Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to get my 2007 FJ aligned yesterday and was told that the passenger side wheel cannot be aligned, it is -1.0 degree off. The shop told me that the knuckle was bent. (I think I remember the rock that did it) :mecry:

Anyway, before I get that fixed, I wanted to make sure that was the problem. I did some research here and it looks like that at times, if the wheel is hit just right, the spindle can bend and cause this problem. Any other thoughts?

The shop I take it to is good, but I don't want to fix something and not have it work. And, I am relatively handy and have tools, perhaps it is something I can replace myself?

Anyway, are there some things I can check to determine the real cause and then get it fixed/fix it myself?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, so after a little more research, it does look like I should replace the knuckle, which apparently also is the spindle.

So the question is, "is this a job I can do myself, or pay my mechanic around $300 for labor to do?"

Are there any write-ups on how to replace the knuckle?

Thanks!

·
Registered
272 Posts
OK, so after a little more research, it does look like I should replace the knuckle, which apparently also is the spindle.

So the question is, "is this a job I can do myself, or pay my mechanic around $300 for labor to do?"

Are there any write-ups on how to replace the knuckle?

Thanks!
Its not horribly hard if you are reasonably mechanically inclined. You will need a 35mm socket to remove the axle nut and the dust caps that cover the axle nut generally get damaged during removal and have to be replaced. the basics are that you remove the dust cap, remove the cotter pin, remove the axle nut, disconnect the upper ball joint, then the two bolts on the bottom, There are four bolts that hold the bearing assembly into the spindle and i think one that holds the abs sensor. just unbolt the bearing assembly and bolt it back to the new one. same with the abs sensor... reinstall.. :bigthumb:

Also, ask around the forum for a replacement. They are quite pricey from the dealer, but anyone who has installed a 6" lift will have replaced their stockers and im sure you can find someone willing to part with a stock one.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hello everyone,
I just bent the crap out of my driver side spindle at teh Fall Crawl up in New Hampshire. Does anyone have one floating around out there?? I need one asap to get my FJ back on the road.
Let me know before I go out and buy one at the stealer.
Thanks in advance!
Dave, aka; FLH91

1 - 5 of 5 Posts