Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new Blitz metal fuel can and noticed the inside was sprayed with red paint, some type of oil coating, and a couple of metal shavings in the bottom.

Just rinse it out with gas you think?

My last one got moisture in it and rusted. I was was thinking of getting some of that liquid fuel tank liner to put in this new can, does anyone have any experiences or suggestions?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
6,534 Posts
Shake it hard and try to blow it out with compressed air. If you rinse with gasoline you have to do something with that gas, a pain. You could try rinsing with a little water and then leaving the can in the sun for a few hours, it will dry out good from the heat.

DEWFPO

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Just use a little bit of gas to rinse it out then dump the gas some where SAFE, like in a fire or something...:jester:

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
When dumping the gas in a safe place. It is always a "Great" Idea to dump it on the biggest POS house in the neighborhood. Better yet use the pour spout and spell some words on the grass to burn the words into the lawn. Better to do it in the dead of night. Cool air will help keep the gas from drying too soon.:rofl:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok these are all really great ideas, NOT! ;-)

Actually I think I may have come up with a solution, I'll rinse it out with gas and reuse the gas in my old lawnmower which will burn damn near anything. I have a funnel with a screen in it to filter out the metal shavings.

Thanks for the responses,

·
Registered
408 Posts
I remember doin this to new fuel cans while in the military....pour some fuel in the can and swash it around to clean it...then just dump it in the sink! or in some Navy guy's car...then leave it in the sun with the lid open...the red coating in side will become hard and it will last forever....if it dont then just buy some new one!:thinkerg:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.