Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the other thread is a "regional" thread and exclusive to just a few :p , I thought I'd start a thread about where everyone's going in their FJ when they get it. Road trip this summer?

I personally have taken off a week and a half, and plan on driving through Colorado to Moab, and out to California (either to San Diego or Yosemite...still yet to be determined). Is anyone else planning a trip with their FJ this summer?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Funny you mentioned it. I was just talkin with 2 friends of mine yesterday about this. I really want to drive from south Texas to somewhere like Montana and go camping and fly fishing.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Big Bend this summer, and maybe try out some of the 4x parks and ranches in TX & NM. Then it's off to the upper peninsula of Michigan.

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jumper said:
Funny you mentioned it. I was just talkin with 2 friends of mine yesterday about this. I really want to drive from south Texas to somewhere like Montana and go camping and fly fishing.

Montana is beautiful. I kayaked on the lakes in Glacier, and it was really great. Idaho's another place though...that actually might be better for camping and fishing. Idaho's great

·
Registered
64 Posts
never thought about Idaho. I need to find a friend thats done something like this before so I know where to go.

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jumper said:
never thought about Idaho. I need to find a friend thats done something like this before so I know where to go.
my recommendations for something like that? Colorado, by far......Yellowstone maybe, Glacier in Montana (just watch out for the grizzlies!), Idaho is beautiful too.........you'd prob have a lot of fun in Colorado though...

·
Registered
258 Posts
ill be moving out to Rocky Mountain National Park this summer, may thru august,
and im driving out two weeks before i start my job, so ill have some FJ time and some extra 14er time.

·
Registered
169 Posts
MOAB and the 4 corners!

Potash road and White Rim road inside Cansyonlands are unbelievable. 3 years ago, a freind and i took my 4runner out there and saw some unbelieveable country.

c

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
watkinch said:
MOAB and the 4 corners!

Potash road and White Rim road inside Cansyonlands are unbelievable. 3 years ago, a freind and i took my 4runner out there and saw some unbelieveable country.

c
nice!! any pictures?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Bostonian1976 said:
you'd prob have a lot of fun in Colorado though...
Don't think Colorado would be considered a road trip for me :)

For the last 10 years I have spent about a week of early spring in Moab for some serious mountain biking. If I have the FJ by April, you will certainly see a blue cruiser heading west on I-70 with 4 bikes on the roof. (and for the first time in many years the combined value of the bikes on the rack won't be more than the vehicle they are sitting on)

If you do road trip to Colorado however, I can direct you some the camping/backpacking locations that you will need the cruiser to get to.

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gnzo said:
Don't think Colorado would be considered a road trip for me :)

For the last 10 years I have spent about a week of early spring in Moab for some serious mountain biking. If I have the FJ by April, you will certainly see a blue cruiser heading west on I-70 with 4 bikes on the roof. (and for the first time in many years the combined value of the bikes on the rack won't be more than the vehicle they are sitting on)

If you do road trip to Colorado however, I can direct you some the camping/backpacking locations that you will need the cruiser to get to.

nice! I may ask you about this too...Colorado is definitely in my plans. What do you ride, incidentally? Me: old Fisher Big Sur and a Lemond Zurich for the road

·
Registered
162 Posts
Bostonian1976 said:
nice! I may ask you about this too...Colorado is definitely in my plans. What do you ride, incidentally? Me: old Fisher Big Sur and a Lemond Zurich for the road
Those are nice bikes! Gary is a really nice guy. A few yeas ago I was at an event talking to Lemond when he came over and started talking to us. Greg obviously knew him and introduced us. We got to talk a bit and he told me a bit about himself and his ideas in bike design. I really dig Gary's philosophy about design, he has some really innovative ideas. However, I am a Trek boy, not because of Lance (I was racing on Treks before Lance made them the "must have bike"). I ride a fuel 100 and an OCLV for road. Let me know if you have any question about Colorado, if I can't answer them I am sure I can find a friend who can.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I'll be headed to Cheyenne the second week of May... through Utah and Colorado. We're only there to visit and I will be taking mom and dad back into Fort Collins, the mountains, probably into Elk Mountain, WY for some mad fishin' at Pass Creek. Possibly Woods Landing and some fishing at Bozwell Marshes. I miss Colorado... the bikes will definitely be going with us again. Mine's a Fisher Katai, and hers is a Tassajara GS. I've ridden since I was 9, she's just getting started. We did the Horsetooth Rock ride last year and she about died. Then when we climbed to the top of the rock - she was convinced I was just taking her up there to toss her off the back. This year, she claims she will be prepared for the adventure. Poor native Las Vegans... they live down here at sea level. For those of us from the mountains sea level means TOO MUCH OXYGEN. For them, going to the mountains is like a week long asthma attack.

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gnzo said:
Those are nice bikes! Gary is a really nice guy. A few yeas ago I was at an event talking to Lemond when he came over and started talking to us. Greg obviously knew him and introduced us. We got to talk a bit and he told me a bit about himself and his ideas in bike design. I really dig Gary's philosophy about design, he has some really innovative ideas. However, I am a Trek boy, not because of Lance (I was racing on Treks before Lance made them the "must have bike"). I ride a fuel 100 and an OCLV for road. Let me know if you have any question about Colorado, if I can't answer them I am sure I can find a friend who can.

well I kind of have 2 Treks too. Lemond is owned by Trek, and Fisher is too (though mine is pre-Trek I think). That's awesome you met Gary Fisher.....you must get to some big events. My mission this year is to get started in some serious racing. I got really banged up this past year (destroyed a Lemond Zurich and lost two teeth and severely separated a shoulder), so this winter has been all rehab in preparation for next season...

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I'm not allowed to prep for racing until the woman gets the hang of riding. I'm the fast metabolism of the family - never workout, she's the opposite. So it makes her mad when I can go a year without doing anything, spend three weeks working out and get my shape back to what I want it. She, for some unknown reason, doesn't think that's too fair.

I feel an all FJCruiserForums mountain bike ride coming on...

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Percy said:
I feel an all FJCruiserForums mountain bike ride coming on...

now THAT would be awesome. seriously. Some remote place that only our Fj's can get to :)

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Up a skidder trail on a mountain in Maine? A deer trail at the top of mountain in Colorado - Yampa River Valley area - where the glacier at the top feeds into 6 different lakes below via a 100 ft. water fall? Some slick rock crap in Moab? North Shore, BC?

You just keep me posted buddy... As long as I have enough time to plan the vacation and talk the woman into it - WE ARE THERE!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts