Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, I'd like to contribute to this forum by sharing a slider comparison guide I've been working on. Being engineering and machinist oriented I feel compelled to know every spec possible on certain products before I buy. I know there is a buyer's guide already, but that one seemed outdated and I wanted to start fresh. I currently have OEM sliders and am looking to upgrade (well, I'm always looking to upgrade everything). This is a spreadsheet I put together to compare sliders only, no side steps. Please I encourage you, help me add to the information by posting below or if you have any ideas on making it easier to read. I only posted what I could find, not assuming any of it. Some websites are vague and ambiguous, makes searching annoying! Vendors, and anyone who has these products please help me keep it updated. I'm thinking I may not be able to get away without adding an inner rail column? Suggestions welcomed.

Some explanations/notes:
HREW = Hot Rolled, Electrically Welded steel. This type of forming process is cheaper than DOM, contains a weld seam, and is weaker than DOM steel.

DOM = Drawn over mandrel. Anyone who works with steel knows cold working processes increase strength. Significantly stronger than HREW and more resistant to bending. This process also creates a higher dimension tolerance and finish than HREW. Like HREW, DOM steel technically also has a weld seam, but a lot of people seem to confuse it with CDS (cold drawn seamless) which is basically DOM without a weld.

CREW = Cold Rolled, Electrically Welded. Very similar to DOM, but slight process differences used to create.

Tips/Misc. Notes:
-Randomly ordered.
-If there's not a cost in either powder coated or bare metal, then it's not offered for sale.
-When choosing sliders, I would suggest first deciding if you want any kickout or not. This will help filter your search immensely.
-When buying sliders, look for group buys or holiday deals from vendors on this forum, they're happening all the time.
-If you want OEM sliders, buy them used for a significant discount, also being sold all the time here.
-If you plan on using your sliders as intended, consider bare metal. Easier to touch up scratches with a rattle can.
-"Pure" branded sliders appear to be the same as All-Pro standard duty.
-Lifetime warranty is usually only against bending.
-Shrockworks seems to be under represented on these forums. Seems like a very good lower cost HD option, especially when bare steel, but sexy powder coat colors are cool too.
-Hardware should be included with all of them, but make sure.
-Anyone run Toytec? Not on their website, but on redlinelandcruiser's? Also never really heard of them, they sold anymore?

Click at least twice on lower attachment to view full screen.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The end game of this thread being: any easy way to compile and research every slider out there for the FJ. A lot of these brands I never knew existed until I searched deep. I know people are gonna say: "this thread is worthless without pics!". I understand, but I also didn't want to clutter it up with a ton of pictures that you've all seen before that would take forever to load. Going to the manufacturer's website is easy enough. That being said, if you like your sliders or have a "rare brand", definitely post your pics below. I couldn't even find decent pictures for some of them in my search. I don't mind this being a bit of a B.S. thread as long as it stays useful and relevant. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
417 Posts
I am afraid my eye sight prevents me from interpreting your chart.

I was going to get a pair of OEM sliders until somebody dented my door at less than 500 miles in a parking lot.

I got a pair of DeMello Tubular sliders which obtrude from the lower body panel by about 3-4 inches and although they took awhile to ship and are not cheap, they not only work great off road but on parking lot too.

Unless you have a high riding truck, if you carelessly open your door next to my FJ you are going to be stuck with some pretty expensive body work.

Those things are really beautiful beasts!

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Thanks, much more out there than I ever thought or heard of. Nice chart. It seems it may benefit from some additions from forum members that have some of these. I, for instance, could go measure the outside diameter of my sliders to fill in a hole in the chart.

Nice work.

·
Admin
6,587 Posts
I can attest and wholeheartedly endorse the All-Pro Apex sliders. I whacked them like crazy and haven’t dented or bent them at all…. And when I say “whacked”… I rammed the weight of the whole FJ against them repeatedly when I was being pulled out after breaking my front driveshaft.

Around here leaving anything bare metal and it becomes coated quite quickly in rust. Painting in this climate is best left to the professionals unless you have experience in this field and prep the heck out of it.

I, and many others, get things powdercoated with a good zinc primer and then use the rattlecan for touch-ups. No, it doesn’t fill in the gouges in the powdercoat on the underside but it does make it look great again and prevents rust.
I have seen the aftermath of someone spraypainting their own sliders and it was peeling within the first 6 months and looked horrible.

:cheers:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks for compiling this! I'm saving up for sliders and it helps to be able to see all my options in one place. Learned of a few brands I was previously unaware of

·
Registered
97 Posts
Also, after reading the thread about the Xplore edition FJ that was recently sold and researching its roof rack, I happened upon a company called "Garvin Wilderness Products" that sells sliders for $455 @ this site

·
Registered
8 Posts
Also, after reading the thread about the Xplore edition FJ that was recently sold and researching its roof rack, I happened upon a company called "Garvin Wilderness Products" that sells sliders for $455 @ this site
Garvin wilderness has been around for a long time and have a good reputation. They primarily make bumpers and racks for Jeeps.

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
Be nice to fill in some of the gaps on that chart. I know I was VERY surprised when my X-wings showed up, went to move them into the house and "whoa theses are heavy!". As far as I can see the web sight does not list the weight.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Great info here. Thanks Iconic . Here's some feedback for your great thread. I am running Trail Gear sliders, and while they are well built I must give them a D+ rating. If you are simply looking for something to step on and for rocker protection and don't care at all about break over angles, then these might be perfect for you.

In my opinion a well designed slider should be angled upwards so that the upper outer tube is just barely under the door, thus giving you optimum break over capabilities. These trail Gear sliders aren't angled upward at all. After receiving them I called them at once. The man I talked to knew exactly what I was referring to. He said that they had quite a discussion about whether to angle them up or not. They opted to make them level so people could step on them easier. Boooooooooooo.

On a side note, they would not take them back because I had them professionally powder coated, (WTH???) even if I paid shipping...... Booooooooooo.

I imagine this summer I'll cut them up and build them the correct way.

·
Admin
6,587 Posts
Great info here. Thanks Iconic . Here's some feedback for your great thread. I am running Trail Gear sliders, and while they are well built I must give them a D+ rating. If you are simply looking for something to step on and for rocker protection and don't care at all about break over angles, then these might be perfect for you.

In my opinion a well designed slider should be angled upwards so that the upper outer tube is just barely under the door, thus giving you optimum break over capabilities. These trail Gear sliders aren't angled upward at all. After receiving them I called them at once. The man I talked to knew exactly what I was referring to. He said that they had quite a discussion about whether to angle them up or not. They opted to make them level so people could step on them easier. Boooooooooooo.

On a side note, they would not take them back because I had them professionally powder coated, (WTH???) even if I paid shipping...... Booooooooooo.

I imagine this summer I'll cut them up and build them the correct way.
Anybody that sees my sliders (All-Pro Apex) that don't wheel automatically assume that I've bent them up wheeling. I have to tell them "Nope, that's the way it's supposed to be".
:cheers:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts