Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My back door weather strip had gotten torn up over the years. Just replaced it with an OEM one today, put a bead of waterproof silicone seal around the metal it pushes onto. Took awhile to get it seated all around.

Question is now the door is tougher to close, a light close like before it won't close all the way, needs a hard close to latch. And when I pull on the door opener lightly like before it won't unlatch. I have to pull hard and the latch releases with a hard pop.

Is this normal with a new seal and just needs to break in a bit? I've gone around it quite a few times getting it pushed on.

·
Registered
714 Posts
My back door weather strip had gotten torn up over the years. Just replaced it with an OEM one today, put a bead of waterproof silicone seal around the metal it pushes onto. Took awhile to get it seated all around.

Question is now the door is tougher to close, a light close like before it won't close all the way, needs a hard close to latch. And when I pull on the door opener lightly like before it won't unlatch. I have to pull hard and the latch releases with a hard pop.

Is this normal with a new seal and just needs to break in a bit? I've gone around it quite a few times getting it pushed on.
Your silicon probably makes it stick out further than before, you arent supposed to add that. Even 1/8th of an inch makes a drastic difference in how your door opens and closes. With that said, over time your seal will form to the door. Or, for just a couple of bucks, any body shop can adjust the door now to your liking.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
My thought was the new seal needs to form to the door its probly a bit thicker when its new :)

·
Registered
638 Posts
Take a piece of 2 x4 by about 8" long thats sitting around and use it to tap the gasket in where the clips are , it will seat in over time after a few hot days and sitting in the sun.

·
Registered
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Its been on there an hour or so now and its already noticably better. I had to stop by a Toyota dealship to return a part since the sent me the wrong weather seal for the suicide door and one of their techs said that it didn't seem to be an issue.

The thin seam of seal I put on would push around the metal and shouldn't make it stick out since its just a very thin piece of metal the seal is pushing onto, the sealant would just go to the sides.

There was some remnants of a sealant on there from the original install (13 years ago), but a lot of it had worn of. I figured it needed something to hold the weather strip on. I first fit it on without anything but it would just peel off at the corners. Now with the flexible silicone sealant it should cure and hold it on.

I also was reading other threads on here before doing this that said to put on a bead of silicone seal (not the caulking strips). I used some waterproof silicone sealant marine grade I had left over from working on a boat.

·
Registered
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Take a piece of 2 x4 by about 8" long thats sitting around and use it to tap the gasket in where the clips are , it will seat in over time after a few hot days and sitting in the sun.
There are no clips. This is the rear door weather seal that attaches to the thin blade of metal around the body of the back end by just pushing it on. It doesn't attach to the door itself.

·
Registered
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

This is the rear weatherstrip, no clips, just pushes onto the back. Seems to be getting better, the latch isn't binding up as hard as when I first got it on this morning. So, I'll call it good and figure it will soften up a bit.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yeah a silicone grease (like Dow Corning 1,1,1) is pretty tacky stuff and will definitely make it harder to open the door. At work we use it to hold pump gaskets and seals in place for assembly.

I had an issue on a new truck years ago where the rubber door seal was rubbing and it seemed like maybe the door was misaligned, almost looked like it was getting chaffed by the door opening and closing. Took it back to the dealer to see what they thought and they said it just needed to be greased. They wiped a very light film of lithium grease on it and took care of the problem for a long time. I think I redid it myself maybe 5 or 6 years later. No issues with the door being hard to open or close.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Ian,
FWIW, I've had good results w/ Armor All / Black Magic type silicone sprays to lubricate/PM my weather-stripping. (I just bought the Walmart brand one: Auto Drive Protectant, 10 oz $2-$3; seems to work fine)
HTH,
D 🤠 🐮

1 - 9 of 9 Posts