·
4-Corners Moderator
4,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
September 2018 Rig of the Month: Karabaras

BEFORE:

2008 Trail Teams Special Edition FJ Cruiser

AFTER:

After a custom paint job, a blue 08 TTSE.

We'd like to congratulate Karabaras - Dmitrii for having the September 2018 Rig of the Month!

Hayden: Tell us a bit about yourself (Family/pets, work/school, hobbies/interests, location, etc.)

Dimitrii:
Im from Russia, Krasnodar. I have wonderful family, two kids and we love traveling in our FJ Cruiser. I work for an IT Company, and love to spend weekends and holidays active, from dirt biking, kitesurfing, windsurfing, skiing, snowboarding and more. On vacations, we like to travel in the FJ, and our last trip was to Mongolia.

Hayden: How did you come to own your FJ Cruiser?

Dimitrii:
Just like many others — first time I saw it was in a magazine — realized that is my car. First real world test was in Bolivia and I loved it. Than it just happened. In 2009 the dream came true.

Hayden: Is the FJ Cruiser your first off-road vehicle? If not, what was the first vehicle you took wheeling?

Dimitrii:
First offroad car is a RAV4 first gen from Japan. Great car, then it was the Highlander.

Mod List:

ARMOR:
Ricochet aluminum kit, Demello rally bumper

SUSPENSION/WHEELS/TIRES:
Total chaos 2 Lt kit, kingshocks, fox air bumpstops, allpro rear arms. TRD BBK brakes. Rays Volk te37x wheels. Wrangler MT/R tires

ENGINE PERFORMANCE:
TRD Supercharger 2.7 pulley. LPG fuel system, Deatschwerks fuel pump, Volant intake, URD Equal lenth headers, custom exhaust. Dyno ECU mapping.

LIGHTING/ELECTRONICS:
Bajadesings roof arch 40, rigidindustries bumper 30 light, spot lights

EXTERIOR MODIFICATIONS:
Custom paint job, custom fenders, bajarack, RK Sport carbonfiber hood

INTERIOR MODIFICATIONS:
four recaro sportster seats, alcantara black roof, Custom sound system

RECOVERY MODIFICATIONS:
Comeup winch

Hayden: Any modifications unique to only your FJ Cruiser?

Dimitrii:
Custom paint and fenders, four Recaro seats, and TE37x wheels.

Hayden: What modification has been your favorite or has been the most worth the money/time/effort that you’d recommend it to someone else?

Dimitrii:
TRD Supercharger and long travel suspension!

Hayden: What upgrade has been your least favorite, or what modification would you do differently if you could to do it over again?

Dimitrii:
Uniballs in suspension. Never would do it again.

Hayden: What future modifications do you have planned for your FJC?

Dimitrii:
Mod the suspension arms to deal with the uniballs. And go for a bigger tranny cooler.

Hayden: Where all have you been with your FJ Cruiser? What trail/park/location is your favorite?

Dimitrii:
Armenia, Georgia, Ukraine, Mongolia, across the giant Russia from coast to coast. North and far East. But Mongolia is the best!

Hayden: What park/location have you not been to yet that you would like to take your FJ to?

Dimitrii:
Around black sea in the winter and an Asia trip in the summer.

Hayden: Has anyone on the forum inspired your build or been a go to resource for you?

Dimitrii:
Not many. I have my own vision.

Hayden: Is there a local off-roading/FJ Cruiser community in your area and if so do they get together for trail runs, wrenching days, or meet and greets?

Dimitrii:
Yes. We meet and travel each year. Not many FJs in Russia though.

Hayden: What has been the most memorable experience with your FJ Cruiser?

Dimitrii:
Open places with no roads. Mountains and snow, seas and deserts with my family. All are priceless to me.

Hayden: Any additional thoughts about your FJ or FJ Cruisers in general that you’d like to share?

Dimitrii:
It's just my second skin.

·
Mean Time Moderator
5,510 Posts
Thank you Dimitrii for sharing your build and for always sharing your adventures and stunning photo's. A well deserved "rig of the month". You may not have been inspired by anyone else but you are an inspiration with your build for us all.

·
Premium Member
12,310 Posts
Congratulations!

Super charger pic is awesome!

The shots from the front remind me of a Bulldog.

·
I Have a V-8!! Moderator
30,881 Posts
Congratulations! Love your photos!

·
Premium Member
3,118 Posts
Congratulations, well done!

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Dimitri -

Very clean rig, and spectacular photos.

A few questions for you:
1. How easy is it to obtain US-sourced accessories from suppliers like King, Ricochet, Baja Designs, Total Chaos, etc?
2. You mentioned that future mods would include a larger transmission cooler. Do you have an auxiliary cooler installed now, and why do you think it’s inadequate?
3. What model Recaros did you install? Any photos available?
4. How many miles/kilometers currently on the odometer?
5. Have you ever ended up stranded because of vehicle failure?

I had the pleasure of visiting the Stavropol area a few years back, and experienced a wide variety of road conditions. Having travelled the length and width of Russia, your FJ must have seen almost every type of road and trail on the planet.

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Love the FJ and TE37x. There's a dream among the import car scene when I was younger and we always believed you had to own TE37 once in your life. Glad to see the dream is still alive and going. Congrats and my favorite pic of the bunch was you and your kid by the cliff with the tree fog. Looks amazing!

·
Admin
7,230 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Dimitri -

Very clean rig, and spectacular photos.

A few questions for you:
1. How easy is it to obtain US-sourced accessories from suppliers like King, Ricochet, Baja Designs, Total Chaos, etc?
2. You mentioned that future mods would include a larger transmission cooler. Do you have an auxiliary cooler installed now, and why do you think it’s inadequate?
3. What model Recaros did you install? Any photos available?
4. How many miles/kilometers currently on the odometer?
5. Have you ever ended up stranded because of vehicle failure?

I had the pleasure of visiting the Stavropol area a few years back, and experienced a wide variety of road conditions. Having travelled the length and width of Russia, your FJ must have seen almost every type of road and trail on the planet.
1. Its not that hard. We have 1K$/month limit, and customs don't investigate anything, so nothing special.
2. I had hayden cooler, than i've brokered it and install like this Cheking temp by Scangauge. Very bad cooling.
3. Recaro sportster CS
IMG_2666.jpg
4. 145000 miles
5. I have broke transmission twice —*and far away from home both times. Scangauge help me erasing codes and go home)

Reactions: Winterpeg

·
Registered
345 Posts
Congrats! I'm slightly envious of your supercharger, but really dig the look of the hood and your choice of wheels... especially in the snow!

·
Premium Member
16,617 Posts
Congrats! Thanks for sharing pics and story.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts