Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So this story begins back when I was in college and saw the FJ for the very first time. I was lucky enough to see one of the very first ones sold out on the street and fell in love with it right away. I can even remember pulling over and taking a picture of it. When the local dealer finally got them in stock I test drove a Lifted Voodoo Blue Manual and fell head over heals for it but it was just too much out of my price range. Don’t hate me, but I could only afford a Jeep TJ at the time so I went ahead and got a stock 2002 TJ Sahara.

It didn't take long to get the mod bug with the TJ so here are a couple photo’s of how quickly it transformed. I installed a 4.5” Rubicon Express Lift, 33” Micky Thompson MTZ’s

Added a swing out bumper with Jerry cans

Winch

New Tubular Bumper = Final Product

So here is where I finally got me senses together and saved up enough money to finally buy an FJ. I had my eye out for a 2010 Trail Teams, but randomly ended up getting a 2008 Trail Teams from a guy I went to High School. Here she is day 1 bone stock never offroaded.

Well the never offroaded part didn't last very long. Six days after I bought her I went to the 2010 AllCal event at Hollister and decided to break her in!

Just like the Jeep, it did not take very long to get the mod fever for the FJ! I very quickly learned how necessary it is to have a CB Radio for communication. I was lucky to meet Bozly the AllCal so I purchased his CB Mount. I was also lucky a buddy gave me his Midland 1001z for free!

One of the main things I loved about the 2010 TTSE was the Matt Black Hood Decal, which I learned could easly be purchased from Amaesing in SoCal!

It didn't take long for me to start getting pissed off at my antenna hitting every branch in my narrow driveway, so I made a quick trip down to Autozone and purchased the $5 Raptor Universal Rubber Mast Antenna

The stock FJammer was ok, but I wanted a nice touch screen with Navigation. After a lot of searching I found a Kenwood DNX9960 with Garmin Navi!

Next, I (like everyone else) wanted my FJ to stand out from the rest, so I did a very simply and cheep Headlight Stone Guard to change the front look a little.

After my next trip offroading to the High Sierra Run with “NorCalFJ’s” I realized i was in need of some undercarriage protection.

I purchased a used 5 piece BuidBuilt Skid set from BZ to help with that.

After a couple of long road trips, I decided to purchased a Cobra Radar Gun. This has already come in handy! :)

To complete my undercarriage protection I went back to BozTec for a Rear Diff Skid

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
After searching some forums, I found a great deal at MetalTech for some Light Racing UCA’s and an Icon Stage 1 Extended Travel Lift Kit

Before I install the lift I gave a call to Stan at TheToyOutfitters and he gave me a great deal on some rear LCA’s!

Just waiting on the LCA’s to arrive to do the install.... more pics to come!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Great Thread! I went from A 91 Yj to a 2010TT. Unfortunately my Jeep was killed in a head on collision. I was not driving, nor was it my buddy's fault. Ohh well I sure do miss it. You gave me some great ideas for future mod's 1st on my list is skids.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You should have got in on the metaltech bumper deal with me too maybe we could have worked a shipping deal with them :)

Lance

PS no word on the links yet, I will give you a call when they show up.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You should have got in on the metaltech bumper deal with me too maybe we could have worked a shipping deal with them :)

Lance

PS no word on the links yet, I will give you a call when they show up.
I would have, but I'm probably gonna get a Demello Bumper once I decide to get rid of the stock one. I got an email from Stan today saying he is waiting for a part to arrive to finish off the LCA's so hopefully they will be shipped out this coming week!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
looks great !!! how do you like the CB ? I'm thinking of buying the same one.
It does just what it needs to! Haven't had any problems with it or reception. One thing I did do is get a 4" firestik for the trails and a 2" for day to day driving. Saves a lot on not hitting every low clearance! If you decide to get one its super easy to install and I can show you how I installed mine without having to modify or cut any holes.

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
Looks sweet~

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
she's very unique... love the look :rocker:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Got bored the other day so I finally decided to paint the rear bumper facia and rear stock skid. I have no idea why Toyota decided to black out everything on the Trail Teams, but leave this piece silver.... Anywho, here are the before and after pics.

Personally I think it looks way better black!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
looks great...i'm thinking about doing it soon....did you sand it down before painting it? and what kind of paint did you use?
I didnt, but you probably should use a light sandpaper to ruff up the surface before painting. I just got a can of RustOleum Black Textured Plastic Spray paint (223717) http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=122 which is a direct to plastic paint. Just wash the parts with soap and water and let dry, then apply a couple of light coats, wait about an hour and apply a couple of more and you are good to go! Personally looking back at it, I would probably go without the textured paint as the rest of my factory blacked out parts are smooth, but it does have a great look to it! It matches the texture of the factory black plastic.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
I like everything you have done! Thanks for taking the time to post all the pics! :cheers:

·
Registered
132 Posts
I didnt, but you probably should use a light sandpaper to ruff up the surface before painting. I just got a can of RustOleum Black Textured Plastic Spray paint (223717) http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=122 which is a direct to plastic paint. Just wash the parts with soap and water and let dry, then apply a couple of light coats, wait about an hour and apply a couple of more and you are good to go! Personally looking back at it, I would probably go without the textured paint as the rest of my factory blacked out parts are smooth, but it does have a great look to it! It matches the texture of the factory black plastic.
Looks good Robbie. I used the duplicolor bumper black on mine. Looks exactly the same as the TT black end caps which are not exactly the same color as the rest of the bumpers (not sure if that was purposeful or not on Toyotas part). Looks like on the 2011 TT they FINALLY have a black hitch valance....:clap:

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Looks awesome man!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts