Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive read through tons of threads about all of the suspension options for the FJ. Long story short, I've been running Icon for the last 2 years and am happy with how it rides. However, both front shocks are leaking, bearings are shot, shafts show pitting, and the noises they now make drives me nuts. Ive only got 8500 miles on them at most as my FJ is not my daily driver, but it does get driven weekly. Ive talked to Icon and they are happy to rebuild them for me at my expense. The guy I talked with was kind of a tool on the phone and I did not get a real good feeling of "customer service". All he wanted to do was sell me on a rebuild or upgrade and not really answer any of my questions about the issues I am having after so few miles. Cool. Customer service goes a long way with me, so after the phone call I decided to be done with Icon in addition to the fact that I've gotten only 8500 miles out of them. So I have made the decision to replace them with something else.

Lots of great options out there, and so far I am kind of leaning towards Fox or Toytec Boss. I have a couple friends with Fox on Jeeps and Tacomas and they nothing but rave about them. My concern is that I would be getting myself into another regular rebuild situation which I don't want to do every 8-10,000 miles. Ive seen mixed reviews on the Boss set up, but I also have not seen them in person or had a chance to really check them out at all. The new OME stuff looks great, but I am not wanting to make that kind of $$ commitment at this time on something that is so new to the market.

80% of my miles are on road these days which I am hoping to up the offroad percentage in the near future. I don't do any fast stuff or sand, mostly out on trails and gravel road type of off road use.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
11,613 Posts
Yes, get your ICON's rebuilt and get them protection.
Coil over covers, surprisingly ICON makes them and I swear by them. When I get to my desk top I'll post up some links and pics so you can see how well they work.

IMO no need buy all new stuff.....that's crazy talk.

·
Premium Member
7,140 Posts
Any of the others you suggested, under the same conditions will likely leak as well. Brand is all about preference. King, Radflo, Icon, Fox are almost identical. I think you need to take a closer look at your driving habit and conditions and choose according to that. I can almost guarantee you 8,500 miles in two years your gonna have problems with these high end coilovers (listed above). These seals don't like to sit static for that long and are prone to leaking when the seals get old. Also most all of the manufacturers I listed above have similar build quality. If you don't want to rebuild them with Icon, I suggest getting them rebuilt with Downsouth motorsports (had a good experience there) or buying from another brand all together. To be honest I don't know if the seals last longer on OME, Toytec. or Bilstein. Also if you do end up going with any 2.5" coilover, I recommend getting the neoprene Icon coilover shock covers. Won't solve the ageing but will help keep them cleaner. On the rear if you see a lot of chipping on the shaft, get some boots or metal guards. In 10,000 miles you should not have to rebuild shock regardless of brand, and Icon is one of the best out there. I think its your lack of driving that causes them to leak or you just had a bad set. I have 20,000 miles and almost exactly 2 years on my rebuilt Icons and no visible problems or leaks, daily driven on gravel roads. Before they were rebuilt lets just say they had "a lot" of miles on them and around 5 years old. I expect at least as long with this set. I've been more than happy with my experience there.
Good luck with your search! :smile

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank you for the advice so far. Let me clarify a couple things from my post.

While it is not my daily driver, it does get driven 2-3 times a week. Roughly 200 miles a week on average. I noticed the leaking at about 8000 miles, but the noises and bearing noise was noticed around the 6000 mile mark.

I understand rebuilding them would be the most cost effective option as wall as the simplest route, but frankly after dealing with Icon on the phone, I don't want to give them any more of my money. Customer service means something to me and they didn't not provide that. I didn't ask for any "warranty work" or freebies. I was fully prepared to pay. But I was repeatedly talked down to and boarder line insulted. So icon is off the table for me. Time to move on.

As far as the rears go @Iconic_ , they seem perfectly fine. No issues and still look newish. The fronts seem to have aged much quicker.

On my previous FJ, I had the same icon setup and it held up much better. They had 25000 miles on them with no problems, same driving style, off-road style, and about the same weekly mileage. So I am a little surprised with them not holding up this time around.

My plan is to buy something new at this point. As to what.......

