Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My friend backed into my 07 FJ with her Jeep and dented the drivers side fender. I took it a reputable body shop and things start to get interesting...

I got the run around picking it up, (about 2 days worth plus a weekend). I finally get it back and they inform me they had lost the key, took it to the dealer(?) and had a new one made. I'm quietly fuming (body work looks great, but I expected that.) They provide me a stupid valet key that won't manually unlock my doors. I advise them to correct that, get me an original looking key BLAH< BLAH<BLAH

Fast forward a few days, I'm driving on the freeway and I seem to lose power for a "cycle" and it catches back up, it does this twice and carries on. It had been raining. Today I'm driving in heavy rain with light flooding and I really started to lose power, dash lights dimmed, engine slugged and tranny even felt funny. I was able to pull off, wait a bit and get back to the farm. Sort of felt like a wet distributor...etc.

I call shop, they were happy I called as they are having trouble getting me my key... Funny, I'm having some issues and you had it last. They happily welcomed it right back, and gave me rental NQA.

They have her.

My husband thinks they possibly replaced the ignition and pinched a wire (I intend to ask them tomorrow. Someone tried to Jack his GTO, locked up the steering column and the ignition had to be replaced. After which caused erratic horn blowing caused by pinched wire :lol:)

When I returned the car, it drove fine but all 4 dash lights are on. That is not typical for me. I had traction lights on a couple months ago, turned out to be a screw in the tire. Fixed tire... Resolved.
The fuse box was not properly covered when I looked under the hood, I did replace the fuse box cover.

Coincidence? Ideas

·
A-Team Moderator
8,988 Posts
All the wiring, battery, fuse box, etc. is on the drivers side, the side that was repaired/replaced. Something's loose and not grounding properly is my guess.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Do not forget the battery.

Agree, they may have disconnected battery to be safe for one reason or other. When done they may have been in a hurry and just shoved the clamp and then got sidetracked and not tightened the clamp correct.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,838 Posts
Also check the little ground wire from the main one on the battery to the fender. Those break fairly easily. I think it's a Toyota thing as I've had 2 break on my '90 pickup, 1 on my '90 4Runner, and one on the FJ. So far so good with the Tundra.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
I bet if you mention lawyer they will have your truck running perfect and they will get you a regular key :) No way would I put up with that crap :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Also check the little ground wire from the main one on the battery to the fender. Those break fairly easily. I think it's a Toyota thing as I've had 2 break on my '90 pickup, 1 on my '90 4Runner, and one on the FJ. So far so good with the Tundra.
Is that wire important? ( I know it must be there for a reason but mine has been gone for years and I never had an issue)

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Is that wire important? ( I know it must be there for a reason but mine has been gone for years and I never had an issue)
That's the main chassis ground. When you upgrade the "Big 3", you would upgrade that connection as well. Without it connected, things that are grounded to other points on the chassis wouldn't work properly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update:

The entire power distribution box has fried and is melting. My beloved FJ is awaiting parts and surgery. I will add that it took 4!, yes 4! different dealers to find it.
The vehicle would not keep codes on, first reading came back as cam sensors and throttle body sensor. Mechanically, the vehicle was perfect...
The second dealer (who also happened to be responsible for the first ****ty key) wanted to replace my lock tumblers, and not even talk about the electrical.
Third dealer only wanted to focus on erroneous codes. I wouldn't let someone just replace sensors when I felt there was a deeper electrical issue.
Finally! I got a winner, I explained what happened and the Master guy, over at Don Joseph Toyota in Kent, OH over the phone explained that somehow there is backflow coming from the power distribution box. Body Shop took my FJ there, key issue resolved, and problem found.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
28,838 Posts
Good to hear that you found someone that can fix it for you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Stalling... Could it be electrical?

I purchased my 07 Manual in September with 106k miles. No known issues.
My friend backed into the fender in the beginning of December, starting the saga from HELL.
The power distribution box had to be replaced, approx., 300 miles after this repair (which I drove in under 18 hours from the repair, through a blizzard), and two jumpstarts...
It stalled in motion, while I was attempting to turn left. 3/4 tank fuel.
It would not restart, eventually I was able to keep it running to get it out of the intersection.
Battery cable was loose.
It was towed back to where repair was done.
Technician informs me they are getting a fuel vac lock code?

Ideas? What is the common mileage for fuel pump failure? Are there early symptoms? Could this be a computer glitch caused by battery cable? I might add that PDB failure scorched the mainline...

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
A rear end collision can be enough to prematurely end the life of a fuel pump. I'm not sure there are early symptoms though. I've had a few fail over the years on different vehicles and usually they work until they don't if that makes sense.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
" ... and the Master guy, over at Don Joseph Toyota in Kent, OH over the phone explained that somehow there is backflow coming from the power distribution box."

Hard to say, maybe the Master guy thought he had to "dumb it down" when trying to explain an electrical problem to a chick, but if he thinks there is "backflow" going on, then he's clueless as to what is actually going on in the circuit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The dumbing down explanations are really frustrating. This whole thing is really frustrating. Additionally, I had a guy pass off my insistence of this ongoing electrical issue that started post repair... as "well, did it occur to you that you purchased a used vehicle?"
Venting now: Yes, I am aware, but it's not a rag, I wanted this specific car, which I drove for 90 days without any issue before you took apart my front , lost my key and fried my electronics.

Yes, they can explain things to me with big words, If I have a question I will ask.

Does anyone here have experience with electrical issues?

The power distribution box was replaced, why wouldn't that be the logical place to start? And why won't these people give me the actual code, instead of making stuff up. Uggh.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
1. My first guess would be a bad ground from battery to chassis. On the fender between the battery and fuse box, there is major chassis ground for a portion of the electrical system. I thought there was one wire coming from the negative side of the battery, but 2 or more coming from the wire harness where they meet & connect at the fender. I would guess that fuse box and or interior use that ground wire for a multitude of relays and or instrumentation, could even be charging circuit and/or ECU?

2. Second guess would be as others have mentioned, fuse box wiring or connections/connectors for various circuits.

GL

1 - 20 of 20 Posts