Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put on my trail gear rock sliders. I had to take the brake line loose from the frame to get the back bracket on the truck. The gusset on top of the tube competes for the same space. I bolted the line back down when I was done, but it seems like a tight fit. Any one else have this issue? Is the line going to wear on that gusset eventually? Should I have put the line under the sliders?

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
It should be fine on the top, I wouldn't keep it below the sliders, much safer above it.:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had the same issue last month. I routed the line over the top of the gusset. It was tight. I left the foward most bracket disconnected. Although I didnt like that idea. I had no choice. I didnt want to put excess tension on the brake line. I did however, leave the rear frame bracket attached. I will probably split a piece of rubber hose and zip tie it around the brake line where it contacts the gusset. good luck.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
I have a similar issue with the BudBuilt sliders on my rig. I had them installed by a shop because they already had the truck for paint work. There is a hole in the rear gusset for the break line to go through, but for some reason the tech didn't use it and just put it on top. Haven't had any issues, but eventually when I upgrade to SS braided lines, I'll install them properly. I don't know what the gusset looks like on your sliders, but you may be able to drill a hole and thread it through. The OEM sliders have a totally different design for the mounts so tis isn't an issue. It looks like a C so the lines just run through the center channel.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
There are two metal brackets that hold the brake line to the frame next to the sliders. Switch them around (i.e. front one goes to back, back one goes to front). Works perfectly.

FYI: This is noted in several of the install threads for the trail gear sliders if you want more detail.

·
Registered
291 Posts
There are two metal brackets that hold the brake line to the frame next to the sliders. Switch them around (i.e. front one goes to back, back one goes to front). Works perfectly.

FYI: This is noted in several of the install threads for the trail gear sliders if you want more detail.

I also have the Trail Gear and switched brackets as well ~24K no problems

·
Premium Member
4,051 Posts

I just installed my Metal-Tech sliders. Thanks for the tip though I did not swap the two brackets. There is still slack and enough to insert a cut 3/8 rubber hose on top of the gusset as an added protection for the brake line.

·
Premium Member
3,129 Posts
I did the swap and got rubbing on two points now. Just for kicks, I took the longer bracket form the other side and it is even better running than stock. No rubbing ANYWHERE! Ordering two more of the rear brackets now for the other side.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts