Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
07-10 Toyota FJ Cruiser Black Rear Bumper Corner Guards - eBay (item 380271353127 end time Feb-17-11 19:29:17 PST)

I bought these corner guards because people kept hitting my bumper wings in the rear. They have been hit 2 times on each side.

The quality of these things are pretty good but they may do very little to protect your wings. The problem is on one side it mounts to the location you would install a tow hitch and the other side bolts to a hole that secures the bumper. That area is extremely weak. Near the rear you can push on it with your foot and is pretty solid but the other area bends easily.

The test: Someone hit my car for the 5th time. The corner guard protected my wing this time but was moved out of place. It wasn't bent so I just moved it back and tightened the bolts a little tighter that secures the guard.
I can see a light mark across the guard, but the powdercoated paint held.

Overall they kind-of work but need a re-design to be a bit more solid. If someone were to use the guard as a step it would easily bend.

Attachments

·
Registered
200 Posts
i just received these today. they DO NOT fit with a rear stock skid plate

·
Registered
190 Posts
Wow, those look like ass...I'd be interested in a solution for the rear wings, but not something that looks like that and can be bent easily.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
You've had your bumper wings hit 5 times? Do you park here?

·
Registered
200 Posts
i may keep these since im not interested in a 15% restocking fee and a 2nd payment of shipping. my problem is the rear skid plate is in the way. i think i may take it off and trim it in the corner to make the attachments fit in. the problem with these is that they are not one single piece that hooks up underneath your rear. you have the tube section that wraps around the wings then the attachments that connect underneath the rear (hooked up inbetween by bolts) kinda hard to explain. i guess thats why they dont show the connections in the pictures because its kinda weak. imho it can still protect you somewhat from people that like to play bumper cars while parking and i have alot of those around here

·
Registered
200 Posts
also i forgot to mention, if you have an eye hook for pulling in the rear you have to take that off for the attachment

·
Registered
200 Posts
if anyone from NJ nearby is interested in these shoot me a PM. i may let them go for a good price. dont know if i really wanna trim the corner of my rear skid plate

1 - 10 of 10 Posts