail in about 45 min. hardest part is getting the old one to pop out of the diff, or if its stuck in the wheel hub...

scotty

·
Premium Member
18,479 Posts
Scotty, that's some mad skills there. 45 min! :cheers:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks alot for all the great advise, im trying to prepare the best I can for worst case senerios on the trail. Im looking into replacement tie rods, what are the exact parts i need should that component fail? Thanks again for all your help! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
9,009 Posts
I carry a A1Cardone spare, think it was $68 bucks with tax... It looks exactly like the OEM one that was replaced under warranty... weaker you say? maybe but it will get you off the trail, if you carry the right tools... and just as a tip, you dont have to drain the diff if you lift the broke side up high enough all the gear lube runs to the other side... The cage in the outboard joint is what usualy breaks. Now If you have an auto trans, or a front locker in a manual, you can remove the out board cv joint and axle and leave the in board "cup" stuck in the diff if you don't have a spare. the inboard joint just slips together, the boot is the only thing that keeps it from falling appart when its out of the truck..

it's not that bad a job, i can do it on the trail in about 45 min. hardest part is getting the old one to pop out of the diff, or if its stuck in the wheel hub...

scotty
For popping the axle out of the dif...
Make yourself a cable noose and use a 2 pound dead blow on one end in an eyelet and noose the other end around the inner axle housing,(where the inner seal is) and the axle pops right out
The cable noose needs to be about 30 inches, I think . It just needs to be long enough to be able to use it like a slide hammer outside the fenderwell. I I keep it in my trial tool bag. It takes up no room and saves a bunch of B.S under the truck, in the dirt.
I made one and popped axles out in seconds
It may take a minute or two, off your 45 minute time. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
671 Posts
For popping the axle out of the dif...
Make yourself a cable noose and use a 2 pound dead blow on one end in an eyelet and noose the other end around the inner axle housing,(where the inner seal is) and the axle pops right out
The cable noose needs to be about 30 inches, I think . It just needs to be long enough to be able to use it like a slide hammer outside the fenderwell. I I keep it in my trial tool bag. It takes up no room and saves a bunch of B.S under the truck, in the dirt.
I made one and popped axles out in seconds
It may take a minute or two, off your 45 minute time. :bigthumb:
Do you happen to have a picture of this set-up?

·
Registered
671 Posts
Kinda hard to see, but you can see the general principle. under ten bucks from home depot

Thanks. I 've got some stuff around the house I'll add to my toolbox. Like the ingenuity.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts