Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my FJ in January of 2007 as a 2007 for $26900. I KBB and NADA it all the time and it seems like this thing is worth anywhere from $20-25 K depending on where I sell it. Now with gas going up this may not be the case right now but I have never owned a car that kept its resale value like this. I mean at the high end I would be selling it for what I bought it for almost. That is insane and almost unheard of with a car in this price range. Is it because you can hardly find a new one for less than $30K? Since I significantly less I am completely happy to be on the upright end on this deal right now!

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have an 07 I bought new in August of 07, 2WD 11k miles on it today. I paid $23,200 plus tax, tag, etc. KBB says it's worth $28.5k retail, $26k private party sell, $24k trade in.

Either our cars hold value exceptionally well (better than the stock market over the same time period) or KBB is full of s**t.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
I think the auto industry has some influence on used car values. They would rather sell new than used. Also in my area, dealers aren't taking cars in to the auction. Private dealers are having a hard time buying cars. It's sort if weird.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The car is priced higher nowadays then back in '07, that drives the value of it up as now the used 07's are being compared to the 2010-11's. I picked up my 07 MT every option possible with 35K miles last March (2010) for $20K. Seems like KBB is off a little too.

G

·
I bought my 07 in May last year with 31,000 on it. At the time kbb was showing $22,000 retail. Today with 60,000 on it kbb is showing $26,000. I'm have no intention to ever sell but it is interesting to know.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
A big item driving the price of used Japanese cars up is that new vehicles are not shipping out of Japan after the Earthquake. My wife runs a used car business and has told me that the values of 1-8 year old Japanese vehicles has gone up, sometimes a couple thousand dollars.

This is not just evidenced by KBB or NADA, the loan values which are set by lending institutions have also taken a jumo. My wife noticed that the loan value on one Mazda they had went up $1,900.00 over night.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
Just of curiosity why doesn't the TRD Supercharger show up on the KBB or Nada as an option for consideration for resale? You have to admit its not just a MoD that shouldn't carry any or little Value to the resale of a vehicle considering its warranty coinsides (spell check) with the toyota warranty and is a toyota backed product.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I think that only factory options are on the KBB and NADA sites. I do not think the supercharger was ever a factory listed option, just a dealer option, but I could be wrong...

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
FJs seem to hold their value very well.
I was looking at both new and used FJs. I found that in my area an 07 from a dealer with about 50k miles, they were asking $26000.
I found a 2010 TT with 8k miles they were asking almost $39k, thousands more than retail when it was new. Very crazy.
I got my 2011 Iceberg 6MT with offroad and convenience package for right around $30k out the door with full warranty and all that stuff.

·
Registered
458 Posts
got mine year ago for 19,000 now check nadaguide its shows 23,900 with mileage and stuff....

·
Registered
17 Posts
i am a wholesaler, and i was buying my fj from auction until i found out that they are hot on export and 07-08's with 45k on them are going for 25k wholesale! got my 2011 fj for 30,800 at 3.9% sticker was 33895.00. in this business would never buy new, but in the case of the fj, its a no brainer. also black hottest color for export. white ones are 3 grand less at auction. FACT!

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
I don't want to burst anybody’s bubble but KBB pricing means nothing. I appraise cars every day and the true value is what they are selling for @ an auction. why would someone pay $24k for a vehicle that they could purchase for $20k @ an auction. now that is not to say that fj's don't hold their value, they do. just not as much as you would think. I purchased my 08 TT with 32k on it in December for $22k. that was $500 more that we traded it for. We sold that truck 3 years earlier for $30k, $200 over invoice. That’s a 28% value reduction, Slightly better than average.

Where you will see a big difference is as they age. My gut tells me that US sales of the FJ are numbered. The CAFÉ standards (corporate average fleet economy) get very tight in 2013 and jump dramatically every year until 2016. I think that is why they are introducing them into more international markets. Now this will be good for us because supply ends, but demand should remain high. Sorry for being long winded.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tonka I have to agree but at the same time I know as far as trading the vehicle off most dealerships will use a combination of the NADA, KBB, and a third source that is slipping my mind. Auction prices are not what many consumers look at. But you are right, why pay more for something when you could get it for less? It's because many may not have access to anything less than a dealership. I also would expect my trade or sale to start somewhere that I can reference such as KBB or NADA. Current events will drive the value up or down but someone mentioned the imports from Japan slowing recently, funny thing is I have been watching my trade in and private party increase over the last year. I also think the rising cost of gas would offset any rarity in the decrease in imports from Japan right now.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I haven't seen a jump yet but that doesn't mean it's not out there. I have mentioned that I should start calling around wanting an obscene amount for my car but the issue is what if someone takes the offer? I cannot part with this car, it is way too useful.

·
Premium Member
1,277 Posts
I don't want to burst anybody’s bubble but KBB pricing means nothing. I appraise cars every day and the true value is what they are selling for @ an auction. why would someone pay $24k for a vehicle that they could purchase for $20k @ an auction. now that is not to say that fj's don't hold their value, they do. just not as much as you would think. I purchased my 08 TT with 32k on it in December for $22k. that was $500 more that we traded it for. We sold that truck 3 years earlier for $30k, $200 over invoice. That’s a 28% value reduction, Slightly better than average.
I have sold 5 cars (me as single owner) and every time KBB was used as the standard for value. This holds true for the 20+ cars my parents have sold over the years. So KBB does mean more than "nothing." Many people (especially on So Cal) would not even think about buying a car at auction given the fact you really do not know its history. I ran mine on KBB and figure that for the value at current condition/mileage, and if sold at KBB value, I would have paid $65/month for my FJ over the past three years. You can't beat that!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,473 Posts
I have sold 5 cars (me as single owner) and every time KBB was used as the standard for value. This holds true for the 20+ cars my parents have sold over the years. So KBB does mean more than "nothing." Many people (especially on So Cal) would not even think about buying a car at auction given the fact you really do not know its history. I ran mine on KBB and figure that for the value at current condition/mileage, and if sold at KBB value, I would have paid $65/month for my FJ over the past three years. You can't beat that!!!!
When I do an appraisal I will use 3 sources, KBB, Black Book, and Manheim auctions. We as other dealers will show KBB because the consumer is familiar with it. Black Book is an average of regional auctions, and Manheim is both real time and national. KBB is the most inaccurate I regularly see them both thousands to high and low. That is why dealers won't base a decision on them. They might tell you that they are, but trust me they aren’t.

And as for not buying a car from an auction, if you have bought a used car off of a dealers lot odds are it came from a auction. We sell 19 different brands; have over 4000 cars in stock of which 1300 are used. Even with all of the cars we sell we don’t get enough trades to stock our lots. What is different about us is we are posted price and full disclosure. We have a 80% customer retention rate, that is unheard of in the car industry. Our web pricing is regularly used as a national average for people to go shop their local dealers.

Go in to the chat rooms @ edmunds.com and you can confirm everything I just said.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts