1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
ive never done the install myself for the airdam, but working in aviation, i have installed thousands of riv-nuts. that tool will work for your application assuming the thread size is correct. if not you could still use it and replace the hardware with the correct thread size for the riv-nuts that come with the installation kit.

if you have a harbor freight near, you can get the kit there. might be cheaper (and save shipping)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you very much!!!

·
Registered
464 Posts
my airdam did not come with the rivnuts or the tools to install my dam and lights, i was wondering if this tool would work? does this kit contain all i need in order to install the dam? im pretty much lost here

Hand Nuts Riveter Rivnut Thread Insert Nutserts kit - eBay (item 290520555366 end time Jan-14-11 19:37:21 PST)
The tool is OK but (you knew there was a but) for the air-dam you'll have to use the 1/4"-20 size nuts. That's pretty close to what the metric hardware was. The issue is how close a match are the dimensions of the 1/4"-20 rivnut to the hole in the roof rack? The web link you provided does not give that info but here is a link (McMaster-Carr) for one that is probably similar to what's in the kit. 3 key measurements: 1, overall diameter of the head of the rivnut (has to be bigger than hole in roof rack) 2, Diameter of body of rivnut (has to be a close fit to hole in roof rack to cinch up properly) 3, grip range (roof rack is tubing is pretty thin and the rivnut has to be in the right thickness range to work). The factory rivnuts were hex shaped to match the holes in the roof rack but this is not required (it helps to keep the rivnut from spinning in the hole when you put the bolt in)
You don't have to use the rivnut tool. You can install rivnuts with a bolt, a couple of nuts and washers using 2 wrenches. There are threads on this board with pictures showing how to do this. My suggestion is to look thru the McMaster site and find a rivnut that is a good fit for the existing holes and buy a package and unless you're a tool junkie like me use the bolt method to install them. Use aluminum rivnuts or you'll have corrosion issues.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
ive never done the install myself for the airdam, but working in aviation, i have installed thousands of riv-nuts. that tool will work for your application assuming the thread size is correct. if not you could still use it and replace the hardware with the correct thread size for the riv-nuts that come with the installation kit.

if you have a harbor freight near, you can get the kit there. might be cheaper (and save shipping)
x2 on harbor freight. saw a rivnut kit there the other day and much cheaper.

·
Registered
2008 FJ Cruiser 6MT Sunfusion
244 Posts
The tool is OK but (you knew there was a but) for the air-dam you'll have to use the 1/4"-20 size nuts. That's pretty close to what the metric hardware was. The issue is how close a match are the dimensions of the 1/4"-20 rivnut to the hole in the roof rack? The web link you provided does not give that info but here is a link (McMaster-Carr) for one that is probably similar to what's in the kit. 3 key measurements: 1, overall diameter of the head of the rivnut (has to be bigger than hole in roof rack) 2, Diameter of body of rivnut (has to be a close fit to hole in roof rack to cinch up properly) 3, grip range (roof rack is tubing is pretty thin and the rivnut has to be in the right thickness range to work). The factory rivnuts were hex shaped to match the holes in the roof rack but this is not required (it helps to keep the rivnut from spinning in the hole when you put the bolt in)
You don't have to use the rivnut tool. You can install rivnuts with a bolt, a couple of nuts and washers using 2 wrenches. There are threads on this board with pictures showing how to do this. My suggestion is to look thru the McMaster site and find a rivnut that is a good fit for the existing holes and buy a package and unless you're a tool junkie like me use the bolt method to install them. Use aluminum rivnuts or you'll have corrosion issues.
The factory nuts supplied with the air dam are steel and hex shaped for a reason. I would use anti-seize compound with the steel hex shaped nuts if you ever want to take it apart again. I would be afraid of the round aluminum nuts spinning when you tried to remove the bolts some day.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
2008 FJ Cruiser 6MT Sunfusion
244 Posts
3-in-1 Riveter Kit

would this work better?
This is basically the same as the other tool you posted the link to earlier. That is a Chinese copy of a Marson or Arrow light duty hand rivet tool. It is designed to install mainly aluminum or smaller sized steel nuts. Here is another suggestion... Try to get the correct steel nuts from Toyota or another source and then go see a body shop that does mainly import body repairs and see if they will install them for you. These captive nuts are all over modern cars and a body shop will have the pro grade tool and hopefully the correct mandrel to install them. Also try a place that installs all kind of aftermarket truck accessories such as mirrors, campers, beadliners etc. It is likely they will have the tool as well.

Bibb in San Antonio

·
Registered
80 Posts
The factory roof rack uses hex rivet nuts, not your ordinary rivet nuts. PM me if you’ll like free nuts, I have 100 of these left over from my last install.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi:

Do you still have some hex rivet nut for fj cruiser, I will be happy to pay shipping for 4 of them.

I bought the harhor freight kit but uncomfortable to install it. But that will be my alternative.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts