Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a couple of other posts about the modification of the original headlights to house projector style beams, but I would like to know if anyone has mounted 7" delta lead crystal headlights into the factory mounts, or if they know this is not possible. I used these on my old jeep and loved the light out of them with xenon bulbs with no projector and very little spill light. I would love to use these again, but I can't find anything on anyone using these on an FJ.

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
I know there are a couple of other posts about the modification of the original headlights to house projector style beams, but I would like to know if anyone has mounted 7" delta lead crystal headlights into the factory mounts, or if they know this is not possible. I used these on my old jeep and loved the light out of them with xenon bulbs with no projector and very little spill light. I would love to use these again, but I can't find anything on anyone using these on an FJ.
While it might be possible with a lot of modification, it's not likely to work well. The projector inserts are designed to be installed inside the FJ's lens assembly. But 7" round lights have no support frame, and without a mounting cup you're not likely to get them aimed very accurately. The FJ uses a molded, free-form reflector / lens combo with integrated mounting structure for it's headlights. I've tried virtually every light out there, and I'd wager the FJ's headlight lens will put out more light and a better pattern than the Delta 7" round replacement headlights, even if could make them fit. So, I'd suggest focusing (pun intended) on a better bulb rather than replacing the housing...:rocker:

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok... So I am reviving a REALLY old thread of mine to update it a bit. I always liked the pattern and clarity of the Delta Euro lights I had with my old (um sorry guys....) Jeep. My original desire was to replace the stock FJ lights with these, but I was discouraged from doing it since it had never been done, and because of course, everything Toyota makes is perfect. Hogwash! I settled for putting an HID conversion bulb into my stock housings and got a ton of light, but sacrificed longevity since the HID bleaches the cheap plastic innards of the FJ's housing and turns the silver reflectors white and cloudy resulting in an absolutely worthless set-up in little less then 2 years.

This brings me back to here. I got fed up with settling, and did not want to settle again or go through the issues of placing some HID projector kit into the housing that may, or may not hold up when it is subjected to the abuse of going off-road on a regular basis.

I purchased the Delta Euro lights in the 7" round set-up and set about deconstructing the stock housings to see if I could make it work. Where I sit now is I need to make a simple ring to mount the lights to that will mount to the stock light bucket from Toyota. I need to find a custom metal fab shop in Dallas that can help me with this as it is a bit past my basic abilities.

Anyone have the name of a good fab shop in Dallas? The project is literally 2 rings and 6 bolts away from becoming a reality, and will be WELL worth it. I took both lights and set them up on my truck on a side-by-side comparison, and the Delta's give a much more controlled pattern with better low-ground spread for low-beam usage, and a MUCH longer throw for the high-beams with a much better clarity and no chance for fading or fogging since they are glass and chromed metal instead of plastic.

Any help you guys can give me would be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How about going Ol' Skool and using some headlight bucket parts off an older vehicle? Scroll down this page a bit and you'll see what I mean....

Specter Off-Road Land Cruiser Parts - Page 112 Land Cruiser Body Parts
Wow. This is why i love this forum. Great idea, however,what i need is even simpler than that. I literally need just a flat 8" ring 1" wide made out of 1/4" aluminum or 10ga steel.

The buckets on the '40 look like they might hold every thing, however, it dosnt solve the problm of mounting to the stock fj housings.

I can hack out some rings with my grinder and dremel, but keeping them round and clean looking is tough with basic tools.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
381 Posts
Does it need to be metal? Can it be polymer? If so you could make it out of kingboard or acrylic. All you need is a drill press and a circle cutter. You could probably purchase both for less than it would cost for the fab shop to it

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I haven't worked with either of those materials. How rigid and shock resistant are they? I only ask because the delta lights are a bit heavier then the stock ones, and I would hate for them to crack or break under stress from a big bump.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, the project has been sitting for a few days now due to a heavy work load this week, but here are a couple pictures of the idea/progress. I am going to try to make the rings out of acrylic cutting-board material. It seems to be fairly heat resistant, rigid, and it is a heck of a lot easier to cut and shape then steel or aluminum.

Basic light dissasembled. You can see I tried to mount the new light inside the old bucket, but that failed due to the plastic being too britle.

The housing with no bucket installed.

the main components all together. (ring is a paper mock up)

Back of the delta light. It has 4 mounting tabs built in, but not eavenly spaced around the light.

Ring in the Housing.... Going to be tight, but that is ok... the tabs on the lights are 1/8" too far out, so I will have to drill my mounting holes slightly inside and "Pull" the tabs in-line.

basic idea of how it will look mounted and finished.

:devil:

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does it need to be metal? Can it be polymer? If so you could make it out of kingboard or acrylic. All you need is a drill press and a circle cutter. You could probably purchase both for less than it would cost for the fab shop to it
Great idea by the way... I am attempting the first ring with 1/2" cutting-board material to see if it will be strong/rigid enough after I cut the rings out of it. Thanks again....

·
Registered
825 Posts
Sorry if I'm not getting something right, but wouldn't it be easier to retrofit a hid projector?

Sent from my iPhone

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry if I'm not getting something right, but wouldn't it be easier to retrofit a hid projector?

