Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys my wife and I are coming on a roadtrip down to the Phoenix area from Vancouver.

I was wondering if anyone is heading out or would be willing to take a fellow Fj'r from Canada on a tour on some of the backroads in the area.

We will be in the Phoenix/Gold Canyon area...

We'll be in the area around Jan 30 to about Feb 7

Let me know if there is anyone heading out or if you guys have any suggestions for me to head out to, it would be much apppreciated!!

Thanks

Aaron

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
There are many great trails in the Gold Canyon area. Everything from dirt roads to rocky hill climbs. Check out AZFJ.org. There may be someone heading out on the days your here in AZ. This is the link to trail runs http://azfj.org/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewforum&f=11. If you don't find someone I may be able to help.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
X's 2, hit the AZFJ forum there are always a bunch of folks that need little prodding to go wheeling.
I would suggest one place considering where you're staying and that would be Montana road that goes up the south and east side of the Supes (Superstitions). Great scenery and not too brutal of a drive. Look for a small hamlet called Queen Valley north of US 60 on N. Queen Valley Rd.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys I'll check that stuff out..I start my drive saturday morning..

Aaron

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
Gold Canyon is the rally point for most groups going out to the Florence Junction area. Florence Junction is a world class 4 wheeling area with many trails. Some of them are very doable in the FJ Cruiser and many are not. There are numerous published guidebooks about 4 wheeling in AZ and most of them feature some of the extensive trail system in that region.

If you go out there by yourself, there's a high risk of getting stuck, getting into the wrong canyon or breaking down without a backup plan. It's a long hike from some of those canyons back to where you can get a cell phone signal. On the other hand, there are quite a few canyons where you can get a fine signal even in the middle of the trail. However, that won't help you if you can't tell the person you're calling where you're stuck.

If you go out to the Florence Junction region to go wheeling, make sure you do it with other vehicles. If you're not already familiar with rock crawling, and if you don't have experience with recovering stuck vehicles, then make sure the rig you run with has someone more experiened inside. It helps to run trails with people who know them, but if you at least have a guidebook, a GPS and another vehicle (or 2 or 3) along, you'll have a blast.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Gold Canyon is the rally point for most groups going out to the Florence Junction area. Florence Junction is a world class 4 wheeling area with many trails. Some of them are very doable in the FJ Cruiser and many are not. There are numerous published guidebooks about 4 wheeling in AZ and most of them feature some of the extensive trail system in that region.

If you go out there by yourself, there's a high risk of getting stuck, getting into the wrong canyon or breaking down without a backup plan. It's a long hike from some of those canyons back to where you can get a cell phone signal. On the other hand, there are quite a few canyons where you can get a fine signal even in the middle of the trail. However, that won't help you if you can't tell the person you're calling where you're stuck.

If you go out to the Florence Junction region to go wheeling, make sure you do it with other vehicles. If you're not already familiar with rock crawling, and if you don't have experience with recovering stuck vehicles, then make sure the rig you run with has someone more experiened inside. It helps to run trails with people who know them, but if you at least have a guidebook, a GPS and another vehicle (or 2 or 3) along, you'll have a blast.
Well said Doc!! How you been anyway?

·
Premium Member
3,185 Posts
3D! What's up!? I'm great... just about to start a new job this week. How's the family?

To the OP: Sorry about the hijack, but here's a cool dude who surfaces infrequently. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts