Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Raptor tune??

There was no mention anywhere in this thread about ECU reprogramming, just new radiator, thermostat, transmission cooler, etc.

And then the high-pressure water-blast cleaning of the engine bay.

Is this engine running a non-stock tune?

I have ran it both ways with similar results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Replaced all 4 o2 sensors. After 2 tanks of gas I am still seeing similar results on the sensors and in the mpg department. I’m starting to think there is a fuel leak somewhere and I’m just not seeing it

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Or a new teen-age driver in the neighborhood who is siphoning out a gallon of gas or two every few days?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Or a new teen-age driver in the neighborhood who is siphoning out a gallon of gas or two every few days?

I got too many cameras outside for that to happen without me knowing.

·
Desert Moderator
5,648 Posts
I have ran it both ways with similar results.

Did you make sure you flashed it back to stock and didn't accidentally flash the tune on top of itself?
Maybe do a double return to stock tune. Just in case.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Anyone got any ideas?
Could it be something unrelated to the work you did but coincidental or out of your control but happened at the same time?

For example could a brake caliper have started to drag at about the same time? That can be worth 4-5mpg right there. Do you have a wheel warmer than the others after driving?

Here, the weather fairly suddenly got a lot colder recently. My cold tire pressures on the FJ all dropped by 4 psi. I had to pump them all up a little. Slightly low tires use a bit more gas too. Lower ambient temperatures tend to make gas mileage worse for several reasons including more time driving with the engine not fully warm and using cabin heat during that time so more miles running rich. Short trips suffer most.

Did the area where you live just switch over to winter blend gasoline from summer gas? That costs mileage too.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Could it be something unrelated to the work you did but coincidental or out of your control but happened at the same time?

For example could a brake caliper have started to drag at about the same time? That can be worth 4-5mpg right there. Do you have a wheel warmer than the others after driving?

Here, the weather fairly suddenly got a lot colder recently. My cold tire pressures on the FJ all dropped by 4 psi. I had to pump them all up a little. Slightly low tires use a bit more gas too. Lower ambient temperatures tend to make gas mileage worse for several reasons including more time driving with the engine not fully warm and using cabin heat during that time so more miles running rich. Short trips suffer most.

Did the area where you live just switch over to winter blend gasoline from summer gas? That costs mileage too.

It could be unrelatedly I guess. I think it must be a leak somewhere. I have visually checked the fuel rails, injectors, etc. I still think I smell fuel at times towards the rear, inspected the fuel cap but it appears ok.

Guess my next step is to put some UV dye in the gas and look for a small leak.

Don’t appear to have any calipers dragging, about to do a front break upgrade and replace rear pads so I can further look into that possible cause.

Tire pressure is good.

I hope they haven’t changed the mix yet, heck it’s been in the 90’s all week.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts