Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Newer to the forums. Just got my 08 FJ a month ago :rocker: and start modding her right away. Over the weekend I installed a Kenwood DNX6180 and attempted to install Kenwood CMOS-200 reverse camera. Having issues locating the reverse lamp wire...

I have searched google images, this forum, and other forums for some pics of what wire to tap and no dice to date. There were a couple of good threads in here but the images are now gone.

I attempted to tap a red wire with yellow line on it in the driver side door sill, a yellow wire with a red stripe in 2 separate locations in the driver side fuse box and nothing. Actually the yellow wire with red stripe produces an "always on" effect for me...

Anybody have a picture of the wire or good details. Basically looking for somebody who had the same issues as I am.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,495 Posts
Welcome! If you want you can tap off the red wire and put it on a switch. That way you can use the camera when ever you want. :cheers:

·
Registered
147 Posts
if i remember its on the passenger side, im gonna run out and grab a pic. gimme 5 min...

·
Registered
147 Posts
the trigger wire is on the passenger side. behind the glove box to the right. its a red wire with a blue stripe.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Dude, thanks so much for the pics. Everywhere on the net I searched for this too I kept running into situations where somebody took the time to take a pic but it was so old it got removed from their photobucket.... I too had the exact same issue tap'n multiple yellow+red wires on the driver side door sill and fuse panel. Gonna hit the garage right now and get it working!!

Edit:

I spoke too soon. Turns out I don't even have that wire in my 2009 FJ... WTF!! hahaha. I have the Yellow/Red wire on that side too. It just defaults HOT all the time. FML.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Thank you so much DannyG! This was a total life saver. I'd already installed the camera, ran all the wires up to the dash and put everything back together. Deciding I now wanted it automatically come on, when I shifted to reverse, I really wished I'd opted to tap into the reverse lights. Chased for hours, and took more dash apart, looking for the elusive red/yellow wire. Found two on the drivers side, and neither worked for me. Finally found this post, and without tools, was able to meter it out and it works perfect!

Mine is an '08, and I don't know if the wiring is different on other years. Either way, it works like it should, and I can select to it anytime I want also. Taken the interior apart so many times, I had the whole dash (and front seat) put back together in less than 20 minutes! I forgot why I kept putting it off (had the camera from another vehicle for years), and it's because these things are wiring nightmares, compared to domestics. NO wasted space! Unlike the Fords and Chevs that I used to wire. Room to stash things all over the place in those!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts