Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought my FJ and the stock sound system is terrible! I wasn't impressed, I was expecting more power from the monster's in the doors!:smile I went to CrutchField and put all my info in, the only thing I'm unsure of is the speaker sizes. I have the 6 speaker system, 2 in dash, two in doors (driver's side , Passenger side) and two by rear hatch. I was reading some of these posts, and I'm still unsure of what to buy! Any good recommendations on speakers? Within the next couple day's I'm ordering a Sony XAV-W651BT to replace the Kenwood non bluetooth unit the car came with.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Recently bought my FJ and the stock sound system is terrible! I wasn't impressed, I was expecting more power from the monster's in the doors!:smile I went to CrutchField and put all my info in, the only thing I'm unsure of is the speaker sizes. I have the 6 speaker system, 2 in dash, two in doors (driver's side , Passenger side) and two by rear hatch. I was reading some of these posts, and I'm still unsure of what to buy! Any good recommendations on speakers? Within the next couple day's I'm ordering a Sony XAV-W651BT to replace the Kenwood non bluetooth unit the car came with.
yeah 6x9s in the front doors and tweeters in the dash and your good ,i recommend the Alpine power pack amp too... if you want back speakers (you really don't need them) get 3-1/2 for the back pillars and run them off the headunit, i will get you some links, I'm not crazy about the headunit you picked out ,are you open to suggestions?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all of that info!!! I chose the Sony XAV-W651BT because I wanted a backup Camera and it seemed like it had everything, plus the option for a navigation upgrade at a future point and was a good switch since its closer to what I have in my BRZ. But willing to look at other options, if you know of something similar! I was honestly going to buy the stuff and get BestBuy to install it, unless its easier than I think it's going to be. I'll probably go with Kicker's for speakers since I've heard amazing things about them and get the power pack amp. Anything else I'm missing or I would probably need?

Thanks so much!!

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
both the Pioneer headunit are better overall specs SQ etc. and are backup camera ready, thats why i threw it out there to consider ...no your set ,wiring harness etc the installers will have , the 6x9 adapters you will need or use MDF and a little sound deadening behind the 6x9s ..the Kickers are great speakers for the bucks and that little Alpine power pack amp makes a big difference..then if you want to add a sub at a later dater you're set via sub preouts!~

·
Registered
163 Posts

This is an awesome summary. My wife has given me the go ahead to finally upgrade my 2008 as a father's day present. Would your headunit recommendations be any different for an FJammer system with the overhead speakers and subwoofer?

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
No not at all via basically you're dumping anything factory and starting over ... the exciters in the headliner are a waste of time and money , the factory sub with and aftermarket headunit won't work via the sub preouts on the aftermarket headunit so if you want a sub we can look at that aftermarket wise

·
Registered
163 Posts
No not at all via basically you're dumping anything factory and starting over ... the exciters in the headliner are a waste of time and money , the factory sub with and aftermarket headunit won't work via the sub preouts on the aftermarket headunit so if you want a sub we can look at that aftermarket wise
Thanks. This gives me a great starting point.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I am not a fan of 6x9's so I went with a Rockford Fosgate 6.5 inch component set. I got the adapters from Crutchfield, mounted the 6.5 inch in the door and put the tweeters in the dash. Like ZoS said, you may want to consider putting an amp on your speakers to get the best performance out of them. The stereo only puts out limited power and some of these speakers require more than it can provide. I have a Rockford Fosgate Punch 400 running my door speakers and they will damn near make my ears bleed :)

Reactions: ZoSoIV

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Would you recommend buying a larger sized amp so it could power all speakers and the sub woofer? Or sticking with the smaller amp for the speakers (front dash, and doors. Then plug rears into receiver) and buy a 2nd one for a subwoofer?

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Would you recommend buying a larger sized amp so it could power all speakers and the sub woofer? Or sticking with the smaller amp for the speakers (front dash, and doors. Then plug rears into receiver) and buy a 2nd one for a subwoofer?
depends on the speakers and or sub your getting and your budget ...ideally a 2 way component speaker setup with a good sub and a 3 channel amp (JL XD-500/3) will yield you the best overall SQ system...with 6x9s and tweeters in the dash the Alpine Power Pack is good and a small sub using a small mono amp works, as i said depends on your budget ...matching up speakers /amps/sub is the goal for a well balanced system... the best bang for the buck per say

·
Registered
754 Posts
Thanks for all of that info!!! I chose the Sony XAV-W651BT because I wanted a backup Camera and it seemed like it had everything, plus the option for a navigation upgrade at a future point and was a good switch since its closer to what I have in my BRZ. But willing to look at other options, if you know of something similar! I was honestly going to buy the stuff and get BestBuy to install it, unless its easier than I think it's going to be. I'll probably go with Kicker's for speakers since I've heard amazing things about them and get the power pack amp. Anything else I'm missing or I would probably need?

Thanks so much!!
I wouldn't have Best Buy install it. Either do it yourself or find a reputable shop with good references and have them do it.

I didn't do anything major, replaced head unit and door speakers and dash speakers myself. You can do 6x9's in the doors. Crutchfield will have good fit info for the most part. When I did my fit info they only showed tweeters for the dash (which I did), but I later wrote them an email and provided them some info that 3 1/2's would easily fit and when I checked a bit after they had updated with some additional fit info for dash speakers.

Here's a post of what I installed... much simpler setup than many, but I had no issues with the install other than just coming up with a decent way to mount the dash tweeters...

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/stereo-electronics-electrical/425050-500-audio-upgrade-16.html#post7932970

·
Registered
402 Posts
Reactions: ZoSoIV

·
Registered
32 Posts
I can testify to the capability of the Pioneer head units. Recently put the x4800 in my '08 FJ and love it. Going to do speakers in the near future.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
This all depends on your budget. I have 2 amps in my FJ. One for the door speakers and one for the subs. In my opinion, this is the ideal setup. I also use an external crossover (Rockford Symmetry EPX2) so in order to optimize its functionality, 2+ amps are ideal. Going with the 500/3 JL Audio amp that ZoS recommended would save you some coin for sure and most likely be enough power for the regular crowd. I like my bass loud enough to hurt the eardrums, and if I could afford it, I would have four 12 inch subs instead of 2. Perhaps someday.....:grin

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
a great reference point on amps....say you have a 75 per channel watt amp that puts out 105 db you have to double the power to get another 3 db to 150 watts per channel to get 108 db ...so the goal should always be clean power (quality amp) within reason on wattage , 40 to 75 watts per channel is more than enough via its a good quality amp ...the point DON'T over spend on huge amps unless you have a huge budget , it quality not quaintly

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
a great reference point on amps....say you have a 75 per channel watt amp that puts out 105 db you have to double the power to get another 3 db to 150 watts per channel to get 108 db ...so the goal should always be clean power (quality amp) within reason on wattage , 40 to 75 watts per channel is more than enough via its a good quality amp ...the point DON'T over spend on huge amps unless you have a huge budget , it quality not quaintly
Exactly! Do not buy a crappy amp like Boss, HiFonics....ect. You will want to go with a good name brand like JL Audio or Rockford Fosgate. I had a friend that refused to take that advice and went with some crappy 1400 watt amp that he got on Amazon for $80. To prove my point to him, I hooked up my old Fosgate Punch 160 (80x2) to his 12's and it smoked that 1400 watt amp. It is quality over quantity.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts