Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
hmmm all this work just for some light on the trails? I have switched out my stock headlight bulbs with Sylvania Silverstar ZXE Xenon bulbs. What a difference! My wife also has an 07' FJ Cruiser like mine so we parked them next to eachother to see the difference of our headlights. I would say mine are atleast 3 times brighter. I purchased the new bulbs at a local shop for 60 bucks which is cheaper than the KC 7" headlight set I am planning on using for my 79' FJ40 to switch them from the sealed lights.

Again Easier is not what I was looking for. This project is a PITA so far, but the result hopefully will be a better housing then is currently available.

This will do 3 things. For those that want to run stock lights, it will give them a better quality pattern and more light than from the stock "Buckets". For those that want to run H4 upgrade lights like your self (I used to special order 85/100 or 100/120 off-road bulbs in my jeeps), you can and get even better results from those changes. And finally for those that want to run an HID insert bulb (me these days - sick how much light comes out), this will give them the ability to run those without the issues we all have with bleaching of the reflectors and poorly focused beams that just piss everyone else off.

For those that still want the inserts, I say go for it, but I can't see them lasting for a long time based on the quality of the material I saw in the stock buckets that they depend on to hold them in alignment.

Has anyone added windshield mounted lights on their FJC? I have KC mounts and Black Magic lights but not sure if I want to drill holes in the windshield upright until I know someone else has already done it without major problems. I am only thinking of doing this for 2 real reasons....1. long range light 2. add the look of being a police vehicle along with my Transformer Barricade decals.

P.S. be sure you get the local law enforcement office and highway patrols okay IN WRITING before installing any decals to your vehicle that may look like you are trying to "impersonate an officer" :thinkerg:
As far as your other question, there are a couple of posts about adding police lights and such, and a great idea one had for making the mounting plate on the small panel below the 'A' pillar. As far as that goes, I think I have that covered. I have LED light bars pointing in every direction, and am about to even put in the rock lights so I can see a little better on the close-encounters stuff at night.

I do have to say from previous experience though, the roof mounted systems give by-far the best light angles and definition for night-time off-roading. And if placed right (a bit behind the roof line to keep light from flooding the hood and blinding you - Demellos roof light bar is and EXCELENT example of how to build this right), you can see the contours of every obstacle with great detail and clarity. The pillar lights tend to be better for long-range focused light beams. If they are not focused, they always seem to reflect off the hood and body, and cause all kinds of nuisance with the eyes at night.

Just my .02, but like I said, this isn't about cheaper, or easier. It is about being able to use a tool I know works better, and have it last a LONG time.

·
Registered
381 Posts
hmmm all this work just for some light on the trails? I have switched out my stock headlight bulbs with Sylvania Silverstar ZXE Xenon bulbs. What a difference! My wife also has an 07' FJ Cruiser like mine so we parked them next to eachother to see the difference of our headlights. I would say mine are atleast 3 times brighter. I purchased the new bulbs at a local shop for 60 bucks which is cheaper than the KC 7" headlight set I am planning on using for my 79' FJ40 to switch them from the sealed lights.
I think it's great that the OP is doing all this work. I've been contemplating doing this myself. I also like the potential cosmetic improvements.

Glad to see the starboard worked out for you. If you want to get those rings cut more uniform, next time, let me know and I'll cut some and ship them to you. I have the proper tools to make them real clean.:cheers:

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I think it's great that the OP is doing all this work. I've been contemplating doing this myself. I also like the potential cosmetic improvements.

Glad to see the starboard worked out for you. If you want to get those rings cut more uniform, next time, let me know and I'll cut some and ship them to you. I have the proper tools to make them real clean.:cheers:
Your on! There are a couple of tight spots though that I have had to hand contour that make it a slow process. Spacing is also an issue from the light to the board. I am trying to keep the light as close to the original cover as possible so light is not 'waisted' behing the bezel of the grill - which will happen if they are mounted too far back.

Lots of little issues to work out, then probable one more test to refine it all.:rocker:

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Ok... I started the third generation of this build tonight. I had to scrap the idea of slotting the rings and placing the adjustment nuts inside of them due to the short length of the adjustment bolts. The stock refelctors adjustment legs come down and away from the reflector to get them in line with the housing and bolts.

What I have done is build spacers onto the bottom of the rings and place the sdjustment nut in a channel at the bottom and capped them with a steel plate to hold in the nut. Sounds complicated, but it is actually a bit easier then the original idea and will yield more adjustability and not require me to modify my mounting area as much. I will have pictures this weekend after I finish fabricating a new ball joint for the hard mounted corner and after the month end...

This thing is taking forever, but I keep reminding myself how nice it will be to have my old lights back.

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Ok... couldn't go to bed without doing a final dri-fit... surprisingly, based on the final fitting, I'm almost done. I have to trim the bolts, adjust the depth of the balljoint and epoxy it in (it is currently threaded and would probably never move, but who wants to take chances.

Image uploading. Refresh page to view

These are the spacers I made. I took a Square nut and carved out a channel for it to slide in, then covered it with a plate and screwed it all down. I helps move these adjusters down to a level where they are designed to be.

You can see the little ball joint I ground out... not sure on depth yet... Final depth will depend on final fit in the front of the truck.

I ran out of board, so I'll have to get mor this weekend, but if all goes well, I should have them in and running by Sundeay.:clap:

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
So the whole work thing is really interfearing with my ability to work on this project! J/K in case my boss reads this....

But in all seriousness, I think I am done with the right side headlight! The set up I had it in last night worked perfect, and there were only minor adjustments that needed to be made to get this all working.

I took a couple of quick photos to show how it looks with the lights on, but I still need to replace the plastic lens and complete the final adjustments.

A couple of things to keep in mind - The goal was to mount a better light - by better, I mean more light in a more contrlolled pattern. Just like if you see good HID lights with a good focus and cutoff, they don't seem brighter until you get in their beam pattern, then you see the difference.

The first 2 are shot from a 6 ft hight vantage from both sides of the truck - the delta is on the right.

This next one is of my shadows in the light - keep in mind, the side with the barkest shadow is the weakest light - Also try to ignor the fence in the background as the light is not completely alighned, but close. Also, the "cutoff" on the delta is MUCH more precise and not as much light bleeds out of the intended area.
There is a color difference too, just pay atention to how much fainter the left shadow(right headlight) is to the right.

This one is about 15-20 ft away - in the pattern

There you have it... A lot of work, but it is possible, and appears to give me the result I was looking for. I will post a step-by-step as I tackle the left-side if anyone ever wants to try to tackle this one.
:cheers:

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
My apologies guys, I had my camera all set up and snapping pictures as I went, but as I went to upload the photos onto my computer, i realized I had no data card in it, so there are no new photos. So, that being the case, I have no new photos to share. I do also have to say that I really like the outcome of the project. They look great, and they put a butt load of light out in a VERY controlled manner.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using AutoGuide.com App

21 - 32 of 32 Posts