Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brining this over from another forum section.

At what point do you need resevoir shocks? Got it if you're running some serious washboard or rough terrain for hours on end, but for your average everyday wheeler/weekend warrior are they really going to make a difference?

I'm looking at getting aftermarket coilovers and rear shocks, and just want to know if I should go ahead and get resi's or if non-resi's will work for everything except extreme offroading?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Brining this over from another forum section.

At what point do you need resevoir shocks? Got it if you're running some serious washboard or rough terrain for hours on end, but for your average everyday wheeler/weekend warrior are they really going to make a difference?

I'm looking at getting aftermarket coilovers and rear shocks, and just want to know if I should go ahead and get resi's or if non-resi's will work for everything except extreme offroading?
Resi's are more of a cooling apparatus than anything. Like you stated, they are there to help cool the shocks for extended high speed running to prevent shock fade. For lower speed rock crawling, trail driving you will not notice any difference between the resis and non. They do provide more fluid and more distance for the fluid to travel. whether this changes the performance other than the cooling aspect is something i havn't figured out yet. They do look cool though! I went ahead and got them.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess my question then would be generally at what speeds/duration of use/abuse does shock fade become a concern?

Just FYI, I'm leaning towards getting (non-resi) SAWs or Icons at all 4 corners.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, that's what I wanted/needed to hear. I do get out in the desert from time to time, but nothing extreme (yet...). Thanks!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I guess my question then would be generally at what speeds/duration of use/abuse does shock fade become a concern?

Just FYI, I'm leaning towards getting (non-resi) SAWs or Icons at all 4 corners.
Unless you're flying across desert at speed, IMO resevoir shocks is a bit of overkill... but they do look nice! :rocker:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts