Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't post much, but read a bit here.

With a 4th Gen. 4Runner and a Tundra much of what I do applies and may be of interest to the FJC crowd. Lately I've been writing lots about tires/wheels, and thought my latest post(s) about the Cooper S/T MAXX might interest many of you.

Cooper S/T MAXX Preview (Traction Tire Part 2) | RoadTraveler.net

After deciding the LT275/70R18 was my perfect 33-inch tire for an 18-inch wheel, and seeing there is a nice selection of tires in this size, a tread had to be chosen. This was relatively easy as I’m familiar with most of the popular light-truck tire treads. I’m a fan of Cooper Tires and their subsidiaries, and the new S/T MAXX design was already on my to try list, offering the type of any-terrain tire I prefer—not too biased toward on or off-highway. Cooper calls this a 50/50 tire (on/off pavement) and I’d say they are very close to hitting that mark.
Thanks for looks,

James

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cooper S/T MAXX 275/70R18 Part 2

Cooper S/T MAXX LT275/70R18E Part 2 | RoadTraveler.net

And it continues...

All thirty-threes are not created equal, because they're not all exactly thirty-three inches tall. The very common 285s are typically 32.8-inches tall while the 255/85R16 is almost always over 33 inches; the Toyo M/T is 33.5-inches! Removing the Dick Cepek F-C II 17-inch 285s, slapping-on the 18-inch Cooper S/T MAXXs, and taking a few measurements showed that the taller 275/70R18 MAXXs were good for 3/16" of additional clearance under the rear differential. Nice.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the clicks from the FJC forum guys, it's nice to see I have readers from here!

RoadTraveler.net | Trucks, Motos, Travel, and Tech for more.

Today

TRD Tundra Wheels a 17 MPG Rock Warrior Solution?

Posted on March 20, 2012

Several weeks ago I posted about purchasing a set of OE 17-inch TRD wheels which included the original BF Goodrich All-Terrain 285/70R17 tires (BFG A/T tires & 17-inch Tundra wheels). However those were not the first, nor the best, set of TRD Rock Warrior wheels I have purchased. The Cooper S/T MAXX trial started last summer and has drug on for a while.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
New Stuff

I'm not posting here every time I publish new stuff on my blog, so if you want to keep up, subscribe via email on my site. I'd like to have the followers and input. :)

Today on RoadTraveler.net | Trucks, Motos, Travel, and Tech

Dick Cepek F-C II Review No. 1

This is a review about one set of Dick Cepek F-C II tires I have been tracking. Longevity is only one consideration when choosing a tread, and needs to be balanced with other criteria, but everyone always asks about wear. Some might argue that long wear is the most important characteristic, however that really depends on how you want your tires to perform. Some off-highway enthusiasts care much more about traction or noise.
Visit my site to see the rest.

Thanks,

James

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's been a while, two more new posts:

MPG, Fuel Economy, Tire Width, and Treads No. 1 | RoadTraveler.net

Will The Most Efficient Tires Please Drive Forward

It’s often stated that narrower, lighter, less aggressive tires are more efficient and will yield better fuel economy, but how much better? To properly compare apples and pears one must take care to reduce the variables that are always present during real-world tests.
Dick Cepek F-C II Review No. 1 | RoadTraveler.net

This is a review about one set of Dick Cepek F-C II tires I have been tracking. Longevity is only one consideration when choosing a tread, and needs to be balanced with other criteria, but everyone always asks about wear. Some might argue that long wear is the most important characteristic, however that really depends on how you want your tires to perform. Some off-highway enthusiasts care much more about traction or noise.
James

1 - 8 of 8 Posts