Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I ordered the OME 2.5 suspension to replace my current stock suspension due to one of my shocks leaking oil. But my thought was that I should replace the control arm bushings as well just to void having to do it later. What are your thoughts?
Best Regards,
Kstarmack

·
Premium Member
12,310 Posts
I would check out the bushings and ball joint as well to see what shape they are in before starting. It maybe easier and faster to replace the entire assembly and possibly cheaper.

To replace the bushings all you need is a bench vise, bottle jack and a bottle torch and PPE. It is pretty simple but it can be a little but clenching for the 1st one or so.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would check out the bushings and ball joint as well to see what shape they are in before starting. It maybe easier and faster to replace the entire assembly and possibly cheaper.

To replace the bushings all you need is a bench vise, bottle jack and a bottle torch and PPE. It is pretty simple but it can be a little but clenching for the 1st one or so.
Do you have any recommendations on which bushings to purchase?

·
Premium Member
12,310 Posts
Honestly, my first stop is RockAuto and go from there. They usually have a good selection.

·
Registered
326 Posts
You did not specify which Control Arms. Uppers or Lowers or possible both. If you're running stock upper control arms on a lifted vehicle I recommend going with aftermarket arms to correct alignment. Check out JBA. For a couple hundred bucks over the cost of new bushing and ball joints you can get complete new arms. If your planning on replacing the lower control arm bushings, it is a pain in the a## and many people simple replace the entire arms. Attached is part 1 of a 3 part youtube video illustrating lower control arm bushing replacement.

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,135 Posts
The longevity of OE upper and lower control arms is unmatched by any aftermarket brand, and not knowing the age/mileage of your FJ how much lift you have makes advice difficult. But if you have a 3” lift you will need to change your UCAs anyhow, so I highly recommend SPC arms as they have the single best ball joint, and their sealed xAxis bushings are a game changer. If you live in snow/salt areas avoid open uniballs. For LCAs there’s nothing better than OE, plus Toyota doesn’t sell their excellent balljoint separately. You can buy OE bushings but it’s a labor-intensive swap. GL!

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
I replaced both my LCAs with moog brand My bushings were really shot. The new LCAs were a great price and they are working just fine :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts