Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so it's time to get some armor for the FJ's soft underbelly. I don't want to add a bunch of weight and I'm going to buy one piece at a time. The Ricochets are cheaper to buy individually, but the Buds are steel. Decisions, decisions... Anybody want to chime in and help me spend my money?

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
I like aluminum over steel

1. it doesn't rust
2. lighter
3. can be bent with a bar on the trail if needed
4. less expensive
5. I like spending other peoples money

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Ricochets wont rust away. Are you going to beat the ever living sh!t out of your underside on rocks? If so, I would say bud's. If you're doing mild the moderate offroading, ricochets would be who'd I'd recommend.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ricochets wont rust away. Are you going to beat the ever living sh!t out of your underside on rocks? If so, I would say bud's. If you're doing mild the moderate offroading, ricochets would be who'd I'd recommend.
Mild to moderate offroading. I was leaning towards the Ricochets as it was. Just wanted to see what people's opinions were. Probably will order the Ricochet front skid later today or tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,491 Posts
Ricochet.

Tastes great, less filling.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
Budbuilt, his product is awesome and a super nice/cool dude.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
What kind of driving/trails do you do? If you are a bit reckless or are looking to get into some more difficult stuff I'd suggest the Bud Regulars ( not light ). I have bent mine up and I would consider myself a pretty careful driver and do moderate trails. The weight is there but it's in a good place since it's down low.

I've seen both out on the trail ( not the light version of Buds ) and would say the Ricochet's bend easier.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I'm about to graduate from Ricochet to Bud lite's....I high centered myself on a huge rock the other day....FJ resting on Ricochet transfter case skid lol...totally bent the hell out of it. I was also wheelin with two jeeps with 35" tires and had to represent :p...for most of my uses, they've been perfect. Very affordable and light weight for the 99% of the driving you do ON the road:)

·
Premium Member
6,612 Posts
Ricochet has a sale going on for those that are looking to them.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Ricochet, his product is awesome and a super nice/cool dude. Touche.

And Brad is very active on the forum and always developing new things.
+1 Take that bud! :fight::wave:

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I went the ricochet route... Along with another member. 2 wheeling trips and they are beat almost beyond recognition. My buddy removed his to get some work done and cannot get them back on. Holes won't align. All of my panels are bent in and the fuel tank skid is bent almost below the rear axle. I'll use a jack to try to bend it back up this weekend.
But we did some rocky, TOUGH terrain.

That being said, ricochet is great for regular driving to medium off roading.
Steel is needed for the hard wheeling IMO.

I just love aluminum and low weight:)
I hope one day a heavy duty kit will become available.
I LOVE my ricoctet's!

·
Premium Member
3,211 Posts
I've seen on other threads that the factory skid is required for ricochet? I don't have the factory skid and have been bouncing back and forth between ricochet and steel. I don't plan on making my rig a rock crawler in the foreseeable future, so I'm sure the light weight aluminum would be a better fit.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just ordered the front bash plate for aftermarket bumpers (plan on getting a Lucrum winch mount in the not too distant future).

1 - 20 of 44 Posts