Sent from my iPhone
Easier? Yes. Better? No. The retro projectors mount into the existing reflector bucket, and add a ton of stress to a part that is made of an extreemely britle materal and held into the housings with VERY weak plastic clips. All that weight will eventually break down the components and cause a misalignment, or worse, a complete failure.

The project I am working on works to overcome the limitations of the original design, and adds the ability to to run any lights you want with outstanding clarity and quality of light.

I'm not bashing the inserts, I have just had bad luck with them, and after looking at the actual material, doubt their longevity in this application.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I haven't worked with either of those materials. How rigid and shock resistant are they? I only ask because the delta lights are a bit heavier then the stock ones, and I would hate for them to crack or break under stress from a big bump.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Both are very shock resistant. The king board aka starboard I'd readily available at west marine. I think this would be your best option as it can be purchased in black. I use it all the time.

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Both are very shock resistant. The king board aka starboard I'd readily available at west marine. I think this would be your best option as it can be purchased in black. I use it all the time.
Thank you again... I have never used this stuff, and the StarBoard is great -A little spendy, but great.

I have the first ring cut (Dang is it nice to be able to use a jigsaw and files rather then a sawzall, grinder, and hacksaw). It fits perfectly! I have started a few other tasks with it and will be posting as I go.

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, the project has been sitting for a few days now due to a heavy work load this week, but here are a couple pictures of the idea/progress. I am going to try to make the rings out of acrylic cutting-board material. It seems to be fairly heat resistant, rigid, and it is a heck of a lot easier to cut and shape then steel or aluminum.

Basic light dissasembled. You can see I tried to mount the new light inside the old bucket, but that failed due to the plastic being too britle.

The housing with no bucket installed.

the main components all together. (ring is a paper mock up)

Back of the delta light. It has 4 mounting tabs built in, but not eavenly spaced around the light.

Ring in the Housing.... Going to be tight, but that is ok... the tabs on the lights are 1/8" too far out, so I will have to drill my mounting holes slightly inside and "Pull" the tabs in-line.

basic idea of how it will look mounted and finished.

UPDATE!!

Got the Starboard that was reccommended. Got it in the 1/2" Black, and LOVE it. This is the perfect material for this build.

Here is the updates....

Cut the rings - ended up being 7 3/4 in Diamiter, and they're about 1 1/4" wide, but I did have to bevel them a bit to get them to sit right in the bucket at full tention for the adjustment screws.

I have drilled all of the holes to match the brackets on the lights,

and have matched up the adjuster screws and drilled their holes as well. This was actually my first big problem today since I realized the stock bolts(cheap plastic) were designed to move slightly to account for the different angles that might be encountered. The other BIG problem was that the adjuster screws are not a standard size screw and have different thread pitches as they transfer from the tapered tips to the long bolt for adjustment.

For the screws, I decided to re-thred them in a standard 10-32 and used my tap&die kit. The result is a standard thread the full length of the screw, and a slightly reduced diamiter.

For the bolts, I decided to go "IKEA" on this one and slot the ring in the area I need the adjustment screws and insert bolts into the slots - thereby creating a way for them to have a little adjustment.

I also thought the bolts might eventually start to slip as they do not have much of a sidewall, and I was doing the slots by hand, so there IS going to be extra play/slop in these cuts. I took a piece of styrophome from some packing material from some other lights, and created 4 rectangular "Pools" the same depth and width as my 10-32 blots, but a bit longer on each side. I then set about mixing up some 5-minute epoxy and have filled the centers of the bolts with wax and placed them in the molds to be apoxied.

More to come in a little while - waiting on Epoxy to dry.

·
Registered
961 Posts
looks like you're using UHMW? that is a thermal plastic it will be deformable at 275 F (oven or propane torch), but is very workable with sharp wood working tools, it routes very nicely with a sharp bit. sanding it is another thing altogether.
Good Luck.. Looks like a fun project.

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm using Starboard....so basically yes. Much easier then metal overall, but has its own quirks. Heat is not as big of a factor on this since the rings are not in direct contact with the lights. And it is slow going. I got close, but didn't care for how little adjustment i was going to have. So the first gen rings u see in my post have been scrapped and started from scratch.

·
Registered
328 Posts
hmmm all this work just for some light on the trails? I have switched out my stock headlight bulbs with Sylvania Silverstar ZXE Xenon bulbs. What a difference! My wife also has an 07' FJ Cruiser like mine so we parked them next to eachother to see the difference of our headlights. I would say mine are atleast 3 times brighter. I purchased the new bulbs at a local shop for 60 bucks which is cheaper than the KC 7" headlight set I am planning on using for my 79' FJ40 to switch them from the sealed lights.

Has anyone added windshield mounted lights on their FJC? I have KC mounts and Black Magic lights but not sure if I want to drill holes in the windshield upright until I know someone else has already done it without major problems. I am only thinking of doing this for 2 real reasons....1. long range light 2. add the look of being a police vehicle along with my Transformer Barricade decals.

P.S. be sure you get the local law enforcement office and highway patrols okay IN WRITING before installing any decals to your vehicle that may look like you are trying to "impersonate an officer" :thinkerg:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts