Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rock rail owners what is your brand and what is combined weight? I'm weighing my stock before I start welding. Just trying to get a average, I don't want to comprimise my vision but weight vs stength is a factor.

a search resulted in minimal info, my eyes hurt and im lazy.
thank you.

numbers so far:
rastas 55
demellos 90
all-pro 75
metal tech 110
demello hybrids 70
bud built 75

·
Premium Member
9,345 Posts
My Demellos weigh in at about 85 pounds for the pair.

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts
Metal-Tech, about 110 lbs (as per shipping/invoice) for the pair.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
My Demellos weigh in at about 85 pounds for the pair.
ditto (but I believe they are 90 lbs. ;) ).

I'm sporting my Demello girly shirt right now. It's sexy baby, yeah! So are the sliders, even if they ARE pretty shiny, haha (that was for Jason).

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Weight isn't a very good determining factor for strength vs. overall weight.

Go with wall thickness.

If you are planning anything less than .120" wall 1.75" round tubing you will likely be disappointed with the dimpling you will undoubtedly get.

If you want something that will hold up great....step up to .188" wall or .250" wall DOM....WITH at least 3 to 5 legs mounting it to the frame.

Obviously, 2x2x.250 or 2x2x.188 square tubing will also make very tough sliders.....just up to you what you want in terms of looks.

HTH,
Sean

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts

Go with wall thickness.

If you are planning anything less than .120" wall 1.75" round tubing you will likely be disappointed with the dimpling you will undoubtedly get.

If you want something that will hold up great....step up to .188" wall or .250" wall DOM....WITH at least 3 to 5 legs mounting it to the frame.

Obviously, 2x2x.250 or 2x2x.188 square tubing will also make very tough sliders.....just up to you what you want in terms of looks.

HTH,
Sean
I know this is off topic but...

I am glad you are back helping us out again with your wheeling knowledge and experience.

Good luck with the sliders my name is mudd. Be sure to post pics when you are done, if not while in progress.

:bigthumb:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Go with wall thickness.

HTH,
Sean
Absolutly, just trying to get an idea of where im going to stand. i have more steel than money it woul be easy to armor overload. Mine will be a tad different than the norm but your opion is alway respected. and of coure picture will be posted.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Someone gonna steal my idea which is fine cuase I cant afford many mods.

OK here is Idear:lookaround:

On the bottom surface of the sliders/rails ,for added protection of the Sliders.

A strip of black HDPE:thinkerg::cheers:

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Someone gonna steal my idea which is fine cuase I cant afford many mods.

OK here is Idear:lookaround:

On the bottom surface of the sliders/rails ,for added protection of the Sliders.

A strip of black HDPE:thinkerg::cheers:
Not practical or a good idea for a slider. This is one area that sees so much abrasion that steel (even an AR series or SS for squ. tube) would make much more sense.

Another major problem with HDPE or UHMWPE is that the mechanical attachments you'd have to use would get seriously messed up, making removal for replacement very difficult.

Also, with any plastic, you have to make oversize holes to allow for expansion/shrinking and that could easily lead to shifting and tearing with such a small surface area like a slider.

There is also the issue that HDPE isn't nearly as impact resistant as UHMWPE.

I know Icon has used the plastic strips under their control arms....I'd be interested to see their attachment method....but a control arm will never see the kind of constant use a slider will, so the two aren't really readily comparable.

In short, sliders don't need protection if you build them right....they are designed to protect the vehicle. All they require is a new coat of spray bomb every so often.

Sean

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
rastas 55
demellos 90
all-pro 75
metal tech 110
demello hybrids 70
bud built 75
Thanks boys, my mind is made and the design is all ready blue-printed
and ready to go. Like I said just want to weigh my peices before welding if they come out to 100 pounds a piece well.............they ain't. It's a new concept just somthing I thought of while studing other designs nothing epic. Didn't end up getting what needed and tomorrow is holiday so tuesday I might get it crackin. Feel free to keep it movin for I've gathered mine and now know where I need to be.

But for now I'm going wheelin whos down!

·
Registered
505 Posts
When All-Pro shipped mine, the shipping weight was ~75#s

·
Premium Member
6,956 Posts
OEM sliders, one of the best out there (without a step-function), and they are about 75-80 pounds total.
I loved my OEM sliders. Sat my whole truck on them and slid back and forth until I was no longer high centered on one obstacle.

Then there was that trail with the wet slick leaves, and the happy little stump sitting off to the side. I lost some traction, started to slide a little, and next thing I know gravity had pulled me down onto the stump. Ooops.

Tried to get out to see what was wrong and my door wouldn't open because it had a stump wedged into it. My first real FJ trail damage. Off came the OEM's when I got home and the All-Pro's were ordered.

They may be solid, but offer no side protection. My All-Pro's have seen very similar scenarios and I haven't sustained any more dents from incidences like that.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
I loved my OEM sliders. Sat my whole truck on them and slid back and forth until I was no longer high centered on one obstacle.

Then there was that trail with the wet slick leaves, and the happy little stump sitting off to the side. I lost some traction, started to slide a little, and next thing I know gravity had pulled me down onto the stump. Ooops.

Tried to get out to see what was wrong and my door wouldn't open because it had a stump wedged into it. My first real FJ trail damage. Off came the OEM's when I got home and the All-Pro's were ordered.

They may be solid, but offer no side protection. My All-Pro's have seen very similar scenarios and I haven't sustained any more dents from incidences like that.
Just keep in mind though....while it's true that the farther the slider sticks out, the more body protection it affords; it's also true that it makes the vehicle's profile wider and you can more easily become 'wedged' on a obstacle with the larger slider.

Sean

1 - 20 of 24 Posts