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
You know that I went with Radflo. It seems like I've heard of customer service issues with Icon from some others on here. It seems odd because I never remember hearing anything but praise about Donahoe. Perhaps volume is changing their priorities. I've heard nothing but raves about Fox's performance and I've heard alot of praise about Toytec's customer service. So I don't think you could go wrong. I've also heard tons of people loving the new IronMan stuff.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You know that I went with Radflo. It seems like I've heard of customer service issues with Icon from some others on here. It seems odd because I never remember hearing anything but praise about Donahoe. Perhaps volume is changing their priorities. I've heard nothing but raves about Fox's performance and I've heard alot of praise about Toytec's customer service. So I don't think you could go wrong. I've also heard tons of people loving the new IronMan stuff.
I should have mentioned that Radflo is also on the potential menu based on your recommendation. Thanks for reminding me.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Ive read through tons of threads about all of the suspension options for the FJ. Long story short, I've been running Icon for the last 2 years and am happy with how it rides. However, both front shocks are leaking, bearings are shot, shafts show pitting, and the noises they now make drives me nuts. Ive only got 8500 miles on them at most as my FJ is not my daily driver, but it does get driven weekly. Ive talked to Icon and they are happy to rebuild them for me at my expense. The guy I talked with was kind of a tool on the phone and I did not get a real good feeling of "customer service". All he wanted to do was sell me on a rebuild or upgrade and not really answer any of my questions about the issues I am having after so few miles. Cool. Customer service goes a long way with me, so after the phone call I decided to be done with Icon in addition to the fact that I've gotten only 8500 miles out of them. So I have made the decision to replace them with something else.

Lots of great options out there, and so far I am kind of leaning towards Fox or Toytec Boss. I have a couple friends with Fox on Jeeps and Tacomas and they nothing but rave about them. My concern is that I would be getting myself into another regular rebuild situation which I don't want to do every 8-10,000 miles. Ive seen mixed reviews on the Boss set up, but I also have not seen them in person or had a chance to really check them out at all. The new OME stuff looks great, but I am not wanting to make that kind of $$ commitment at this time on something that is so new to the market.

80% of my miles are on road these days which I am hoping to up the offroad percentage in the near future. I don't do any fast stuff or sand, mostly out on trails and gravel road type of off road use.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
I'd love to be able to get you into the Ironman Foam Cell Pro setup. I've had a few customers come over from ICON. Feel free to PM me and we can chat more.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I understand rebuilding them would be the most cost effective option as wall as the simplest route, but frankly after dealing with Icon on the phone, I don't want to give them any more of my money. Customer service means something to me and they didn't not provide that. I didn't ask for any "warranty work" or freebies. I was fully prepared to pay. But I was repeatedly talked down to and boarder line insulted. So icon is off the table for me. Time to move on.
I will say that is the reason for two of my recent customers. I had some of the same issues with them when trying to solve an issue for a friend of mine. They do have one super great customer service rep. His name is Todd McNulty. If you want to stay with ICON, then give Todd a call and talk to him. IMO, he is the only thing saving that company when it comes to "small fries" in the general offroad customer.

·
Forum Beer Miester
3,447 Posts
Thank you for the advice so far. Let me clarify a couple things from my post.

While it is not my daily driver, it does get driven 2-3 times a week. Roughly 200 miles a week on average. I noticed the leaking at about 8000 miles, but the noises and bearing noise was noticed around the 6000 mile mark.

As far as the rears go @Iconic_ , they seem perfectly fine. No issues and still look newish. The fronts seem to have aged much quicker.

On my previous FJ, I had the same icon setup and it held up much better. They had 25000 miles on them with no problems, same driving style, off-road style, and about the same weekly mileage. So I am a little surprised with them not holding up this time around.

My plan is to buy something new at this point. As to what.......
Totally agree with you on this, there's no way that with that amount of mileage you should be having this kinda problem with ANY high dollar shock. I'll be honest that I've seen more threads concerning Icon issues since joining the forum than any other shock out there and I don't really care what sort of environment you're in, these should not fail so easily.

I know what you're saying about the BP-51's being untested however Bilstein did spend about 3 years on R&D for these and I'm hoping to get a full set next spring after Jimmy Buffett has thoroughly raked his new set over the coals for us!

IMO you could try advanced searches on a shock by shock basis to tabulate the issues with each brand and maybe come up with something of an idea on quality, but that's hardly a "scientific method". There seem to be a ton of folks very satisfied with the King's and Radflo's quality out there as well.

All in all I wish you the best of luck in your search and I hope you find some decent customer service to go with it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for the kind words @Thorn661.
@Vegas_Nick I will take a look at these and PM you if I have any questions.
@mikey I do still plan to run coil-overs. As to what I am still trying to decide....

·
Registered
211 Posts
This is kind of worrying. My Icons have been on the FJ since about 20K according to the previous owner, with 60K on the FJ now. No issues or rebuilds yet.

·
Registered
523 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts