Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finish Quaility:

In November I bought a Road Armor Titan bumper. Installed it mid December when i found time. Within 3 weeks of it being on it started to rust on the front.. I checked their warranty and it was only 90 days on the finish. I'm a little disappointed in the quality. One day i'll get it line-xed

Build Quality:

This past weekend i was with my off-road group and we were in some heavy mud, almost muskeg. the bumper is made for 7/8" shackles on the front which i have. I tried tugging out a blazer that was quite deep with my Erikson 3"x30' strap on the drivers side shackle. Leaving about 5-8 feet for a snap to try to get him out, i bent the bumper mounts. It pulled out 2 inches from the driver side and down 1 inch. Now i have to take it off, fix it, and will be putting 1/4" steel on both sides of the mount for proper strength. I have yet to contact road armor because they'll only, if anything, send a replacement...still not strong enough. Thank goodness i found this out before I put a 9000lbs winch on, that would make things even worse.

Just a little FYI for anyone to know.
Yes its an awesome looking bumper,
yes it will drop your front end about1-1.5 inches with factory shocks/springs, yes it is a great off-raod bumper,
no it cannot take extreme conditions without modification,
no the finish is not great if you live anywhere where they salt the roads.
yes, all your friends will be envious, even when you do bend it, because it still looks better than theirs.....I wonder how the ARB would have stood up?

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Won't comment on the finish, sounds like you're on point with that.

As far as the recovery, do you have pictures of where the bumper mount bent? Were the nuts bolted all the way down and torqued to spec? When doing any type of recovery I always try to use D-shackles connected to the stock tow hooks welded to the frame.

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
Actually, the ARB couldn't have held up fine because there are no attachment point on the bumper and adding the voids the warranty. I don't know why you wouldn't use the attachment point that are welded into the frame to try and pull out a big blazer as oppose to something that is bolted on.
Sorry to hear about your misfortune with the bumper. The ARB does great. The weight is an issue that i put up with because of the quality of the bumper.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I suggest you contact road armor directly. We can go round and round all day talking about it, but they created it and tested it. They may have a solution, suggestion and fix if you found a problem.
Keep us advised though, I haven't had a problem with mine yet, but I also don't have buldges yet either.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Homedad did the same thing pulling my monkey ass out of some nasty muck with his all pro. We had both known about past issues of people pulling bumpers off. Were we thinking? No. Don't feel bad and just about any bumper would have done the same thing.

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
Sorry to hear, but you need to contact them first before posting up here venting. This is very one sided at the moment. Once they have had a chance to respond and if there response is other than wat you think it should be, then by all means post up. by the way, have had no probelems with mine, I don't have the salt content thay you do too. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
8,988 Posts
Contact them as the others have said. That is always the first option. If you were manufacturing something I think you would appreciate being able to fix the situation before your name is soiled. They may appreciate the input so they can improve the product.

·
Emeritus Moderator
6,484 Posts
I would also like to state, that Road Armor has the ONLY life time Warranty on there bumpers. So, if you have a problem, they will fix it. :)

G

·
Contact them as the others have said. That is always the first option. If you were manufacturing something I think you would appreciate being able to fix the situation before your name is soiled. They may appreciate the input so they can improve the product.
Sorry to hear, but you need to contact them first before posting up here venting. This is very one sided at the moment. Once they have had a chance to respond and if there response is other than wat you think it should be, then by all means post up. by the way, have had no probelems with mine, I don't have the salt content thay you do too. Good luck.
I couldn't disagree with both of you more. If the manufacturer makes a quality product and has great customer service, then I'd like to know. Similarly, if either of those are suspect, I'd like to know that too.

IMHO, it's obvious to most that the manufacturer needs to be contacted, but that doesn't mean that the initial problem shouldn't be posted. I'm interested to see how RA will respond, so OP please include that if you do contact them.

It's not in our collective best interest to censor issues because that might hurt a manufacturer's rep. In fact, these are the very test cases that help us determine where to spend our money.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
X2.. What he said... If everything is taken care of, we'll know that as well. No secrets please. IMO.. Ron

I couldn't disagree with both of you more. If the manufacturer makes a quality product and has great customer service, then I'd like to know. Similarly, if either of those are suspect, I'd like to know that too.

IMHO, it's obvious to most that the manufacturer needs to be contacted, but that doesn't mean that the initial problem shouldn't be posted. I'm interested to see how RA will respond, so OP please include that if you do contact them.

It's not in our collective best interest to censor issues because that might hurt a manufacturer's rep. In fact, these are the very test cases that help us determine where to spend our money.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I agree with the two posters above....

I'm in the market for both front and rear bumpers. I am up in Canada and will be paying a premium price for the bumpers that I choose. So far, I've been tryin to contact Road Armor and not having much success in getting correspondence from them. Several times on this forum, emails and phone calls.

Now hearing this it makes me think that I may have to start looking else where before I get more disappointed.

Its too bad that one company hasn't managed to make the "gotta have" bumpers for the FJ.

·
Registered
517 Posts
This guy didn't exactly slam RA. Furthermore, posts like this help us (the owners who drive this website) make good decisions on equipment.

I can recall many times I wanted to upgrade and read some thread authored by a flamed FJ owner for venting and rightfully informing us about such things as the All Pro sway bar connect failures...saving my a$$ some cash and prolly a hard time. The end result of that thread is I now carry factory connects and CV boots just in case my OE connects fail, which at the time was less likely than the All pro to fail. Maybe AP has fixed it, but only cause there were a lot of pissed off FJ owners (who drive this site, not the few mods who are buddy buddy with the vendors).

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
RA took care of me when I destroyed the mounting brackets they sent me everything I needed next day air. You think by the looks of the bumper they are a big company, but its not true they are really small and bumpers are made to order. Look how this bumper did with a IED hit it.

Come on Optimus Prime didnt hurt the bumper.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
When I was looking a bumpers I looked at RA and was interested until I called them they were very short with me and the bumper did not include what i wanted (lights. winch plate).

At the same time someone on here had his RA ripped from his truck.

In the end I contacted Fab Fours, awesome folks and also found out that the owners are also Aggies. Now I have a Fab Fours.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
When I was looking a bumpers I looked at RA and was interested until I called them they were very short with me and the bumper did not include what i wanted (lights. winch plate).

At the same time someone on here had his RA ripped from his truck.

In the end I contacted Fab Fours, awesome folks and also found out that the owners are also Aggies. Now I have a Fab Fours.
That was me that had the bumper ripped off , and its been said 100x here and by every witness, It would have happened to any bumper. It was a F350 with about 20 feet of slack in the tow rope and he gunned it, that took the bumper off. The bumper failed where it should have at the brackets if it didnt I would have bent my frame, the bumper it self had zero damage.
The damage to my truck was cause of the light wires I wound up with miles of tape acting like steel cables. If anyone should have issues with RA it would be me, but Im glad I repaired the damage and kept it.
But RA did completely change the mounting brackets due to the incident. They didnt have to, but everyone got better mounting brackets.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
That was me that had the bumper ripped off , and its been said 100x here and by every witness, It would have happened to any bumper. It was a F350 with about 20 feet of slack in the tow rope and he gunned it, that took the bumper off. The bumper failed where it should have at the brackets if it didnt I would have bent my frame, the bumper it self had zero damage.
The damage to my truck was cause of the light wires I wound up with miles of tape acting like steel cables. If anyone should have issues with RA it would be me, but Im glad I repaired the damage and kept it.
But RA did completely change the mounting brackets due to the incident. They didnt have to, but everyone got better mounting brackets.
I'm glad to know what happened and that they took care of it for you. I was not overly impressed with their service when I contacted them about purchasing on of their bumpers.

·
Registered
458 Posts
go w/ metal techs. :) btw that is bad ass and new knowledge to me... that they used the bumpers in iraq and in the transformer movie. sweetttt... well, i don't have a road armor but i do like that about them and may consider them if they have future accessories i may need.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Thank you and i will keep you all posted as to what happens. And no it was not a snach strap, i know i should have been using one, i just don't own one yet.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts