Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The skid is nice. I attempted to install it today but gave up because it was way too hot out. One thing that prevented me from getting it installed though were the small suspension arms, I don't know what it's called, but it is bolted on by 2 12mm bolts on each end. There is a "tab" that protrudes out of where the two bolts goes. The skid doesn't have holes for those tabs. I don't know if I'm supposed to mount the skid right on it, which I tried but the supplied bolts were too short, or am I supposed to cut it off? Another thing, there isn't a drain hole for the transmission so changing the fluid or flushing will require removal of the skid.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes! That's exactly it. Did you trim the "tab" that was sticking out from that suspension bar? Can't tell from the picture. Sounds like you mounted it right on those tabs since you had to buy longer bolts..?

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Yup, you've instantly lost at least an inch or more of ground clearance all across the rear of the skid plate.

The skid plate goes UNDER the cat protectors, not over them.

That's why your bolts were "too short" ... if you had the skid plate installed correctly, the original bolts would have been long enough.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yup, you've instantly lost at least an inch or more of ground clearance all across the skid plate.

That's why your bolts were "too short" ... if you had the skid plate installed correctly, the original bolts would have been long enough.
Actually you are incorrect. I removed the cat protectors and bolted it right to the cross member the first time. unfortunately when you do that the skid bumps up against the exhaust and where the front and rear skids meet it will cause the trans skid to protrude down. Believe me i tried it without and it doesnt work. They are made to fit like that per Mr. Boresz.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes! That's exactly it. Did you trim the "tab" that was sticking out from that suspension bar? Can't tell from the picture. Sounds like you mounted it right on those tabs since you had to buy longer bolts..?

No i didnt remove the tabs. You can remove your cat protectors and bolt it straight to the cross member and you will see what happens. Because of the way they mate up the rear of the trans skid will hit the exhaust and the front of the trans skid will protrude down like 3 fingers. I know others will comment but i would suspect they have bud built or some other brand that mount totally different.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yup, you've instantly lost at least an inch or more of ground clearance all across the skid plate.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Actually you are incorrect. I removed the cat protectors and bolted it right to the cross member the first time. unfortunately when you do that the skid bumps up against the exhaust and where the front and rear skids meet it will cause the trans skid to protrude down. Believe me i tried it without and it doesnt work. They are made to fit like that per Mr. Boresz.
Are you absolutely certain you got the correct skid plate for your specific vehicle and model year?

This is how everything should fit together ('14 with Richochet aluminum armor): front edge of transmission skid clamped directly against front crossmember, rear edge trans skid clamped against transmission crossmember, with the cat rails below the plate.

Positioning the rear edge of the skid plate on top of the cat protectors makes zero sense.

EDIT: Well, if that's the way Resz designed it, that's the way it is. It does protect the vulnerable and poorly located exhaust crossover, but it also drops the rear of the transmission skid over an inch lower from what it could be. You take your choice ... ground clearance, or crossover protection?
IMG_1785.JPG

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you absolutely certain you got the correct skid plate for your specific vehicle and model year?

This is how everything should fit together ('14 with Richochet aluminum armor): front edge of transmission skid clamped directly against front crossmember, rear edge trans skid clamped against transmission crossmember, with the cat rails below the plate.

Positioning the rear edge of the skid plate on top of the cat protectors makes zero sense.
View attachment 1135731 View attachment 1135731
Thanks for the pictures. That's exactly what threw me off!

·
Premium Member
12,430 Posts
Maybe Resz is designed different than Ricochet??

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Maybe Resz is designed different than Ricochet??
No one would design a transmission skid plate that was only clamped against the edges of the four little sheet-metal 'bolt head protectors' at the outboard ends of the cat protector bars. From a mechanical design standpoint, does that make ANY sense at all?

Is the OP certain that the cat protectors are supposed to be used with the Resz transmission skid? A number of aftermarket FJ transmission skid plates appear to just eliminate these low-hanging components.

Sooner or later someone will post a photo of a correctly-installed Resz transmission skid plate.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have the RCI skids, but this thread caught my eye. I have my skid installed underneath the bolt head protectors as seen in this picture (from the RCI website product photos). It’s definitely a bit awkward, and required some long bolts. Like the OP suggested, my plate hits the exhaust if I don’t mount it this way.
If there’s a better/more sturdy way to do it, I’d love to see photos so I can correct my setup!

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,912 Posts
It really does look like OP mounted it correctly. I had Richochets once as well and was nice that they bolted under the cat tubes, but it looks like these other manufacturers are going over them to probably clear the exhaust. My current ARBs hang low because they go under the exhaust, but are supported by a large bracket instead of those cat tube bolts.

Reactions: Dustin Harrington

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Having the cat protectors hang you up as you slide over rocks is what Makes Zero sense . OP you have them correct .

Reactions: Dustin Harrington

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
All the pictues I see are of shinny plates. Lets see of them beat to see how they work on the different installs.
You are on the wrong forum if you think you are going to see many rigs here with rock rash .

·
Registered
2007 FJC 4x4.
9,912 Posts
All the pictues I see are of shinny plates. Lets see of them beat to see how they work on the different installs.
Since the OP got his question answered I'll play.

OG Ricochet skids. Had them for about 7 years. Just decided to change it up one day and they now reside on someone else's FJ.

By the end the engine skid was a little wavy, but no issues bolting it back on time and time again.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts