Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

If a higher mile 2007, 126K miles, does not exhibit any fender bulging or cracking, is it safe to assume that it would have happened already? Or, is there still a risk it can start?

Sorry if this has been covered. I did not see this particular scenario.

Thanks!

·
Admin
7,434 Posts
I would assume if it was going to happen it would have already.... but, who knows... lol.

Either way I wouldn't let it be the deciding factor in the purchase.

Reactions: FJCRUZA

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
It could happen any time but I assume not so much from road driving. Mine actually happened after 180k miles. I was taking too many washboards with a full load and 2 other passengers and bottomed out on the wheel wheel arch and big tires. It would take some work to crack them. Larger tires, high offset wheels and the right bump.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello. Well, with such a mileage, everything is possible. What's the situation? Are you going to buy a car? Or have you already bought it? If you are going to buy I can recommend a cool thing V I R on autoxloo. You can look through it, my friends say's that this site gives reliable information about the car and its condition. Good luck. I hope it helps you.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If it really concerns you look for a 2010 or newer. They started reinforcing them around 07/08 but they did several iterations between then and 2010. The 2010 also has a stronger rear end and the newer engine design with Variable Valve Timing in the top end. I bought a 2008 pre-reinforcement and have not had any trouble yet...

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
actually, they just made one modification for the inner fender tear item, it implemented in April of 2008

·
Registered
31 Posts
I did some more research and only see these double and triple layer versions. There are references to 3rd generation fenders. Maybe this is referring to the change occurring in the 3rd year FJ fenders. My FJ was manufactured in 06/2008 with VIN 50705 and does not have the triple layer reinforcement.

Found this...
Build date 07/2008 VIN 52034 has new "boxed" design inner fenders
And this...
For all who have waited for an inner fender fix, I have great news! As some of you know, Bernd was the first to report the “Engine bay body rips”. Many, including myself have had the inner fender aprons replaced only to have them “rip” again. Others have been waiting for a “permanent fix”. I can tell you with certainty that a fix has been instituted on my new 2008 (build date 7/2008) FJ. See photos below. For those wanting to know if they have the new design do the following. Remove the plastic cover under the hood and on top of the fender. Compare to the photos below. If you have three layers of metal where indicated, you have the new design! 👏:cheers:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey all, thanks for the info and recommendations. It turns out the 2007 wasn't an option. However, you have provided a lot for me to consider.

·
Premium Member
2,361 Posts
FYI, here are phots of the "before" and the "after (it is necessary to remove the plastic cover near the hood hinge to see this):
Oldfender.jpg
Newfender.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts