Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I'm traveling down the highway to the coast for a little R&R. My 12 year old daughter is riding in the back behind me in her spot. She was getting a little tired so she decided to lay down to her right like she has done on numerous trips before, making sure to leave her seat belt on. So on we venture down the road cruisin' right along when my wife tells me to pull over. I ask what's wrong and she say's "Pull Over". So like a good hubby I obey. Seems my little one in the back had woken up cause she had rolled over somehow twice, (at least that's what I thought) and the seat belt had now locked around her waist causing her some serious discomfort. I must admit I was a little alarmed and tried to get her to twist around to free up the belt. She did manage to release the clip but that really didn't help. I needed to take care of my kid so I pulled out my trusty fixed blade and cut her free. The poor kid hugged me, crying and saying she was sorry that I had to cut her out. She even had a bruised waist line from the belt twisting!
Well we finished the trip and all is well.....my daughter had a blast boogie boarding and the wife and I took it easy on the beach. Life is still good minus one seat belt.
Anyone know how much a replacement belt will run me? I'm thinking I can do the install myself. Any pointer on taking off the back panel to get to the belt? Thanks as always......:bandit:

·
Premium Member
2,504 Posts
Glad to hear she is doing ok.

Check out the tech articles there is a thread with pictures for removing the panels.

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Never ceases to amaze me the wierd situations that occur. I mean what was the likelyhood of that ever happening period? I'm glad it all turned out alright and make sure you give her an extra hug! I'm sure someone has experienced some sort of seatbelt malfunction on here so getting help should be no problem.

·
Kajun Kim
5,488 Posts
Wow that is a scary one! Our son is now 21 but I know how protective I am of him, even now! Glad to know your daughter is OK.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad to hear she is doing ok.

Check out the tech articles there is a thread with pictures for removing the panels.
will do....
thanks everyone for the well wishes......seat belt replacement maybe some cash, taking care of my daughter, priceless! :bandit:

·
Premium Member
17,117 Posts
Glad to hear she is OK! The seat belt should be an easy replacement. Chris

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
wow when seatbelts attack glad it all worked out ok for ya.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
I'd like to know if she'd be better off with it off in that postition when in an actual colision.

·
Premium Member
3,985 Posts
First of all, glad your daughter is ok. the cost of a belt is nothing compared to a life.
Take the truck in to your service department and tell them exactly what happened. They might replace the belt for free because it did technically malfunction and you had no choice but to cut it. One thing that not too many people know about is that almost all car manufaturers warranty their seatbelts for the life of the vehicle, as in mileage and age do not matter.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
First of all, glad your daughter is ok. the cost of a belt is nothing compared to a life.
Take the truck in to your service department and tell them exactly what happened. They might replace the belt for free because it did technically malfunction and you had no choice but to cut it. One thing that not too many people know about is that almost all car manufaturers warranty their seatbelts for the life of the vehicle, as in mileage and age do not matter.
Thanks for the tip! I was not aware of any seatbelt warranty! I will take it to my dealer first thing Monday morning.
Thanks again.....:bandit:

·
Premium Member
3,985 Posts
Thanks for the tip! I was not aware of any seatbelt warranty! I will take it to my dealer first thing Monday morning.
Thanks again.....:bandit:
no problem, let us know what happens :)

·
Premium Member
2,477 Posts
Ye-Ikes!!! Glad that you had a knife to cut the belt with. I have changed seatbelts in a few cars before. It is a "Peice of Cake". I haven't looked @ the FJ's set-up but more than likely you will need to head down to Home Depot and buy a big 'Star-Wrench" to remove the bolt from the body.
Glad that you had a good vacation !

·
Registered
499 Posts
aww cute, daddy to the rescue :)

good to hear they should replace it for free, lemme know if it works, it'd be nice to get a new seat belt if some ever get a few coffee stains :D

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
no problem, let us know what happens :)
Hey MudLoving.....
so I jet up to the dealer this morning and a service rep greets me. I explain to him my situation and he tells me I will need to talk with a service mgr. So I do and the guy tells me the seat belt did it's job by locking in place! I told him that once the clip is released it was my impression that the belt should free up and not stay locked around my daughters waist. Again he says no, the belt did what it was supposed to do. I ask, is there anything you guys can do for me here. He says let me talk to the service GM. I go inside with him, explain what happend to the GM, Jimmy, who says, "well what we need to do is take care of this for you"! If the only way for you to free your daughter was to cut her out then we need to get you a new belt system!
So long story short, they ordered a new belt system and is taking care of my issue with no charge! For the record the dealer is Round Rock Toyota! There's a free plug! :bandit:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts