Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
9,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm kinda new a the whole off roading thing so please bear with me if this is a stupid question. In many of the designs I'm seeing from the popular vendors many use square tubing. I would think this would be a counter intuitive design because of the amount of surface area (abrasion resistance) the square offers over a round tube.

If one is stuck on the rail a round tube offers less resistance in getting unstuck v.s. the square wouldn't it? Or is this of little significance in real life and I'm over thinking the issue?

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Theoretically you are correct that friction of two flat surfaces would be greater than a round and flat surface.

However, rocks and other obstacles encountered on the trail are irregular shapes and the friction factor difference is so small it doesn't matter. The objective of the rock rails are to prevent obstacle damage to your rocker panels by being the point of first contact.

Find a pair of rock rail that suit your needs (strongly consider a forum vendor) and go for it.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have noticed there is dents in the square tubing on my sliders but none in the round.Get sliders with a rear kickout.:)

·
Premium Member
16,779 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts