Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
4-Corners Moderator
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
September 2017 Rig of the Month: BJ’sFJ

We'd like to congratulate BJ’sFJ - Bailey for having the September 2017 Rig of the Month.

BEFORE:
December 2014

AFTER:

Hayden: Tell us a bit about yourself (age, family, school/job, hobbies, where are you from, how long you’ve lived where, etc.)[Really whatever you’d like to share, like what you would tell someone if you were meeting them for the first time]?

Bailey: First, I wanted to say Thank You for the awesome opportunity. When I joined the forum back in 2010 I never would have guessed I’d be getting my FJ featured. Here we are 7 years later and I’m on my second FJ. My name is Bailey and I live in San Marcos, CA. I’m in my 20s and attend school part time while working full time at Baja Designs in Marketing and now Dealer & Forum Sales. When I’m not working or lurking the forums I like to head out wheeling or camping in the desert or Sierra Nevada Mountains.

Hayden: What is the story of how you got your FJ Cruiser?

Bailey: I’ll tell the story about my first FJ; It all started when I was just a little younger when my dad took home a brand NEW 2007 FJ Cruiser in early 2006. I thought it was the coolest thing in the world (still do). Over the next 8 years we put over 160,000 miles visiting national parks, FJ Summit, snowboard trips, and much more. I was fortunate enough to have the FJ as my DD/weekend toy for 3 years before it was totaled. Fast forward 6 months to December 2014 and I was back in an FJ!

Hayden: Is the FJ Cruiser your first off-road vehicle? If not what was you’re the first vehicle you took wheeling?

Bailey: Yep! First off-road vehicle.

Mod List:

Lighting :
Baja Designs XL80, Driving/Combo, Pair
Baja Designs Squadron-R Pro, Amber Wide Cornering, Pair
Baja Designs S2 Pro, Wide Cornering, Pair
Baja Designs S2 Pro, Amber Flood/Work, Pair

Baja Designs Rock Lights as Dome Light Replacement

Armor :
Demello Off-Road Aluminum 3-Hoop Front Bumper
SRD Rock Sliders Welded On
Demello Off-Road Swingout Rear Bumper

Front Suspension :
Total Chaos UCA's
Total Chaos Race Series LCA's
Fox 2.5 w/ Resi Coilovers + 700lb springs
Limit Straps

Rear Suspension :
Toytec Superflex 2.0 HD Rear Springs
Fox 2.5 Single Tube Bypass W/DSC
Total Chaos Fabrication Chromoly Link Kit
Limit Straps

Overland / Expedition Gear :
BajaRack Utility Rack
ARB 50L Fridge
TemboTusk Fridge Slide
TemboTusk Skottle Kit
FrontRunner Expander Chair
Table in a Bag
Scepter 5 Gallon Water Can w/ JAGMTE pressurized cap kit
Custom Fridge Cage
Tuffy Security Console
Goose Gear Floor Plate & Drawer System

Wheels / Tires :
285/75/17 33.8" Nitto Terra Grappler G2
4- 1.25" Wheel Spacers
Rotiform SIX-OR 17x9

Battery/Electrical :
sPod Power Source
OTRATTW Switches
Sears Die Hard 31M
IPAD w/ RAM mount and Gaia GPS
Pelfreybilt Off-Road 31 Battery Cage
ICOM IC-2730A w/ Extended Frequencies

Hayden: What modification has been your favorite or has been the most worth the money/time/effort that you’d recommend it to someone else?

Bailey: Hmmmmm. That is a tough one. I’m happy with the money I’ve put into the FJ and not ONE modification really shines above the rest. I would strongly encourage looking into Total Chaos Fabrication for suspension components. I can’t tell you how many times I would have bent a spindle or worse but with their quality components and weld-on spindle gussets I’ve been able to go through anything without thinking twice. Having experienced a few different companies in the past I wouldn’t go anywhere else.

Hayden: What upgrade has been your least favorite, or what modification would you do differently if you had to do it over again?

Bailey: Over the last 2.5 years+ I’ve gone through some trial and error with the FJ. The ONLY thing I’m seriously considering changing is my spod. I’d like to upgrade it to a Switch.Pros down the road when more backlight colors are available.

Hayden: What future modifications do you have planned for your FJC?

Bailey: I’m very happy with how the FJ sits right now. I want to add a set of aluminum skids down the road and keep the focus on vehicle reliability and longevity mods. The FJ has been running strong for 11+ years and I’d like to keep it that way for many years to come.

Hayden: Where all have you been with your FJC? What trail/park/location is your favorite?

Bailey: 5 States. California, Nevada, Colorado, Arizona, and Utah. My favorite place to explore in California is the Sierra Nevada Mountain range. On the western and eastern slope there are so many different places to explore. If Ouray, CO was closer I’d be heading there every month. Thankfully the Sierras are somewhat close (5-6hours).

Hayden: What trail/park/location that you have not been to yet would you like take your FJ to?

Bailey: There are so many places I’d love to see. Oregon and Washington are up there on my list. The PNW is very beautiful and I plan on making it up there in the near future.

Hayden: Has anyone on the forum inspired your build or been a go to resource for you?

Bailey: There hasn’t been one build in particular that I get my motivation from. The First FJ was the largest learning experience for me and when the second one came along I had an idea of where I was going with the build. Lots of late night lurking on the forums helped!

Hayden: What has been the most memorable experience with your FJ Cruiser?

Bailey: Over the last 2.5+ years and 25+ trips I’ve had some unforgettable experiences. FJ Summit has always been one of my favorite trips. You can’t go wrong with spending a week in CO with like-minded enthusiasts. The trails and scenery are completely breathtaking and can’t be beat.

Hayden: Any additional thoughts about your FJ or FJ Cruisers in general you’d like to share?

Bailey: Nope! Thank You again for the opportunity to be Rig of the Month. Hope to see you all on the trails! Keep an eye out for my next adventure on Instagram (@BDBJOHNSTON)

·
4-Corners Moderator
5,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Congrats Bailey! Make sure to contact IndyFJCruisers to get hooked up with your grille badge!

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
Way to go Bailey. I`ve been following your trip write ups for years and I think they would be hard to beat :)

Reactions: FJX2000

·
Registered
345 Posts
Congrats Bailey! Had a blast with you on the Imogene night run at this years Summit. I do miss the Sierras dearly, but your photos always help ease the pain! Cheers!

·
MOAB SUPERSTAR
6,577 Posts
Bailey you so deserve this - your rig is perfection! And so is your photography....both inspire me. Huge congrats! :rocker:

·
Registered
470 Posts
Bailey you so deserve this - your rig is perfection! And so is your photography....both inspire me. Huge congrats! :rocker:

Thanks Deb!

Always a great time on the trails with you. Can't wait to hit the trails again!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Congrats Bailey! Had a blast with you on the Imogene night run at this years Summit. I do miss the Sierras dearly, but your photos always help ease the pain! Cheers!

Thanks! Imogene was great. Was a first for me to be coming down in the middle of a storm at night.

I'm itching to get out of CA, I'll trade you some socal living for a bit! ;)

·
Registered
470 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts