Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that I have read some posts as to the strength of the FJC's rear. 8 inches really isn't that big or strong. Especially with the power that our engines put out. What I am curious about is can the 9.5 third from an older LC be fitted to our axle? It would definitely add some beef to the rear of the FJ. Has anyone done this? Not something that I am going to do anytime soon. Like I said just curious. It may be a way of eliminating the R&P problems that some have suffered. Thanks!

Zane

·
Premium Member
4,828 Posts
Anything can be done if you have enough $$$. Check on sbechtold's build up, I think that is what he dropped into his rig.

From what I know, the great proportion of the rear R&P issues have been on "early build" FJC's. It has been the fact that the R&P gears were outsourced to a vendor who did a really bad job on them. If you have a newer build, it really shouldn't be an issue as long as you are judicial in the use of the skinny pedal when rear is locked...

·
Registered
269 Posts
I agree with Mtbcoach that the issues were "earlier models" with incorrect manufacturing. If power were a big issue, I don't think that the Toyota engineers would have put the 8" behind a 4.7L v8 on a 2000-2006 Tundra which is heavier and has more torque than the FJC.

·
Registered
371 Posts
If you truly are worried about the strength of the ring&pinion. Just buy All-Pro's drop-in Dana60, 9.75 in. ring gear and 35 spline axle shafts, plus an adjustable panhard mount.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I looked at the other thread. It does not appear that the third from an LC will fit into our axle. Too bad as it could have been an inexpensive mod for the rear. Unlike buying a Dana 60. I realize that the current issues with the R&P had to do with how they where treated. Still, 8 inches is kind of small for our power. The 8.4 which the Tundra got would have been better, but they never got the factory locker. Oh well! Thanks for the info guys!

Zane

·
Registered
688 Posts
Glad to see there is another Zane on this forum... I'm living in Aspen for the summer - maybe we could get up and you could show me some wheelin' spots around here. I've already been to moab twice

·
Premium Member
1,762 Posts
All pro offroad sells a "bolt on" 9.75 in. rear.

rear end

Buddy if you got the money, this will make it easier to get what you want. Hell if I got the money I'd get this too!:) Too bad I gotta use my paycheck to fix my place.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't have the money so.... Anyway, it is a sweet setup. To the other Zane go to the South West forum. The Colorado FJ's usually have a thread up for a wheeling trip. Some trails are a little harder than others. Just depends on where they are going. I'm not always able to make them. Yeah, if I get some free time we can go wheeling. Most of the areas that I hang in are located in the central region of the state. Not too far from where you are. I'll keep in touch.

Zane

·
Registered
962 Posts
I know that I have read some posts as to the strength of the FJC's rear. 8 inches really isn't that big or strong. Especially with the power that our engines put out. What I am curious about is can the 9.5 third from an older LC be fitted to our axle? It would definitely add some beef to the rear of the FJ. Has anyone done this? Not something that I am going to do anytime soon. Like I said just curious. It may be a way of eliminating the R&P problems that some have suffered. Thanks!

Zane
Like others have said, the problem had to do with earlier production runs that used a bad parts vendor and not with the size of the ring gear.

The older mini-trucks have 8" ring gears and they don't seem to have any trouble. I know plenty of guys that use them with a doubler, 5.29's (some with 5.71's), and 37" tires and they rarely (if ever) break their gears. I can tell you that they're putting much more stress on that 8" third member than we are our FJC with stock gearing and 32-33" tires.

But you're right, it would have been nice to have the extra beef!

·
Banned
3,591 Posts
Hey Zane....I broke a couple of the older gear sets...they were definitly bad.....my 08 gets run alot harder and I've not had a single problem yet.....the old gears weren't hardened correctly and were prone to loose a few teeth.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts