Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening. I've been not so patiently waiting for the Exp 1 group buy (primarily for the roof rack) but now see that Metal Tech is having a pretty amazing group buy going on their stuff. Always admired the look and engineering of the Phantom bumper, but have never read any reviews on it. Are there any members who have experience with the Phantom? My other choice is to hold out and go all in with Exp 1 Diamond front bumper and roof rack (when it eventually gets released).

I appreciate any feedback.

Regards,

Desmo

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I pulled the trigger on the Phantom stage 3 as part of the group buy, so I'll be able to answer my own question. Hopefully I love it! :rocker: Looks like a long back-order though, but the deal was good. No worries. Plan is to add Shrockworks washer reservoir and an SPod with switch panel to the build as well. Winch will probably be a Christmas sale item. I'll try to post pics this summer when I do the install.

Desmo

·
4-Corners Moderator
4,934 Posts
Sweet! Let us know when you get it and show it off to us! Haven't really seen anyone install one yet except on the rig they had on display at FJ Summit. :rocker:

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh man, I got the last one somehow and it arrived yesterday! Plan is to get it installed next weekend. I will post pics. MT really packaged everything up securely. The lights and bumper arrived boxed up on a pallet with tip sensors and everything. The 2 piece assembly of the bumper/winch mount make this thing much easier to manhandle when I unpacked everything for sure.

Now I'm just trying to decide if I'm going to go with a spod FJ 6 panel switch with custom rockers, or the new switchpros 9100. Cost would end up being similar. I love how the sPOD will look like it matches with all the other stock switches. I understand SP has new technology, but I feel like a lot of the functions may never be used by me. All I want to do is turns my lights on and off, maybe add a radio, more lights and a seat warmer perhaps. I keep going back and forth...:nerd

·
Registered
7,380 Posts
Oh the seat warmers are a must.
I had them installed in the wife’s FJ and the following year I had them installed in mine. I never thought that I would like them as much as I do but one of the best mods I’ve done

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh the seat warmers are a must.
I had them installed in the wife’s FJ and the following year I had them installed in mine. I never thought that I would like them as much as I do but one of the best mods I’ve done
Oh that's good to hear! I will be asking you for tips on who you had do the install. By the way, I had a great phone conversation with the guy who runs sPOD. He took the time to answer a bunch of my questions and got me really excited about the product line. Somehow, the 8 curcuit sPOD with HD panel is now on my list for consideration. This is like a monster that keeps growing. LOL!

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Installed the Phantom today with help from my buddy. I love it! I will post some pics (once I figure out photobucket) and add a little write up on some of the experience. Very pleased with my purchase! :rocker: Shrockworks washer reservoir arrives tomorrow and I will be ordering the sPOD in about 2 weeks...

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are some pics from the bumper install. Install was pretty straightforward. Pics show some cutting of the fender guards as well as drilling out part of the bumper mount holes. The build quality of the bumper is fantastic.

Oddly enough, the biggest struggle came from mounting the LED bar. The bracket mounting bolts were too big for the bumper fitting slots and the bar is such a tight fit that the allen attachment screws could barely be accessed by reaching through the back of the bumper. In it's lowest mount position, the one that looks best, the bars aim can't even be adjusted as the rearmost portion of the bar hits the bumper wall. I may have a buddy fabricate me some new brackets that move the bar slightly forward. Just need about 1/4 inch of room at best. I could move the bar to the upper mounting hole on the bracket, but it didn't look nearly as nice raised up.

I'm so pleased with this purchase and the excellent customer service I received from MT. All I need to do is get the LED mounting issue sorted and it's perfect. Shrockworks reservoir is now on the workbench and the SPOD will be June's project.

Regards,

Desmo

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Made some progress today on completing the overall install. Shrockworks reservoir is operational. What a fantastic system. It was expensive, but the construction and ease of installation made it worthwhile to me. The unit ships with all the mounting hardware and very clear step by step instructions. Very pleased. :rocker:

I also had a buddy help me fabricate up some new mounting brackets for the led bar. The reduced height and slightly forward offset make the bar completely adjustable for angle now and a breeze to install in the bumper. It's far more secure than with the original brackets. The set up is now perfect as far as I'm concerned.

Next week, I order the SPOD...

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I woke up this morning and the "Made in China" OPOR led bar was full of condensation from end to end. I've washed the car once with a hose and it's been about 70-80 degrees and sunny all week since the install. Called Metal Tech and was told that condensation in a light bar is normal and not to worry about it. Said they'll replace it if it fails. I'm concerned to say the least. Hope this thing lasts...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts