Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I actually have 5 pulleys and 4 straps/ropes and have done this twice once to practice and once to get out of a hole. The one thing he didn't mention is it takes a LOT of line/cable to do this. The distance you want to travel backwards requires 3 times the cable but it does work very well.
I knew someone carried alll of this gear. I'm slowly building my stash.

I would say it is stupid to put another man on the payroll and truck on the road just so I don't have to go off road alone. It happens in the real world. A couple of hundred bucks in snatch blocks and tree straps is small potatoes if it keeps you from losing the whole day.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
Unfortuantely, here in AZ, you'd not only have to pack the snatch blocks and the straps, but you'd have to bring the trees too.
That was exactly my point!

I live in tree plentiful country... and I don't even see this happening easily. Hell... when I'm stuck 9/10 it's deep in mud and I'm lucky to find a tree strong enough to pull me out within 75ft. The other 1 time, i'm stock on a rock graveyard and same scenario usually applies.

:rofl:

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
Have you ever been sidehill on soft ground, and every time you try to gas it forward, you slide sideways closer to a tree?

I've seen video of that... it looks like something I'd dream of, and then wake up in a cold sweat.

I like our rocks. :)

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
Have you ever been sidehill on soft ground, and every time you try to gas it forward, you slide sideways closer to a tree?

I've seen video of that... it looks like something I'd dream of, and then wake up in a cold sweat.

That's pretty much a given on a lot of trails around here. You learn to be real stingy with the skinny peddle when you get into the tree twisties. That's one reason I really like the 6MT. It crawls slow enough it keeps you out of trouble - most of the time. And breaking out the winch to keep you from sliding off the side of the cliff is not a foul be any means - it's a skill around here :rocker:

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
That's the craziest damn thing I have ever seen... I guess if you have nothing better to do and have a boner for collecting tree savers and pulley blocks you might have a 1-10% max chance of actually making this work in the field. What are the chances that you would have enough winch line to rig that up with adequate sized trees for winching in exactly the right spots?

I actually counted 4 pulley's in this setup. 1 front direction change, 1 rear direction change, 1 pulley off the bumper (receiver) and another rear pulley near the direction change.

I'm not bothering with taking notes on this rig. It's interesting... but, I think it is very impractical. If I had that many pulley's at my disposal, I would have at leat 2 other friends with me.
What he said X-2!! Seems it would be more practical to call in the National Guard and have them fly you out with a heavy lift helicopter. You've got as good a chance getting THAT done as you would trying to make this setup work in a real world situation.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

Done that, I had put my sliders on 2 days before. Rode the slider around the tree. Missed the roof of the truck by about 1 inch.

Not always but usually plenty of anchors round here mixed Oak / Pine forest, but I'll get to try my luck with rocks at Cruise Moad:clap:

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I'd like to have a rear winch built in the for sake of it being cool. Anyways that's more weight and my FJ is already fat.

The poor man's winch.... When I need a winch it's usually because I'm stuck in mud. That means the underside of the FJ is packed with it.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Unfortuantely, here in AZ, you'd not only have to pack the snatch blocks and the straps, but you'd have to bring the trees too.
How about just carying 4 Pul-pals?! :rofl:

The whole concept is mostly just an excercise or drill to see if it can be done but it is so impractical as to be pretty near worthless.

I wheel alone a lot because I am retired and can go when others can't. I have been stuck a few times where a reverse winching would have been nice. Insted I just winched on thru/over the obstacle, turned around and winched back. I know that is not always possible, but so far it has saved me a long walk or two.

Also I have a mantra that is always playing in my head when faced with a potential sticky situation, especially when alone:

"when in doubt, chicken out"

Works better than a truckload of snatchblocks every time!:lol:

Ace

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Cool idea but sure is a lot of rigging! I've never used my Hi Lift for winch duty. I always carry a come-along in my bag of goodies. Easy to rig, just requires a bit of muscle.
Using the Hilift provides an 8000' winch. I seriously doubt your come-along is rated anywhere near that.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I actually haven't used the rear winch as much as I thought. Most of the time it was to secure my FJ while rescuing others with the front winch.

I have to remove the rear winch in the next month or so to put on a new one for SEMA in Nov.

-Ben

21 - 33 of 33 Posts