Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
No dragging, just humming and slight vibration. Yes, bearings did it. I replaced them myself, just paid Toyota few bucks to press the bearings into the hubs.
Hubs were 160 a pair, aftermarket bearings 140 a pair, plus about 30 bucks worth of seals and 8 bearing bolts, 4 per side.. So roughly 350 in parts. Toyota, if i am not mistaken, charges about 400 dollars per side, just for labor. OEM bearing are 170 each :)

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
My 07 fj has a humming noise that changes with speed and also when you let off the gas it has drag. Doubt a bearing on one wheel would cause this or it would pull to one side and it don't. I have heard alot of rear ends do this. Has anyone changed the gears to remedy this problem?

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,882 Posts
A bad bearing on one wheel wouldn't necessarily cause a pull if it is on the rear axle.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Took it to shop finally. Brought it to a good friends shop that has a lot of knowledge about rear ends and 4wds. Very dissapointing. Said it wasn't loud enough to pinpoint noise right now!! I can clearly hear humming from passenger rear and still have slight resistance when let off gas. Guess I will have to drive it untill it falls apart to get anything done:(

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
142 Posts
No dragging, just humming and slight vibration. Yes, bearings did it. I replaced them myself, just paid Toyota few bucks to press the bearings into the hubs.
Hubs were 160 a pair, aftermarket bearings 140 a pair, plus about 30 bucks worth of seals and 8 bearing bolts, 4 per side.. So roughly 350 in parts. Toyota, if i am not mistaken, charges about 400 dollars per side, just for labor. OEM bearing are 170 each :)
2007-2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4WD Front Wheel Bearing & Hub Kit Pair at 1AAuto.com

Do you think this kit has everything I need to swap out my front?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased my 2010 FJ with 57,000 miles recently. I heard road noise and the dealer told me it was the tires. After driving it for a while the sound just kept bugging me so I aligned the vehicle, balanced the tires, and rotated the tires. Still the same noise from the rear of the FJ. It is always there but resonates at 40 mph so bad it hurts my ears. It is different from road noise because it is not constant but rather like road noise with a wobbling sound.

I watched a YouTube video on bad wheel bearings and voila! That is the exact sound my FJ is making! The very next day I drove straight to Toyota and they called me and stated it was two bad wheel bearing in the rear. It is covered under warranty and they brought me a rental car from Enterprise. It will only cost me $50. Thank you Toyota for being honorable!

I am very excited to get my FJ back tomorrow! Quiet and safer will be very welcome! I have included the video link

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Welcome to the forums, :cheers: "Thank you Toyota for being honorable!" You've got to be kidding me right? First they tell you it's the tires then only after you get in their face about it do they fix the problem. I'm surprised they didn't say to you that "they all do it". Anywho, glad to hear you got it fixed by them. As you can tell I'm not a fan of any dealership "doing the right thing":bandit:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Same here, just had the front driver side wheel baring replaced, and now smooth as butter.

I got really lucky and it cost me only $300 parts and labor. If anyone is in long island, and wants a local honest mechanic, pm me. I've been going to him for the past 6 years with 3 different cars.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Need a good mechanic in Colorado / Resistance and Humming Noise while driving???

Same here, just had the front driver side wheel baring replaced, and now smooth as butter.

I got really lucky and it cost me only $300 parts and labor. If anyone is in long island, and wants a local honest mechanic, pm me. I've been going to him for the past 6 years with 3 different cars.
Any one knows a mechanic in Denver Colorado that can do this repair?
Just heard from the Dealer and they want $2200

21 - 30 of 30 Posts