Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question. Apparently I need a new transmission. Well they kept saying I need a new transmission, but the said my torque converter is going out. I thought this was a separate part inside the transmission. If this is the case why would I need a whole new transmission. Supposedly this will all be covered by my powertrain warranty. I know about the Magnussen Act, and I know that if they should try to say my transmission is out because of my lift and tires, they need to prove it.

But to my big question, is there really anyway to tear up your transmission just because you have a lift, 3" toytec, and tires 280/75/16 M. Thompson baja claws.

Thus far they say I'm covered. But because of the cost of the job they have to send off the info to get it approved. I'm sure I'll be fine but I'm a worrier. I don't know a lot about transmissions, I don't want to get blindsided by some technical jargon when they call me back tomorrow.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
....and your tire size over stock is only about 1" difference in radius, not much added stress with that small difference....

If a part was damaged due to the lift, ie: CV axle/boot, driveshaft issue, and such, you have more issue....

If you look at it down to the letter, yes your larger tires, and lift do put more stress of the drivetrain, just how much is the question...

It's a decision made when you decided to lift, knowing there is a chance things will no longer be covered by your warranty, it's a decision we all make... Lifting does not void the whole warranty, but it can on the effected items...

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the assurance Wikid.

Bandi, I agree. I more or less wanted to know if there was anything specific that I should know, in the off chance that they come back tomorrow and say "no go". Obviously at the end of the day, I took the risk by lifting the FJ, but we all don't know everything, so I figured I reach out to my fj cohorts for any advice on my pending adventure. Did I mention I've never had to have something replaced under a warranty before, let alone something as large and expensive as a transmission.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Most auto makers today don't allow dealers to repair transmissions any more, they can only replace the whole unit with a factory reman. If they are replacing the trans because of a bad torque converter they would be hard pressed to blame that on the larger tires.

·
Registered
8,955 Posts
Thanks for the assurance Wikid.

Bandi, I agree. I more or less wanted to know if there was anything specific that I should know, in the off chance that they come back tomorrow and say "no go". Obviously at the end of the day, I took the risk by lifting the FJ, but we all don't know everything, so I figured I reach out to my fj cohorts for any advice on my pending adventure. Did I mention I've never had to have something replaced under a warranty before, let alone something as large and expensive as a transmission.
LOL... I did not mean to preach... but the best thing I'd say is the tire size is not that significant IMO to cause an issue....

tirecalc said:
Tire Size Comparison
Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revs/Mile Difference
265/70-16 7.3in 15.3in 30.6in 96.2in 659 0.0%
280/75-16 8.3in 16.3in 32.5in 102.2in 620 6.3%

·
Registered
729 Posts
they did mine ive got 6" lift and lift 35's dont think they wil have to much of a problem with your ...Im sure they will make things right for ya

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL... I did not mean to preach... but the best thing I'd say is the tire size is not that significant IMO to cause an issue....
Nono, no offense taken. This is a high dollar venture I'm about to get into, and I just want info, or experience, or maybe just a new tranny. (and not the kind you can pick up at a bar named The Fiesta) So any type of knowledge be it good or bad you drop on me will be accepted. Thanks.

And GotInk (I do thanks for asking) thanks for the info, definitely puts my mind more at ease.

bl85, I didn't know that. Learn something new everyday, so they say.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts