Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

Replacing the Driveshaft

6K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  FJ-6MT 
#1 ·
Hi,

I recently purchased a new driveshaft from my local dealer and I am planning on replacing it myself. I have replaced driveshafts on various RWD cars and truck in the past and I feel pretty comfortable doing it myself. However I always like to look up other peoples howto's on forums and YouTube prior to doing the work myself. This way I know what to expect and I can prep the proper tools beforehand.

I for whatever reason cannot find any howto's on RWD driveshaft replacements on the forum or YouTube. I came across some 4WD write ups and videos but that is about it.

I was hoping someone can give me some tips on what to expect or any tribal-knowledge on specific ways that it needs to be done. Or is it just a straightforward install?

I even tried to look at the Toyota service manuals for mechanics and they only had write ups on 4WD setups. Which is why I am thinking its going to be a straightforward install.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Chad (2007 FJ CRUISER RWD)

See less See more
#3 ·
U-Joints were squeaking when I would reverse. Then it seized up all together and started to vibrate hard. I called Toyota, I wanted factory parts, and I was looking at a little over $200 for parts. Then to have a shop assembly the driveshaft and balance and labor seemed to cost close to what a new one would cost me. I got the new driveshaft from Toyota for $420 out the door because of a labor day sale on factory parts.

#7 ·
Yes should be straight forward as indicated by others. Instead of putting the t-case in neutral to spin the shaft you'll have to use the transmission. You could start the vehicle, or possible try the screwdriver trick to move the transmission shifter while the engine is off.

Make sure the tires are chocked!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.