Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little background info:

I am brand new to this forum and wanted a little feedback on an issue that I am having with my '07 FJ. I bought the car in June of 2008 and am the second owner. It had about 20k miles on it at that time. I recently took it to a Toyota dealership because I had been hearing some strange noises. After their inspection, they determined that my rear end (differential/carrier) was all torn up. I have about 68k miles on the rig now and have never even taken it off roading. It hasnt given me any kind of problem in the past. I kind of thought the noise was normal or my imagination. Luckily, the extended warrranty that I purchased is covering the cost of the repair. Here are my questions:

1. Why would the differential go out so soon especially when I have never taken it off roading?

2. Should I be at all concerned that they are replacing the parts with used ones instead of brand new parts? This decison was made by the warranty company (after market warrany thru Fidelity).

ps. Im not the smartest guy when it comes automotives, so please excuse my ignorance if I have left out any pertinent info or have erred in some way. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Early build 07s were prone to some bad ring gears. If it were used offroad fairly hard, it probably would have broken long ago. I would NOT allow them to use used parts. Even if I had to pay for new parts myself, they would still be covering the labor costs through the warranty. Good luck! :cheers:

·
Banned
393 Posts
One question. Have you replaced the diff. oil after you bought the FJ? Maybe the previous owner had contaminated the oil with water going through deep water / mud, leading to premature wear.

·
Premium Member
6,520 Posts
Insist the ring/pinion and bearings (essentially all the wearable parts) are brand new. The labor is the same as previously mentioned.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
1 Posts
Similar story. I bought my '07 used with 23000 miles. Toyota put in a new transmission in at 47000 when the main blew. Now with 90K miles, have had the noise for 15000 miles, thought it was the tires first. Then local shop said wheel bearing but when they looked closer said deferential and take it to Toyota. Toyota said wheel bearing even though I shared the information from the local shop. That cost me $1100 and did not help. Now they say deferential and want $2700. Showed them the information from this forum about similar problems. They are not willing to work with me at all. :flame: Even a second dealership said sorry. Think I'm done with Toyota.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts